What's a coil pack for Scenic? - Freewheel
My 2000 W reg Renault Scenic 1.6 Petrol Alize is running on 3 cylinders, which surprises me. Car only done 40k, recently serviced. Went to the dealer this morning, says it'll probably be the coil pack, whatever that is! He said it was a 1 hour job to change, but my question is this:
Can a half skilled DIY mechanic do it, as I am loathed to give dealers money for simple fit and replace jobs?
Does anyone know or have they changed a coil pack before? I was told that they replaced HT leads...was there anything wrong with having HT leads in the first place? They always seemed reliable to me on previous cars.
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - johndunstan
Instead of having leads and a dizzy we now have coil packs which sit ontop of the spark plug and provide the elecricity to make the sparkplug spark (does that make sence?), so it's like having 4 coils, and yes they are fairly easy to change

I think that's right

John
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - Sprice
As your car is out of warranty, there is no need to have the dealer do the work. Buy the part yourself (perhaps from an outfit like GSF-German,French and Swedish) and fit it yourself, which im sure a Haynes manual will explain!
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - ihpj
You might be worth looking at another car publication website where Coil pack failures on Ren-no models are quite common. They will be able to advise you on what/where/how to go about the replacement, since if one coil fails, it is always best to replace the lot. If your car has a FULL Ren-no S/H and is low m,ileage etc. then you might be able to get help from RCS (ren-no Cust. Serv.) to help with the cost etc.

But certainly do look on that website forum since there are a LOT of disgrunteld Ren-no owners suffering from any number of faults and failures with their cars - might be worth spending a few minutes there, asking the same question and you might end up saving a LOT of money.

The name of the palce is the same as the name for Lady Penelope's chauffer in Thunderbirds :)
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - Altea Ego
Its a known problem with Renaults, A manufacturer supplied a very large batch of defective coil packs to a large number of manufacturers inc VW.

All four need to be changed the othyers will fail. Tell your delear you want them changed for free as its a known problem.

IHJP?

How many times do you have to tell any poor soul who comes on here with a problem to go and see some other site and state that millions of renaults are having problems. Look around my friend and check some of the other manufacturer comments.

Frankly you keep repeating it is getting on my wick.
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - Freewheel
Thanks all for this, sheds some light on the problem. The dealer also said I shouldn't drive very far as it will be putting neat petrol straight onto the CAT. Ulp.

'Tell your delear you want them changed for free as its a known problem.'

Do you think they would have offered then and there if this was the case? Or is this a push it and they might. I bought the car privately, so am assuming my local Renault dealer will tell me to go take a running jump...

PS. How much is a coil pack set?
Others have had "assistance" from Renault - even outside warranty with this. Tell them you know its a known problem, and insist they get on to Renault technical services. All four need to be changed, and there is a better then 50/50 chance Renault will pay for it if you pressure it.
Ah - just checked - you have a 2000 scenic. You may have one with a SINGLE coil pack. Its a black box, sealed, with 4 HT leads coming out of it.

Lift the bonnet and give it a check.

If its a single coil pack then you wont get assistance, but at least it can be fitted yourself and all four are replaced in the one unit.

If you have 4 individual coil packs fitted directly onto the plugs then these are the faulty ones you can get assistance with.

Sorry bout the confusion
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - Adam {P}
Hi Freewheel,

I'm afraid I can't help you with any specifics but I can tell you if there was a problem then no car manufacturer in the world would offer to replace anything. They'd never make any money.

Good example - my boot lid started rusting. The car was 5 years old and it later turned out to be a design fault of my car. I went to Ford, armed with the official technical service bulletin outlining it and he denied it being a problem. Wanted 600 quid to sort it. If I'd have pushed, I would have got it done but I realised I didn't want those clowns respraying my car. I got it done at my Dad's mate for 250. That was the boot and the bonnet.

What I'm trying to say is, they wouldn't have offered there and then. It's not often I tell people to push but if it is a design fault, then I would certainly let them know that you know...

Now I'm confused!!!

Good luck
--
Adam
How many times do you have to tell any poor soul
who comes on here with a problem to go and see
some other site and state that millions of renaults are having
problems. Look around my friend and check some of the other
manufacturer comments.

>>

The guy asked a question and I tried to help. If he isn't aware of the problem associated with his Renault vehicle, and I really don't see the comprehensive posts on this partiuclar website forum relating to the issues with Renault - so I pointed him in the right direction. I am niether implying nor endorsing any particular criticism of Renault merely using my own (recent past) as a guide tool and the current state of play with Renault as a whole. They're having more than their fair share of problems and I beleive they have dropped down the JD Power survey for reliability lsitings accordingly. So this isn't my own opinnion - its just an unfortunate fact.
Frankly you keep repeating it is getting on my wick.

>>

Well if people keep asking, then they'll keep getting the same answer - you don't like it? Don't read my comment. We all use the Forum for help and advice, and I'm just trying to do my best to give back because sometimes, people don't check other forums and areas. So what IS the problem?

Free country last time I checked.
BTW, I've only replied like this twice.
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - alan kearn
If you want to see a LOAD of Renault problems go here

www.forum.parkers.co.uk/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8
Gosh thats helpful.
What's a coil pack for Scenic? - Adam {P}
Gotta jump in here and back RF up. I thought the faulty coil pack wasn't Renault's fault at all?
--
Adam
I thought the
faulty coil pack wasn't Renault's fault at all?

If you buy a car from the manufacturer, you by it whole. So if it bears the Renault mark and then it develops a fault - you take it back to Renault because thatys from whom you bought the car. You don't take the alternator back to your local Valeo distributor if it fails - no you take it back to the manufacturer of the car. Same with all other parts of the car. Indeed Renault might have been provided 'faulty' parts by their chosen supplier - but the buck stops with them...because you bought a Renault car from them. Could you think of what would happen if when a component failed, you had to then take it back to the various manufacturers?

As in this case the coils are faulty, it's down to Renault.

But as a way of apology, I would like to apologise to RF for any offence caused - man I wasn't just bitchin' about Renault to annoy you. No offence was intended or implied to the other Renault owners out there. Sorry if my post came across that way.

swearing edited. DD