Can I demand they repair it FOC? - holly1
Know this might sound a stupid question but if a garage damages your car whilst its with them, am I within my rights to get them to do the necessary repairs free of charge?

Garage took my car last week for a repair which required the removal of the fuel tank. In doing so they spilt most of the fuel in my car. What happens when I get my car back and it still stinks of fuel or worst still the seats or something are damaged in some way. Can I refuse it until they have cleaned it up properly?
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - GrahamF1
Of course you can.

Don't take any messing around from them.
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - mfarrow
If the garage is half decent they would have put those clear plastic covers over the seats to protect them from grime from overalls. If they damage something, then yes they should repair it. But if they're real nasty they might deny it. In which case it might turn into a case of your word against theirs.

As for petrol, they shouldn't be spilling it in the car as the tank's underneath usually. If the car does smell of petrol through excess fumes getting in then I don't think it's the kind of stuff you can just 'clear up'. Petrol smells don't usually last that long anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - madf
Petrol smells are vary dangerous in a confined space.
One spark and you have a bomb with inflammable seats/plastics etc.

madf

Can I demand they repair it FOC? - BobbyG
Excuse the ignorance but how can the removal of a petrol tank result in fuel being spilt over the seats?
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - Dynamic Dave
Excuse the ignorance but how can the removal of a petrol
tank result in fuel being spilt over the seats?

Could be wrong, but IIRC, Daisy has a Corsa. If the fuel pump and sender unit is located where it was on my old Cavalier, you gained access to it by lifting up the rear seat and removing an inspection panel.
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - Civic8
It could be they used the sender unit access to drain the tank.before removal.in which case fumes get into the car.Have no doubt it will be clear by the time you get it back..Unless there was a leak on drain pipe. unlikely raw fuel will enter car/only fumes?.
--
Steve
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - BazzaBear {P}
>> Excuse the ignorance but how can the removal of a
petrol
>> tank result in fuel being spilt over the seats?
Could be wrong, but IIRC, Daisy has a Corsa. If the
fuel pump and sender unit is located where it was on
my old Cavalier, you gained access to it by lifting up
the rear seat and removing an inspection panel.

Spot on, SWMBO has just purchased a Corsa, and the back seat was loose, I saw the inspection hatch you mention while fixing it back in place.
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - cheddar
>> Excuse the ignorance but how can the removal of a
petrol
>> tank result in fuel being spilt over the seats?
Could be wrong, but IIRC, Daisy has a Corsa. If the
fuel pump and sender unit is located where it was on
my old Cavalier, you gained access to it by lifting up
the rear seat and removing an inspection panel.

Likewise Clio.
Can I demand they repair it FOC? - Civic8
The petrol has to be pumped out of the tank..Not certain of newer cars.But an anti syphon plate/or similar. was fitted to filler pipe to prevent anyone Nicking your fuel..As draining off the tank is very slow using petrol feed to engine.Its faster to drain off removing sender unit.Large barrel tube on pump.wont take long to drain..This is why I suspect car full of fumes.Not raw petrol.Try removing any tank half full of petrol..Not easy??
--
Steve