Cheap Tyres - markymarkn
Does anyone know where I can get some cheap tyres from around the Nottingham/Derby area? I'm from Long Eaton so Notts or Derby is the same distance.

I mean 'cheap tyres' as in good tyres at low prices.

Also, currently I have some 14" wheels on my astra (You might remember me going on about this before), and I've got some 15" wheels to put on, therefore I will need lower profile tyres to keep the circumference the same.

Using the website posted in another thread, I think i'm gonna go from 175/64r14s to 185/55/r15s.

Will this effect the tyre pressures? Will I need to run at a higher pressure with the 15s and thinner tyres? What tyre pressures should I use?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
Re: Cheap Tyres - Andy
Mark

Was yours the post about removing black paint from a set of Vauxhall Astra GSi alloys? After some considerable research, I inflated my front tyres, also 185/55/15 fitted to GSi alloys, to 32 psi.

Did you succeed in removing the paint? How are the wheels looking now?

Good luck.

Yours

Andy
Re: Cheap Tyres - Rob
Try Pitstop 01773 863030, located just off the A38 where it meets the M1. Very good prices on branded tyres.

Rob
Re: Cheap Tyres - prm
If there's a Costco in your area, try them. They are by far the cheapest in Scotland at the moment. Worth paying the annula fee for the amount you'll save....

Peter.
Re: Cheap Tyres - Rob
I hate to be disagreeable, Peter, but I just can't help myself.

a) You have to be trade/professional to become a Costco member. Which is fine if you are, hopeless if you're not.

b) They don't give prices out over the phone.

c) Costco prices are more competitive than standard retail, but not by much - mostly less than 5%.

d) You have to spend a fairly serious amount of money to even recoup the £25 joining fee, before you start 'saving'. Like £500.....

Rob
Re: Cheap Tyres - prm
Obviously it works differently in your area Rob. I have a card which I got for £24.50, does for a year. Anyone in this area can purchase one.
The savings I got on a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto's for the Audi were substantial (£220 for 4, admittedly during a special offer time).
So, I think you'd agree, definitely worth checking them out?

Cheers,

Peter.
Re: Cheap Tyres - markymarkn
There's a Costco in Derby. My bro has a card for them.

The best bit is were identical twins so I can use his photo card. Cheers :-)

I did look last time I was in but I didnt take much notice because I could only see Michelins, and i've read they're not very good.

Is this true? do they only sell michelins/ are they any good?

Yeah they are for the astra gsi alloys I mentioned earlier. After three nights of using cellulose thinners, sand paper, paint stripper and copious amounts of elbow grease I had just about got the paint off ONE of the wheels, and it still needs paint and lacquer.

So I decided throw the towel in and pay for them to be done professionally.

Turns out my dad's mate, who works at a metal fabrication company can get them blasted for nowt! If only I had known earlier. I think i'll probably just have to pay for the paint they put on, but it will be at trade price. They are with him now.

I'm expecting them back soon so I'll keep you all informed! Thanks,

Sorry to ramble...

Mark.
Re: Cheap Tyres - pete
I rate Michelins the best compromise Tyre you can buy , at present i am on Pirelli there ok to, with regard to low profile I'm on 225/45/17 , they are standard fit but if i had a choice 65 profile would suit me better , more give in the tyre.
Re: Cheap Tyres - Dave Y
Big City tyres near the Broadmarsh centre in Nottingham are pretty good value. You need to get there early - I think they open at 09:00 - since there's very little parking and a queue will form.
Re: Cheap Tyres - David Bell
if the stock in Derby is the same as the Leeds Costco then they also sell a cheaper brand called 'Kormoran' - don't know if they are any good though????
Re: Cheap Tyres - peter charnley
I reckon Colway remoulds are an excellent value alternative. Rather better than 3rd world new tyres and at some tyre shops half price of new ones eg 175 x60 14 inch £21. For 195x55x15 inch £24 from Motosave. Yes I know people will now tell me how dangerous they are. Colway have the same quality marks as new tyres

Peter
Re: Cheap Tyres - markymarkn
I want to get the best tyres I can buy for it, I think they are one of the most important bits on a car.

Currently, I'm thinking of :
Pirelli P6000/ Pzero
Bridgestone RE720(?)
Toyo Proxes T1-S

I know weve been through this before, but deciding which tyres to buy is soooo difficult. Anyone had any experience of the ones above?

Cheers,

Mark.
Re: Cheap Tyres - Keith
P6000 seem really good.

I tried some cheap tyres made by continental (alegedly) but the grip is S**** get decent tyres, they could save your life.
Re: Cheap Tyres - Ian Chandler
Try: www.tyres-sold-online.co.uk/

This was the cheapest place I could find for tyres; they send them to you within a few days and you pay locally to have the things mounted and balanced. I think the tyres are sourced abroad, but there is a good selection of makes. I got a huge oversize Falken tyre for my 4x4 from them for about £60 ... it's worth emailing them for a quote
Re: Cheap Tyres - KB
Colway Tyres went in to receivership a couple of weeks ago. KPMG Accountants have been appointed to deal. Might not be such a good idea to get tyres from a firm that's gone broke.
Re: Cheap Tyres - Mark (Brazil)
KB wrote:

> Might not be
> such a good idea to get tyres from a firm that's gone broke.

Unless you can get them on credit !!!!
Re: Cheap Tyres - Tomo
Pirelli P6000s on Proton very good, but seem to wear rather quickly in front - never really approved of front drive.

I've had good service from Yokohamas; they turned Toyota AE86 Coupe into a sweet pussycat, from being a handful on Toyos - wag-wag-wag out of roundabouts gets you noticed!
Re: Cheap Tyres - Tomo
Sorry, P7000s on Proton of course - just been out in the rain to check.