Renault and the cold - Xileno {P}
We're off to central France for Easter. They are having a very cold snap at the moment, -20c up in the hills I was told yesterday. We will be going in our Megane but should I have anything done to it to prepare it for a rather unpleasant experience. It's only one year old so will still have the factory antifreeze in. Also does diesel freeze up these days or is that something from the past?
In the past on the farm we used to put some petrol in the diesel tanks to stop the fuel waxing but I wouldn't want to do that on a modern hi-tech diesel and it may not be necessary anyway.
Renault and the cold - Altea Ego
XiLeno

Re the diesel, you will be running on UK winter diesel when you leave, this will be good for -10 to -15 anyway. (it has an antiwax added)

I would leave with enough diesel to get you within a 100 miles of where you want to go, and then fill up with the local brew once there. It will be cheaper and have anti wax added appropriate to the local area.

Anti freeze you are fine with the stuuf added at manufacture. Its a Euro wide mix designed to cover you for the Alps.

Make sure you have a heavy concentration of screen wash addative, the premium stuff designed for -20.

Finally my only worry would be the tyres, they should have loads of grip but is it just cold there or do they have thick snow and ice? If the latter then some snow chains in the boot might be a good idea.

But hey it might be warmer by the time you get there!
Renault and the cold - Xileno {P}
Thanks RF for the advice. I am hoping it will be warmer by the time we get there. The main roads are clear but the side ones blocked apparently with thick snow. Better look at getting some snow chains and take a shovel.
Holidays? Who needs them...