Sat Nav - Which one is best - TheGrocer
I am thinking about purchasing a sat nav for the car. I have looked at Tom Tom units at £400 in PC world and I know some of the PDA (Hand hled PC units) are quite good. I am soon starting a sales job which will mean I am on the road a lot looking for customers home business addresses
Does any body out there recommend one or have experience of them?
Sat Nav - Which one is best - rtj70
If you're looking at a dedicated unit like TomTom Go then hold fire. TomTom have announced their new models at CeBIT. There's now a TomTom Go 300, 500 and 700 with the top model having a built in hard drive and holding the maps of Europe. You can even use them to control a mobile phone via bluetooth.

They have also announced TomTom Navigator version 5 for PDAs etc. Might want to take a look at www.pocketgps.co.uk for info on sat nav units.

Personally I use TomTom Navigator 3 on a HP iPAQ and wouldn't be without it! Also does speed cameras. Now also have Ordnance Survey maps on the PDA for walking too...
Sat Nav - Which one is best - martint123
I got a pda one a month ago on an impulse. Works a treat. The software was the Medion stuff, Navigon I think, and works well although there are more addons available for TomTom. One add on is a free postcode utility where you can enter a postcode and it takes you there. Much easier than proding the screen putting a town and street in with a stylus.

I wish I had one of these when I was on the road a few years ago, it would have saved hours of time and loads of phone calls.

Martin
Sat Nav - Which one is best - Dynamic Dave

Some of the notes in this recent thread *may* help.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29695
Sat Nav - Which one is best - MichaelR
Go for PDA - the second you get out of the car it becomes a useful business tool as well, whereas a dedicated Satnav unit just sits there, and costs more, and does the same thing anyway..
Sat Nav - Which one is best - Jono_99
Or, it becomes something else to synchronise with everything else in your life! I made a conscious decision to give up my PDA, as my mobile (Nokia 6230 with contacts and diary) and laptop (with everything) were more than enough to keep me up to date with what I should be doing, and keeping them in-step with each other is not too onerous.

Depends on what you not only have but of that, what you regularly use.
Sat Nav - Which one is best - djcj
Hi all, I use a laptop with autoroute and a garmin GPS pluged into the com port. Big screen with me in the middle of a rolling map! Speed and elevation readout. Full trip recorder (on the gps). Search facility,all the fuel stops that take my fuel card, zooming maps and all those "places of interest"! Then there is the dvd and all the other things you can do with a laptop when on a break or night out in the lorry.

Does for me!

Clive.

Sat Nav - Which one is best - djcj
oh yes , the laptop was £350 (750Mhz Dell CPx)and the garmin was about £125.

Clive.
Sat Nav - Which one is best - Big John
As well as using my PDA as a Sat Nav I also play mp3's though my car's stereo.

I use ALK's CoPilot V4 as the Sat Nav software, great for pre-planning and saving trips using waypoints as well as the final destination.(great for avoiding Paris when driving through France!) Some versions of SatNav software wont let you do this. The last thing you want to be doing when driving your car is playing your Sat Nav to try and persuade it to go where you want it to go!

P.S. It is also possible(as with many others) to import speed camera gps positions from www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php .
Sat Nav - Which one is best - Activa
I have a Navman PIN 300, bought from Dixons - £399. Works very well. It's a Mitac Mio 168 PDA with the Navman SmartST V3 software.