PDA Satnav advice please - PhilW
Yes, I have had a good read through past posts using the forum search, but I am still very ignorant of these things!
I feel like treating myself to a new "toy" and fancy a PDA with satnav. Have seen a Navman Pin 300 for £399 in PC world and there are also a couple on ebay for around the £300 mark. Anyone with any experience of these systems? Any advice with regard to advantages/disadvantages welcome. Any better systems for about the same price? I fancy something that is movable from car to car and also fancy the PDA bit as well as the Satnav bit. Thanks in advance!!
PhilW
P.S. please use simple language - I ain't too hot with regard to modern technology!!

PDA Satnav advice please - Aprilia
I've tried a few systems and have two PDA-based ones in use at the moment.

HP IPAQ 2210 with a wired GPS receiver and TomTom3 is a good value combination at about your budget.
PDA Satnav advice please - Altea Ego
As long as you choose one that comes with TomTom you will be fine.
Blimey, that was quick! Is TomTom the navigation software that comes with it?
On the ebay items I can't find mention of the software
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1
Nor on PC World site though it does say that mapping software is provided by "Tele Atlas"

I also notice that there is a Medion MD40600 at PC world for £249. Is this the same as the Aldi one mentioned in previous posts? Mapping software is Navtech. Any opinions?
Thanks again
Actually one of the ebat ones says :-
"SmartST? v3 key features: Full 3D colour maps; Back-on-Track? route re-calculation; Turn by Turn Guidance; Postcode search and improved address data; Clear, precise voice instruction; Detailed Points of Interest: Unlock for one region."
Any good?

Yes TomTom is the software that comes with it. It can run on Palm's or Pocket PC's, but works better on pocket PC's.

The first Ebay item you mentioned seems to be running TomTom from the look of it. The more meory you have (on SD cards if required) the more you can load on the pocket PC.

Some setup will come with a separate plug in GPS module (the ones on ebay you mention have it built in), so you can mount the GPS aerial nearer the screen.

Dont forget if you have a heat reflective windscreen you will need to fiddle about placing the antenna.

PDA Satnav advice please - CG
I have exactly the same setup as Aprilia - 2210 and TT3. I don't have experience of any other types but I can say that this works a treat for me.

CG
PDA Satnav advice please - ma
I run a Medion PDA100 With navigator 4 purchased from Halfords to which I have added speed camera overlays etc. Works fine for me

Matt
If you can - get one with full European mapping. Thats when you need it most.
PDA Satnav advice please - davwood
have a look at

www.pocketgps.co.uk/

Thanks all for your very prompt and informative replies.
Happy driving!
Phil
PDA Satnav advice please - Marky Mark
Hi,
I run an Ipaq 4150 with bluetooth Tom Tom v3 software & it is faultless.

You should be able to get your own system fairly cheaply if you go the PDA route. Pick up an older Ipaq 3870/3970 (both have bluetooth) for around £120-£150 from Ebay (both have good quality speakers so you don't need mounts with speakers) & the Tom Tom software + a bluetooth receiver (believe me, it's much easier cabling wise!) - should get plenty of change from £300.

MM
PDA Satnav advice please - teabelly
The gadget show did a review of the navman and tom tom go. They concluded that the navman was unreliable as the screen would often freeze and go back to the start so you didn't know whether it was still navigating or not. The tom tom go at the time didn't let you put in postcodes for a destination which they found annoying but it did pick the best and quickest route of the three they tested. The tom tom out performed a factory fit nissan satnav system.

If I were to spend £300 then I'd go for the Tom Tom.
teabelly
PDA Satnav advice please - IanJohnson
Am running TT3 on a 2210 with Compact Flash GPS from e-bay. Works a treat with the added advantage of being able to use it away from the car.
GPS receiver cam with a remote aerial which is not needed in the Accord but was needed in a pool Laguna where the CF aerial could not get a signal throught the Renault's screen - just put it on top of the sunroof screen!
PDA Satnav advice please - SjB {P}
I second TomTom3 with an iPAQ 2210 and Compact Flash receiver. In my case the latter is a brilliant, fast, super sensitive - even works shut in the glove box! - SysOnChip device with the advantage of having 256MB built in memory. In other words, it still functions as a storage device, on which I have loaded the TomTom application itself and GB maps plus UK and Europe speed cameras from two web-based communities. I thus only carry TomTom when I want to use it. I also purchased TT maps of Europe for just over £100, which I loaded on to a 1GB SD card (the 2210 has both CF and CD slots). In fact, an hour ago I got back from using this setup through Belgium & France. Never has such a journey been so easy. Not one wrong turn, and an efficient itinerary to boot. The iPAQ is mounted in an Arkon active (powered & amplified) cradle which slots straight on (and easily off) to an excellent Brodit Proclip tailor made for the Volvo V70. I have protected the 2210 screen with a statically-stuck transluscent protector, which also improves contrast and reduces glare in direct sunlight. The whole setup -was about £550, and worth every penny.
PDA Satnav advice please - Keith S
I got an O2 XDA 2. Because I was due a new mobile phone anyway, it made perfect sense as it was £100 with o2 mobile contract.

I've got the TomTom bluetooth GPS sensor and it works perfectly in my car - with heat reflective windscreen. I got it for £100 on ebay.

Its a bit of a brick as a mobile phone, but I'm finding that I use the pda features more & more with time.

The calendar & task lists are invaluable. Never need to forget anything again.
PDA Satnav advice please - Rats
I have the Mitac Mio with Co-Pilot software......very pleased with it so far, the PDA comes with an integrated GPS receiver, so you don't have to plug an additional receiver in, although it comes with an external aerial if required.

Apparently, cars with heated front screens can cause a few promlems with receiving a signal, so, might be worth checking that out first.

The only other thing I would advise is to get a decent mount, preferably a powered one, so you can just drop the PDA in like a mobile....
Thanks again for the input - am swatting up like mad on some very good sites (including the pocketgps one recommended by davwood above.) I am absolutely amazed at what these little boxes of tricks can get up to. Looking forward to getting a new toy and seeing whether it is all true!
PDA Satnav advice please - MichaelR
I use a Dell Axim X50v with TomTom3 and a Bluetooth receiver. It works perfectly and also gives me audiable warnings of speed cameras, and reminds me if I am exceeding the speed limit. It's excellent, has not let me down yet, does not crash in operation and is easy to use.

You don't need an X50v just for Satnav - mine was over £300 becuase it has a 624Mhz CPU, Wifi etc but I wanted a full function PDA as well.

The X50 424Mhz version is suitable for Satnav, is asthetically pleasing and costs just £212 direct from Dell.
PDA Satnav advice please - NARU
If you want to go cheaper, check out www.rdc.co.uk/shops/main.php

They regularly have cheap refurb Dell X3 and X5 models and have a good reputation. I bought my PDA direct from dell, but I did buy the dell bluetooth gps from RDC (£90 incl maps).
PDA Satnav advice please - SjB {P}
Writing from Linkoping in Sweden, yesterday I used the iPAQ 2210 / SysOnChip CF card antenna / TomTom3 setup I wrote about above in my Ryanair flight to Skavsta. (Yes, I did ask for, and was granted, permission to do so)

505MPH ground speed for most of the flight, and interesting to follow the route.

PDA Satnav advice please - rcspeirs
I use mapstore/via michelin on a palm tungsten T3. Overall, I am hugely impressed with what it does for the price (EUR 150 plus cost of PDA). Especially as it includes maps for the whole of europe - this made a holiday in Italy so much easier.

The software works extremely well once set up, but entering a new destination can be a bit of a faff. I am also a bit frustrated that even if I set 'shortest route', the software jumps back to 'quickest route' at the drop of a hat.

The bluetooth GPS receiver seems to have very good battery life - happily goes all day without a recharge. It would not work in front window of a rented picasso - but I solved that by putting it on the rear parcel shelt instead.

The price asked for factory fitted GPS seems a dreadful rip off compared with what you can get on PDA devices now.