Lawman's new wheels - The Lawman
Can I throw myself upon the wisdom of the backroom?

I need to replace my ageing and thirsty Seat Toledo GT, as I now have a daily commute of 60 miles. I reckon a 50mpg diesel will save me at least £60 a month, possibly more.

My budget is £6000.

I need something that is big enough to take fishing tackle (and my pub darts team...), so I am thinking of something focus sized. I need aircon, but other toys would be a bonus too. I am not too fussed about "handling" and would like something comfy.

I have tested a 2000 mazda 323 diesel, and was unimpressed with the refinement of the engine, very noisy. The interior was pretty dull too. I am not anxious to pay a premium for an Audi or a VW, but would consider another Seat, either a leon or a Toledo. I am a big fan of japanese reliability, but am unsure about their diesels. I have thought about an Almera 2.2 diesel.

If I go for a Focus, should I hold out for the TDCI? (HJ describes the previous diesel as ancient).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Lawman's new wheels - Happy Blue!
I have driven a Focus with the TDCi engine and think its marvellous.. I am sure you will find a nice Focus with that engine for under £6,000 as the engine has been available for at least 2.5 years.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Lawman's new wheels - Adam {P}
As Espada says - you'll find a decent TDCi for 6 grand. I have to agree with Espada again - the Focus TDCi is marvellous. I've got a Focus now (albeit petrol) but if I had to buy a diesel car, with your budget, I'd be looking at...yep - you guessed it - a Focus TDCi!

If you can't get a TDCi, I wouldn't bother getting a diesel Focus. That's my opinion though.
--
Adam
Lawman's new wheels - Stuartli
One of my offspring has a 2003 Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI - brilliant ride and handling and astonishing quick if you use the torque to the full.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Lawman's new wheels - Altea Ego
Yes I had a TDCi on test for three days. Zippy car no mistake. THe MPG takes a hammering tho when you use it to its full potential.

I find the focus a bit cramped tho, seems roomier in estate format.
and the saloons have cavernous boots.
--
Adam
ADAM!

* SLAP *

Get back in your box
Yes sir RF sir.
--
Adam
I have been a very good boy not mentioning the rump on your Focus, but if you keep flaunting it......!
Yes you have and I'm grateful. I'll shut up now. Honest!
--
Adam
Thanks for all this.

I have been doing some surfing on Autotrader, and I get the impression that Foci hold their value pretty well. I have actually found a 2001 TDCI Mondeo lx for 6k with less than 60k on the clock. Seems like more car for the money.

It seems that one can get a Mondeo for Focus money. That being so, I am tempted to go for the Mondeo (which HJ also highly recommends) as the extra room may well come in handy (my darts team are fairly stereotypical when it comes to physique).

Again, I presume that I should hold out for a TDCI?

Even the Mondeo LX spec seems to come with all the goodies I need and with a combined MPG of just under 50 this would do the trick. Cool sunglasses holder too.
Lawman's new wheels - DavidHM
One thing I would say about Mondeo TDCis is that not all of them that are advertised as such, actually are...

Anything that says it's a tdci 115 earlier than a 52, or any tdci earlier than a 51, is actually a 115 bhp tddi, which isn't a bad car - but it's not what the advertiser says it is.

I prefer to put this down to ignorance, rather than deception, for the most part, but you should know about it before driving 50 miles to see the car.

The Mondeo 2.0 diesels are actually a different unit from the 1.8s in the Focus.
Thanks David, I'd spotted that as well!

I looked yesterday at a 2001 51 reg TDCI (which I think has to be the 130PD version)

It had 60k on the clock and was up for £5995.

An identical car is also advertised locally, albeit with 50k on the clock and for £5,500.

Seems like a lot of car for the money when compared to a Focus.