Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - rio bound
I am moving to Spain this year and have been trying to source a used LHD 4x4 in uk.
I have almost been duped by one rogue dealer on the internet and I want to avoid this happening again.
But the problem is, I dont know where to start looking. All the dealers I have come accross, either dont have diesel, which I need, or dont even have the car that they advertise for immediate delivery. I am beginning to see this car buying thing through a half empty glass rather than my usual half full one!
I have already sold my RHD car, so need to do something asap, so that I can get some things over there.
Has anyone had any good experiences with a LHD dealer in UK to the point that they would recommend them?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, from a cold desperate woman in need of sunshine.
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - The Bear
Now let me get this right. You are looking to buy a L.H.D in the UK so you can export (take) it to Spain with you. What would be the advantages over waiting till you get there before buying/selling.
Surely a local supplier is more likely to give a better aftercare service than one bought in Blighty.
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - Martin Wall
I believe cars are cheaper in Spain anyway and, of course, there won't be a problem getting a LHD car there :-)
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - Pugugly {P}
Plenty of Land Rovers both Solihull and locally built (the older ones) less corrosion (especially down south) due to a more humane climate. A real hassle to import and register a vehicle into Spain apparantly plus is that you blend in better..IYKWIM.
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - Hugo {P}
Price comparisons depend on a number of things:

1) Exchange rate, What is the £ like against the euro? I know it's doing OK against the $ at the moment. We've jsut invested for a holiday :)

2) She's looking for a LHD car out there, LHD cars in the UK are far cheaper on average than RHD cars. Often they are offloaded by people who have emigrated to the UK from europe or the states.

3) What is the 4 x 4 market like in Spain? Is it easy to get one that has not been thrashed? From what I hear the roads over there are not as good as they are here.

In addition, we have to consider the benefit of being able to drive over there with a car load of stuff.

My advice would be to post wanted ads in the free papers. OK you may get a load of jokers but you'll get genuine sellers as well.

In addition, any warranty you get may not be that practical over the channel, if even valid. So a private/auction purchase may be the way to go.

Hugo
Plenty of familiar faces on e-Bay in Spain. Prices are not a million kilometers from UK.
motor.listings.ebay.es/Coches_4x4_W0QQfromZR4QQsac...t

The link would help.
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - Retro
Be careful with LHD dealers, especially the London ones.

I don't know whether the rules have changed now, or if a better database exists, but one of the largest ones used to buy written off but repairable LHD cars from Europe or wherever and sell them here. Hence good profit and little chance of them flagging up with a poor history.

Also some of the more exotic LHD dealers in SW London should carry a government health warning; VAT dodges, the write-off dodge above, sale or return cars sold without owner being paid, finance not being cleared in a timely manner and a lets say "heavy" attitude to customer complaints.

Tragically, I had to deal with these people in a previous life. Info 4 years old second paragraph and 1 year third.

I would be interested to know if any of these "loopholes" still exists. Does anyone out there know?

The above still sends a shiver down my spine and I am being serious not joking. Sorry, but please no requests for names of dealers. Just take my word for it.
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - rio bound
My reason for buying in this country, is so that I can tow my caravan (temp new home) down there. I have looked at the websites in Spain,inc Ebay (thanks for providing the link anyway) and they are dearer than in UK, not cheaper! I have been warned by my friends in Spain that all cars are dearer there now, even old bangers.
I had started an order with a notoriously well known on this site, internet trader, hoping to take advantage of the european wide warranty. thanks to info on this site, I have now stopped that, but have wasted so much time.
I want to leave the car down there and fly back, all very complicated I know. But best to do this so that I dont have to drive everytime i want to go over to do some work on the property.
I have just today been to a guy calling himself LHD-UK, in Essex.
the car should have been a write off. Looked ok but the chassis was not even connected to the body, in fact at least 3 inches off. That is why I have asked for help from this forum, I am absolutely fed up to the eye teeth of dealers trying to rip me off.
Thank you to those you have offered genuine advice.
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - mare
Bit leftfield, how about an ex MOD vehicle, e.g.

database.ukfsvd.com:591/FMPro?-db=inventory2.fp5&-...=

The TDI engine would be handy for towing, and the aircon is essential for Spain I would have thought, the armoured underside may be surplus to requirements though!

Alternatively there are some ex Dutch lightweight LR's

database.ukfsvd.com:591/FMPro?-db=inventory2.fp5&-...=

Or a SWB hardtop, available in LHD:

www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=205&Overide=1
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - costablancabloke
Why not get a van to tow the caravan & then you have got a workhorse in Spain as well. I don't know what you are going to do for work, but having a van will help you get some out here.

CBB
Are there any reliable LHD dealers? - sand boy
I live in Spain and struggled to find a clean car for my wife when we moved here, most used cars here are driven to death, underserviced, covered in minor damage, and thats without taking into account the dust and salt if its lived on a costa. Many Spaniards I know who can finance(i.e. Cash) it buy there 4x4's and prestige cars from Germany, I have seen some stunning bargains with full histories and unmarked throughout, although they charge a little more the franchise dealers are best. Try www.mobile.de for the widest choice.
Be aware that the Guardia Civil are clamping down on foreign cars that are in Spain over 6 months, the local station pound is full of British & East european cars that have been confiscated, my wife was recently pulled over in my UK registered car which fortunatly had just come back to Spain following an MOT, they take action and ask questions later...
To get Full EU comprehensive insurance on a UK reg car try Neil Rowley Insurance www.spaininsure.com they do a policy through Liberty (Royal Insurance) that will be based on your SPANISH address.
Hope that helps and good luck
SB