Buying new number plate - Dogbreath2
SWMBO cracked our number plate in two. When I go to buy a new one what do I need to take with me?
Buying new number plate - Round The Bend
Registration document, proof of identity and cash.
Buying new number plate - martint123
www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/INF136.pdf

Current verification of personal details, together with
? Proof of entitlement to the registration mark.

The acceptable documents for verification of personal details are:
a) A current photocard driving licence (preferred); or
b) Bank/Building Society statement or a utility bill (current within the last 6 months) together with one of the following:-

? Current paper driving licence
? Passport
? Credit/debit card with photograph
? Travel pass card with photograph
? Foreign national identity card

The acceptable proof of entitlement documents are:
? Registration Document [V5] preferred (includes V5/2), or
? Certificate of entitlement to a mark [V750], or
? Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate [V778], or
? Vehicle Licence Renewal [V11], or
? Authorisation Certificate [V948] from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp. (This will apply when DVLA authorises a customer to buy plates bearing a particular registration mark, e.g. in the case of a cherished transfer), or
? An extract from the schedule of vehicles supplied by a hire/leasing company, or
? A letter of authority from Fleet Operators on company headed note paper with contact details stating that the company holds the Registration Document [V5] and quoting either the document reference number or the vehicle identification number, or
? Certificate of Vehicle Registration / Temporary Export Certificate [V379].

Buying new number plate - Thommo
Or if you have a mate in Scotland get him to nip to the nearest Halfords, get them made up and post them.

Crazy but true...
Buying new number plate - RichardW
>Or if you have a mate in Scotland get him to nip to the nearest Halfords

Not when I got one made in Hamilton Halfords last year- had to produce all the docs, and they recorded them and gave me a recipt which showed which docs I had produced, and details of them.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Buying new number plate - Thommo
Richard,

My understanding is that this law was never passed in Scotland. Halfords may be applying it UK wide but I'm sure someone else would knock them up for you.
Buying new number plate - Welliesorter
One or two web sites appear to sell standard UK number plates without requesting the documents. I've no idea whether the fact that these are based in Northern Ireland makes them legal.

On the subject of Scotland, there's a an irononger's shop in Callander called 'Screw It!'. Under the new regulations, every plate has to have the maker's name so I've always been tempted to buy plates there should mine ever need replacing.

Buying new number plate - Cliff Pope
Look on the internet. You can get them without any documentation needed.
Buying new number plate - Dynamic Dave
Look on the internet. You can get them without any documentation needed.

Or just do what Caveman's neighbour did and drive around without one for several months ;o)
Buying new number plate - Schnitzel
Just go to a Motor Accessory shop and get some "Show plates - for offroad use only" ones.