Water leaking into Golf cabin - Allan Blunden
I had a session on this ten days ago, and several of you pointed me in the direction of the pollen filter (misaligned water shield or something). However, the water is coming in above the driver's pedals, and the pollen filter is on the passenger side. A fax to the Plymouth VW dealer eventually elicited a response from a mechanic who thinks he recognizes the problem. Apparently a £5 part - a plastic cover plate (?) at the bottom of the area where water collects under the driver-side windscreen wiper - is secured with a couple of screws and a bit of mastic. This plate can warp (WHY??) and bingo, your sixteen-grands' worth of Golf fills up with water. That's the good news. The bad news is that my dealer charges sixty-five pounds an hour for labour (yes, that's right), and replacing this £5 bit of misengineered plastic can take up to five hours. Of course, I expect the masks, pistols and three-cornered hats tend to get in the way and slow things down a bit ...

Any advance on £65 an hour? And more importantly, any useful advice for dealing with this problem more affordably?
Water leaking into Golf cabin - AR-CoolC
Up to five hours! Ha!

Remove wipers - 5 mins
Remove plenum chamber cover - 5 mins
Remove wiper mechanism - 10 mins
Remove cover - clean up and relace with new - 15 mins
Reassemble - 20 mins

Round it off to an hour.

I should find a good independant if I were you.

(Glass-Tech)
Water leaking into Golf cabin - Allan Blunden
Thanks for that. But any idea where I could get more detailed instructions for these operations? I haven't a clue how to remove the wiper mechanism, and don't even know what a plenum chamber is ... Question though: clearly this area is meant to receive water draining off the windscreen - so how is the water meant to get out (apart from into the cabin, that is)? There must be a drain outlet or hose somewhere, surely?
Water leaking into Golf cabin - Stuartli
Try the local library for the Haynes Golf/Bora Manual.

That's where my copy came from and not only can I keep it for a month (plus up to 11 other books) I can continuously renew it for as long as I wish, unless there is a request for it from another library member. Even then I can/could reserve it to take out again in a month's time...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Water leaking into Golf cabin - AR-CoolC
www.golfmk4.co.uk/index.htm

This site looks interesting, they have a "how to" on the wiper linkage sevice. At the minute its a "coming soon" but this should give good instructions if the others on there are anything to go by.
All you would need to do would be follow the wiper linkage service instructions and then carry on one stage further to the cover.