Renault 5 GT Turbo wont start - Bikemix
My son has a 10 year old Renault 5 GT Turbo which has been completly reliable for the last 8 years. Recently the engine blow a head gasket, this we replaced after having the head skimmed. After engine was started it stopped after only about 1 mile. On examination we found there were no sparks at plugs and no power to the petrol pump. Have tried pump across battery and it is fine. Have checked that power is getting thro' the ignition switch in ignition position, OK. Have tried 3 seperate electronic ignition units still no sparks. Have replaced all the relays beside and behind the fuse box, one at a time also another relay tucked up behind the dash and the ignition relay beside the ignition unit all to no avail. Are there any more relays or other items you can suggest replacing or is there a proper wiring diagram that I can obtain rather than the component diagram that are in the Haynes manuals.
Renault 5 GT Turbo wont start - Civic8
I think rather than keep replacing parts.You need to find the cause.I would suspect a supply problem/bad or non existant earth supply.Maybe an earth lead missing that connects to head/cylinder block.Have you checked out supply to electronic ignition..If it has one distributer for any problems??
--
Steve
Renault 5 GT Turbo wont start - mjm
You have tried all the relays, etc, have you looked for blown fuses?
We have checked all the fuses, all OK.
All the parts we replaced are off a spare car so no cost involved. There is no earth lead to cylinder head and all other electrics including starter motor all work. We do not have a supply to the electronic ignition unit or the fuel pup, thats the problem and this makes me think it is a relay problem but cn't track it down as we do not have a simple wiring diagram.
Renault 5 GT Turbo wont start - doade
Have you tried the tdc sensor ?
Renault 5 GT Turbo wont start - ma
If memory serves the oil light switch provides the earth to the pump and distributor. In other words the oil light comes on and the engine is shut down. Is the oil pressure light working ? Has the wire to the switch been disturbed?

Matt
Renault 5 GT Turbo wont start - Civic8
I would suggest getting an auto electrician in.Unless its already been sorted?.Good independants are not expensive and will sort it faster than you can.Apart from that following the wiring code through is the only way to do it.
--
Steve