Mondeo TD squeal/PAS - Demon
How is it that when you fix one thing the next crops up straight away? 1994 Mondeo 1.8 TD. Noticed a couple of times recently that ther's a high pitched squeal when the steering is in full lock. After driving 45 miles home today came round a roundabout and lost the PAS (which is makes things EXTREMELY difficult in this car!) and got squeal at the same time. Had to drive another 4 or 5 miles after the car sat parked for 20 mins, and not only did it do the same all the way home, the amount of turn needed to get it squealing seemed to become less and less. Put simply, before I start fiddling around, is this going to be the auxiliary drivebelt for the power steering pump...? Apparently it's hard to get to in this car bt once you're there fairly easy to change...!? As the cap to the power steering fluid is impossibly difficult to unscrew (so far...), before I check the level, is it even worth doing so or is it that unlikely to have anything to do with it? Any help much appreciated as always!
PS... if it is the drivebelt, will I be taking a risk in driving the car to wherever I get the new one from...? (Not including the risk to the ligaments in my arms whilst steering without the PAS) Thanks!
Mondeo TD squeal/PAS - Civic8
I would advise checking the fluid level..If that low you will lose power steering..fluid with take in air causing it to froth.For safety sake I suggest you dont use it untill you have found the problem. Pump can be damaged by such low fluid level..Assuming it it low..From what you said. sounds like it..Ps will the cap pull off???
--
Steve
Got fluid cap off this morning, eay in the end! Fluid is fine, started car and no power steering or squealing at all... see if i can find the belt now!!
Sorry to keep replying to my own message but... update. Took cover of belt and pressed it, it was moving a good couple of centimetres, and has plenty of small cracks on the inside grooves. Increased the tension a good bit, started car, and power steering back. Will put a new one on this afternoon and that'll fix it, right...?! How hard is it to get one of these belts on a saturday mroning though? Two local ford dealership parts desk weren't answering the phone and both shut at 12, two nearest halfords don't stock them, none of the local independants had one... got my father driving from forty miles away with one, 6.99!
Mondeo TD squeal/PAS - Civic8
Good of your Father to do it.Motor factors may have been a better bet.But that depends on whether you have one in your area..And whether its a part ford only supply.Though I doubt for belt..Another good reason to check for belt wear at regular intervals. Alternator belt as well..As for dealer they are usualy busy on a Saturday morning..For the price would suggest getting a spare inc alternator belt..They can fail at any time
--
Steve