Vehicle licensing online - shoei
I have just renewed my road tax online, what a fantastic feature, about time to. It was easy to use and I will get my disc in 5 working days.
Vehicle licensing online - Cardew
Not heard of this. Have you a website?

How do you demonstrate you have valid insurance and MOT?

C
Vehicle licensing online - daveyjp
I've just received my reminder (sold the car days before this so I won't be renewing). The DVLA has access to insurance and MOT databases and a match is done against the registration to verify these are in place where required. My car was under 3 years old so no MOT required. Has the MOT database been sorted, or are DVLA currently only allowing on line applications for vehicles under three years old?
Vehicle licensing online - shoei
www.dvla.gov.uk/vehiclelicence
DVLA electronically check if your vehicle is insured and if it has the new computerised test certificate (took about five seconds on the renewel process)

Vehicle licensing online - holly1
www.dvla.gov.uk/vehiclelicence
DVLA electronically check if your vehicle is insured and if it
has the new computerised test certificate (took about five seconds on
the renewel process)

How do I know if I have one of the new computerised test certificates? I need to renew the tax on our car next month and want to avoid having to queue for an hour at our nearest post office.
Vehicle licensing online - mare
I have just renewed my road tax online, what a fantastic
feature, about time to. It was easy to use and I
will get my disc in 5 working days.

Me me me, i want a go! Have to wait until Jauary 2006 though!

(anything to avoid a post office)
Vehicle licensing online - SjB {P}
Just done mine.
Ordered on Wednesday night.
Arrived in the post today.
Faster than joining the queue at Aylesbury post office.

Note that you can only apply on or after the fifteenth day of the month leading up to expiry of the current RFL, just the same as if you called in at a post office. If you break this rule - as I did on purpose to see what would happen - the resultant message doesn't give a clue that this is the reason. It just informs 'invalid reference number' even though you are quoting what is written on the form you are holding. Of course, it is invalid, because it doesn't become effective until after the 15th threshold, but the message could be more informative and actually say this.
Vehicle licensing online - The Bear
What methods of payment can you use.
Vehicle licensing online - Pugugly {P}
Debit card only. Why don't they have PayPal ?
Vehicle licensing online - daveyjp
Under current legislation it is not possible to use credit cards to pay taxes. This is being reviewed to allow credit card payments for car tax.
Vehicle licensing online - frostbite
Yes, it is very convenient and a move forward, BUT it can only be another nail in the coffin for your local sub-PO as another source of income for them is removed.
Vehicle licensing online - Cardew
Just checked with DVLA and the on-line application applies only for vehicles under 3 years old. As someone above mused the problem is that they do not have a database of MOT certificates issued.
Vehicle licensing online - Schnitzel
I looked everywhere for that last months when mine was due, ended up going to the post office, poor old Ganesh needs all the business he can get to kepp going, so I think I will keep using the post office.
Vehicle licensing online - Pugugly {P}
MoT Database - They've only been trying to get to work for thrre years, give 'em a break !
Vehicle licensing online - martint123
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27715&...f

Got a bike MOT last week - they were supposed to get the computerised system last November - done all the ocurses etc and it was cancelled 'until further notice' they said.

DVLA Online Licence Application - Robbie
What a waste of time. I've just tried to re-license my car and the blessed site times out.

Why can't the Government agencies get things right when it comes to technology?
A technical error has occurred

Unfortunately your last action cannot be completed and no information has been recorded.

If you have not been informed that your application or declaration has been successful, on the Confirmation page, then the application or declaration has been cancelled.

If the application or declaration has been cancelled, you can:

Try again later.

OR

Apply for the tax disc or declare SORN over the phone by calling 0870 850 4444.

OR

Apply for a tax disc at a licence-issuing Post Office® or DVLA Local Office (as applicable for the vehicle) using the reminder (Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration) or the Registration Document/Certificate together with the Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, MOT Test Certificate/ GVT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee.

Now it's showing an error. Looks as if I'll have to make a trip to the Post Office.

DVLA Online Licence Application - LongDriver {P}
I ordered my tax disc on line last week and it hasn't arrived yet. As current one expires on Monday night, I wonder what the legal position would be if I was stopped on Tuesday with no valid disc on display???

I doubt this has been tested yet, at all!
DVLA Online Licence Application - blue_haddock
Can/Did you take a print out of the confirmation of payment screen?

Keep a copy of that in the car so if you do get stopped you can show the nice policeman that you've paid for it and are waiting for the DVLA to send it to you.
I went to the post office on Thursday to tax mine as the DVLA site was down.

This must be a ploy by HMG to use more fuel so they can obtain more revenue.
DVLA Online Licence Application - Hugo {P}
Some may say - another nail in the coffin for the village post office?

Where you are miles away from the PO I can see the attraction. When a PO is 3 mins walk and within easy access - I'd prefer the fresh air and the knowledge that my transaction is a positive step for the comunity.

H
DVLA Online Licence Application - Robin Reliant
Post offices are certainly interesting places. You can have a nice read of all the leaflets on child benefit, disability allowance, claiming your winter heating allowance etc while you are in the queue. In fact you have time to read them all twice while you shuffle along the line to the single cashier dealing with the 20 strong queue, many with time on there hands enough to have a chat with the cashier when they finally reach the window.

If you are lucky, the staff may actually know what they are doing when it is finally your turn and you will only have wasted half hour of your life, but don't bank on it.
DVLA Online Licence Application - frostbite
Reminds me of the old fool (abt 10yrs my senior!) ahead of me in the PO queue when I went for my VEL recently.

Did nothing but moan about queueing, inefficient PO staff etc., but when he got to the window, hadn't even started writing his cheque, put insurance in another pocket, couldn't find it and even the clerk had to request stuff pushed across so he could get on with doing something while the idiot continued his search.
Unfortunately, the village PO doesn't tax vehicles and it's a five mile journey to the nearest sub-post office; find somewhere to park; and then wait in one of those winding lanes they have. So, it's a ten mile round trip instead of a few minutes on-line - if it works.