Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - Dogbreath2
My car is 6/7 years old with original battery. We use it for short drives and the engine is 2.3 (Honda).

How long should the battery last? I am minded to replace it now.
Battery - Greg R
I wouldn't change the battery until it needs changing. If it starts the engine first time, it shouldn't be changed.
Battery - GrahamF1
Measure the voltage across the terminals, having let the car sit for 20 mins if it's just been used. Should be somewhere between 12.6 and 13 volts.

Anything in the lower 12s and it could probably benefit from a charge-up.

Below 11.5 and it really ought not to be working.
Battery - GrahamF1
And as Greg R says, if it still works ok then leave it where it is. With what they can cost these days, why replace a perfectly good one? Having a brand new shiny battery doesn't add much peace of mind.
Battery - Stuartli
Original equipment manufacture (OEM) batteries and exhausts always seem to last at least twice as long on new cars than subsequent replacements.

If you have a German, French or Swedish car and the time comes - as it will - for a replacement, have a look at www.gsf.co.uk, where you are likely to be able to obtain another original fitment battery or exhaust.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Battery - Dogbreath2
I don't want to leave it until my wife and kids get stuck somewhere so I will replace it. Worry, worry, worry!
Battery - Stuartli
Why not have the battery tested? It will indicate if there are any problems.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Battery - Robin Reliant
When it dies of old age, you will get plenty of warning as it starts to fade. Why waste money?
Battery - Schnitzel
I've not had warnings on my last two, just arrive somewhere like a shop, come back out and dead as a post due to internal breakage of contact. After once waiting hours for AA on a wet bank holiday, and a few years later with another car finding it dead on Christmas Day all set to go somewhere, I replace them after the warranty is up. They are so cheap such as at Costco for BOSCH silvers that you can shop around rather than get one from anywhere you can in an emergenc. Maintenance shouldn't be driven by failure.
Battery - RichardW
A new battery costs about the same as a tank of fuel these days, and yes most modern ones just die without warning, so a pre-emptive change would give plenty of peace of mind.

Not that I practice what I preach of course, because I am a cheap skate!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Battery - Cliff Pope
Not that I practice what I preach of course, because I
am a cheap skate!

As opposed to a cheapskate?

If you apply the "replace it even though it works perfectly just in case" argument then you end up replacing most of the car.
If the battery will still start the car first shot on a freezing morning after being left outside all night then there can't be much wrong with it.

Why not get a new engine just in case?
Battery - madf
My experience of battery failure is:
1. always happens in first half of winter
2. always get a warning: car takes longer to start/lights dim/ battery flat at least once before hand.

I have a battery charger and jump leads so when I get 2> I put battery on charge for 24 hours trickle. If it happens again then new battery. Jump leads provide insuarnce in case of urgency.

Since I always check and top up battery as required twice a year, no major problems. Overheating in summer is the killer so I check in May and then September. Takes at least 5 minutes -use de-ionised water.

Son's 1.1 Fiesta is 13 years old.. battery is at least 7 years old and starts first time everytime.

Diesels of course place a much more heavy load on battery in winter. SWMBO's 1.4 diesel is on its third battery in 12 years..My Audi A4TDI one lasted 4 years before replacing.

madf

Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - ihpj
A battery will have a finite life, most new ones are guarunteed to about four (4) years. My Mother's 1997 Golf 1.8 GL Auto recently needed a new battery and that was the original battery fitted to the car from new. Concensus from people I spoke to was that she definitely got value for money from that battery. But with batteries costing about £50'ish - if you're in doubt get it changed since what price do you place for peace of mind - especially if the car is used to ferry the kiddies?

Incidentally ten days prior to my Mum's battery failing I had had the battery and alternator checked - and both were reproted fine. Battery failure can happen anytime, any place, any where. Any doubts, gets it changed.
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - GrahamF1
Yeah? So why not change any other component under £50 just to be on the safe side?

New brake discs, brake cylinders, thermostat, etc??!!!

What's so special about batteries? It's not like there isn't a way out of the situation if it ever lets you down. Wouldn't £10 on a set of jump leads to keep in the boot would be a better investment?

If you buy a decent battery, maintain it well and don't let an overcharging alternator fry it, there's no reason why it shouldn't last upwards ten years. The eight years you mention on the Golf is nothing exceptional at all.

If anyone's worried about their battery, get your multimeter out and check the voltage. If it gives a decent voltage, leave it doing it's job.
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - defender
I know of a set of batteries 4x6volt on a diesel engine been used for 40+ years.exide make and get no special treatment
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - ka razy
Used to have a Nissan Sunny...sold it with original battery intact after ten years....my advice is if its not broken dont fix it!
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - Civic8
>>What's so special about batteries

Only thing between you starting and not.Sudden failure causes grief nobody needs..Checking voltage.Well thats ok.But in some cases a battery just *Fails*.no ryme or reason.Modern batteries once the warranty runs out.Do have a tendency to just fail..For what it costs to replace one that you are in doubt off.I think money well spent..I think they should be a service item on or after warranty runs out....
--
Steve
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - Dynamic Dave
Measuring the voltage is not an accurate way to access the battery's condition. It could well read 12volts when at rest, but not have the amperage to deliver the necessary whallop (tech term) to turn over the starter motor.

I've had two batteries fail on me in the 20 yrs I've owned cars - both giving no indication that they were on their way out. Put the car in the garage at night and all was fine. Went to start it the following morning and click click click of the soleniod on the starter motor. Measured the voltage and only 8 volts there. Charged all day, and only crept up to 9 volts.

The only true way to access a battery's health is to get a garage to put a dump load tester across the terminals.
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - Civic8
I was going to say that DD.Had a phone call so cut post short..I would advise battery is replaced.It is cheaper than hassle of it failing..
--
Steve
Should I change my 6-7 yr old Battery? - wemyss
The battery on my wife?s Maestro diesel failed at 12 months old still inside its warranty in 1993.
It was a Unipart battery and I remember the mechanic saying its funny how some seem to go on for ever and others die young.
They replaced it with a new Unipart type exactly the same. This was in 1993. The same battery is still working perfectly.
Two winters ago it was flat one morning and I thought that was the end of it. However charged it up and two years later its still OK.
Probably fatal to post this as it will no doubt cock its clogs now but my experience tells me to replace it when it finally goes kaput.
Yes they can fail suddenly when you least need the hassle but generally I think its in the morning after a cold night.
And whether motorway and heavy mileage is good for a battery is debatable. This car is generally used for local stop/start supermarket and the occasional 50 mile round trip.
Every couple of months I prise off the lids and top up if necessary so whether this has made any difference is anyone?s guess.
The only special treatment it has ever had and not recommended was when I topped it up a few years with washing up liquid. My distilled water was in a white squeegee type plastic bottle. And alongside was a white bottle of Wilkos dishwashing liquid. Not having my reading glasses on was my excuse. However took it down to the local battery garage where they flushed it out with an hose. Refilled with acid and water and as good as new.