Steering Play MK3 Fiesta 1991 - Steveo4869
Hi all,
I had an advisory on my recent MOT (Ford Fiesta XR2i 1.6 CVH H reg 1991) of play in the steering wheel and it is quite noticeable the steering wheel does 'rock' quite considerably but obviously not enough to fail test.

I am now going to sort but am confused as to what needs replacing is it the cyclindrical tube which passes over the steering rack and if so is the bush inside this removable or do I need to replace complete rack. I have recently replaced the lower universal joint. Any help much appriciated.
Regards
Steveo
Steering Play MK3 Fiesta 1991 - mfarrow
It could be a number of things. Best to check yourself rather than start replacing parts by having an assistant turn the wheel while you see where the free play is.
Steering Play MK3 Fiesta 1991 - Cliff Pope
It could be one of many things, and as mfarrow says you need someone else to rock the wheel gently while you watch/feel underneath.
Presumably the track rod ends and the swivel joints or whatever it has are OK as it has just passed an MOT?
Look at the joints at the inner ends of the track rod, inside the rubber boot. I'm not familiar with your car, but on many these are adjustable by unscrewing and removing shims, or else can be turned through 90 degrees to present an unworn portion of the ball.
I think on many cars it is possible to replace the rack bushes, but I've always shied away from that and just got an exchange rack. Even with new bushes it might still be the rack itself that is worn.
And don't overlook the obvious like the joint clamp not fully tightening, or the steering wheel a fraction loose on its splines. Also the rack mountings.
Good luck