Service Oil overfill - Ian J
A friends Daihatsu would appear to have had too much oil put in at service - not my work I hasten to add. Would this do any damage given that when I opened the bonnet the engine was covered in oil the oil filler cap was missing and you could see that the oil was practically coming out the top of the engine. I suspect that the filler cap was blown off by the oil pressure.
I checked the manual but there was surprisingly no mention of the consequences of overfill. I would be concerned about damage to oil seals and the catalyst. Any advice welcomed.
Service Oil overfill - Roger Jones
Yes, overfilling with oil is bad news. Don't ask me to recollect exactly why (cat. damage is one issue, I think, seals another), but you'll find out via a search of the forum, as the topic has come up several times before.

Anyway, your friend should drain off the excess as soon as possible, which probably means draining completely and then refilling with the correct amount according to the handbook. If it was overfilled by a servicing garage, take it back to them and leave them in no doubt that it was a serious error and that they are liable for any damage it may have caused. If they are not contrite and apologetic, don't go near them again.
Service Oil overfill - Altea Ego
It might not have been overfilled and blown the cap off, possible yes. More likely is that they forgot to put the cap on. A lot of oil (or it should) gets sprayed around the rocker box, and this oil sparays out of the filler hole, and gets everywhere.

Either way, the Garage did it the garage should fix it.
Fix it means:
1: A really good engine and engine bay clean.
2: New filler cap
3: The oil rechecked to the correct level (its probably lost a lot)

All this needs to be documented on a receipt in the event of possible future problems.
Service Oil overfill - dylan
Years ago a fast fit place left the oil cap off my Rover 213 after an oil change. Only noticed when I saw 'steam' rising from the engine. Opened the bonnet and there was oil all over the place.

Wiped the engine clean with a rag, and while doing so found the cap - it was neatly stored on one side of the engine bay.
Service Oil overfill - Ian J
Thanks to all who responded. Car was returned to offending dealer to have the car cleaned up and the service done correctly this time. The filler cap was located neatly stacked in the engine bay. So far apparently everything appears ok although incident was properly documented in case of any future related problems.
Service Oil overfill - mfarrow
I'm intrigued. What causes all the oil to spill over? Is it just squirted out by the valve gear lubrication jets?

I have to be thankful I've never had the problem, though I know when I've left the cao off because of jerky running and loss of power.
Service Oil overfill - Altea Ego
Yes there are oil sprays in there, how much depends on the design. Mostly tho its thrown around by the valve gear. The oil being hot gets quite thin, (like water, and comes out all over the place. It also depends on where and how much of a neck the filler has.

Try a test. Get your car warm, take off the filler cap and let it idle, maybe rev it for a tick and see how much comes out!
Service Oil overfill - mjm
Don't stand too close or lean over the cap, though, and wear oil stained clothes, you will be surprised how far the stuff goes.
Too much oil can result in severe engine damage, caused by hydraulic action. I have seen a Proton engine which had been grossly overfilled(by 5 litres) and when it stopped the cylinders contained a considerable amount of it. Luckily the oil fouled the plugs and stopped it.
Service Oil overfill - quizman
When my brother worked at a main dealer, he serviced alot of nearly new cars. He put new oil in the engine one day and went for a test run. The only trouble was, he had not let the old oil out! The engine had to be replaced, the owner was not too pleased.

If I have to have an operation, I am going to insist on a local anasthetic, so I can keep an eye on the doctors.
Service Oil overfill - David Horn
They put up a sheet so you can't see. Also, do you really want to be awake to hear them say, "Oops, I seem to have lost my watch in there somewhere?" :-)
Service Oil overfill - mfarrow
Try a test. Get your car warm, take off the filler
cap and let it idle, maybe rev it for a tick
and see how much comes out!

Answer: none. Just as well for the sake of the drive and engine bay!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Service Oil overfill - v8man
When I was 18 I had a lovely Rover 2000TC P6. I did an oil change and forget to replace the filler cap. The mess and smell was unbelievable. I nearly had a fit thinking the engine had let go until I spotted the filler cap staring back at me from the engine bay.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Service Oil overfill - Pete M
I can remember in about 19-ahem, doing an oil change on my Austin A30, pouring the oil in and noticing a growing yellow tide on the garage floor, having forgotten to replace the sump plug. Never did that again, a rather good, if expensive lesson.
Service Oil overfill - L'escargot
I think that one of the main risks of overfilling is that the crankshaft big ends can dip in the oil and cause (a) churning of the oil, which can lead to foaming of the oil and (b) mechanical damage to bearings.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Service Oil overfill - Civic8
>>I think that one of the main risks of overfilling is that the crankshaft big ends can dip in the oil and cause (a) churning of the oil, which can lead to foaming of the oil and (b) mechanical damage to bearings.

Biggest problem lies in piston on coming down.If the oil is filled to point it blocks the bottom of the cylinder.air presure will cause oil to push downward and outward.Knocking out oil seals. due to pressure..To put it simply.One or two cm overfill you may get away with.past this possible trouble!
--
Steve
Service Oil overfill - DrS
Had a Diesel Rover 25 a few years back, which the garage habitually overfilled.
Well, on two consecutive services at least: Both times blew the oil seal, fouled up the clutch plate, which was replaced under warranty each time.
The car also ate three gearboxes over the course of the 14 months which I owned it.
Never lost a gearbox before or since, so I don't think that it was my driving style!