corsa 1.0 noisy ? - hondajazz
My daughter has just bought a 2001 corsa 1.0 with 22000 miles on clock the car appears immaculate but im concerned about the uneveness/lumpiness of car when setting off from a standing start there is no vibration through gear lever and when stood outside of car it sounds sweet as anything, but unless you give it plenty of gas when setting off it feels like your driving a tractor from inside of car, but on the open road it also very quiet she bought it from a reputable toyota dealer who serviced it and stamped the book,she insists shes happy with it,but me being the over protective father am concerned thatthis problem could develop any ideas please?
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Roberson
I must firstly admit that I do not own a one of these, so my information may be a little off. But my Uni friend has a 1.0 Corsa of roughly the same age. I have had a couple of lifts home, and thought the same as you, that it was a little lumpy at idle and a bit' rough' when pulling away. I thought it a little odd as my older Polo is a bit smoother. So in this first instance, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

I was later talking to my dad about it, and he said it may have had the 3 cylinder engine installed which would be naturally like that.

Don't worry about it, this seems quite normal for 1.0 Corsas.
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Dynamic Dave
he said it may have had the 3 cylinder engine installed which
would be naturally like that.

Yep.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28361&...e
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - john deacon
had a hired 3 cylinder car once, that lost the spark to one cylinder, boy is a car running on 2 cylinders rough, of course a 4 cylinder dropping to 3 is much less dramatic

I guess with a 3 cylinder I'd be particularly careful to replace plugs and leads etc purely precationary, as the thought of dropping to 2 cylinders on a dark night would be a nighmare
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Known in the trade as the lawn mower engine they dont produce great amounts of power and need a good bootful to get off the mark. Having said that once on the move they are remarkably smooth. They have a huge flywheel to try and damp out the inherent vibration so consequently you dont get much engine braking. Have heard of timing chain failure on more than one occasion and are prone to the usual GM faults regarding EGR valves, airflow meters, idle speed controllers and coolant, cam phase and crank sensors. They dont have plug leads, just a triple coil pack mounted directly onto the plugs.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Victorbox
Andrew, I realise from your previous comments on this engine you don't think too highly of it and as you are in the trade you must know your stuff. However, with the exception of a very recent post I don't think I've ever seen a question on this site about a problem with the 1 litre 12v Vauxhall engine. Given it must have been fitted in hundreds of thousands of Corsas, Agilas and presumably Susukis (as it's their engine) it can't be too unreliable?
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - tr7v8
Not all 1 litre Suzys use the 3 pot, the older Alto uses the 4 pot version. From experience 4 pot is smoother (surprise!) but less fuel efficient and less torquey.
3 Pot goes like hell with most people convinced its a 1.3 or more! Used in the USA in a Chevrolet Geo and funnily enough commonly used in home built ultra light aircraft as its minute (its only about 16inches or so long) and very light. The Swift was giving 46MPG on my 75 mile commute and was A-B not much slower than my ALfa. Ours was very reliable and is now owned by the son of a guy I work with and is still going well. Pretty sure its a cambelt as well not a chain.
Suzuki cars are very underated in my view.

Jim
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - snowy
According to the Honest Johns Car by Car breakdown its a chain and not a belt, major problem is front pipe failure due to that vibration. The wife has one and it certainly comes as a bit of a shock when you start her up when you are used to something a bit smoother however its a cracking little car which has needed nothing more than its annual service, although my man at the local garage says they are prone to oil leaks.
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Schnitzel
LOL, I had a brand new one as a courtesy car a while back, and I took it back and said I think it's only running on three cylinders.
I thought it was horrid like a 2CV.
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Seriously unreliable no, but we do see problems regularly with the points I mentioned.However I do keep in stock on my van: EGR valve, idle motor, cam and crank sensors and coolant temp sensor.
Horses for courses but I couldnt live with one.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - Philj
My Daughter has a 1998 3 cyl Corsa, I can honestly say it is the worst car I have ever driven! The car has only done 50,000 miles. The engine becomes very noisy at tickover when hot (been like this for two years, but does not use any oil). The car has very little power unless you exept at very high revs. The EGR valve & idle motor failed, now the electric power steering motor is faulty. I would not recommend one of these cars to anyone!
corsa 1.0 noisy ? - fossyant
Sell it !! - Get an early Yaris 1999 1.0 VVTi - far better car, over 50mpg and 100% reliable. Had a 1.0 Corsa as a courtesy car a few years back - horrid engine and gbox - thought it was broken.

Sorry but these are nasty cars !