Advice on Trade In Please - Robin
I agreed a trade in price for my old car with a Toyota dealer over the weekend. I have signed an order for a 2nd hand car and this includes details of my current car. I have also paid a deposit of £100. I have now discovered that I gave the garage the wrong info about my car - I told them it is was a Passat S but when I checked the V5 it turns out to be an SE. According to Parkers the difference in Trade In value is £260 (SE worth more than S). A stupid stupid mistake.
What can I do? The deal is done and I collect the car on Friday. They were quite adamant that they could go no lower in price but they should presumably get more for an SE than an S.
Any advice about what I should do or ask them for?

Not looking forward to confessing this to my wife. I'll end up with earache and be reminded fo rhte next 10 years. Maybe I'll keep quiet.
Advice on Trade In Please - richy
Robin, I would'nt worry yourself. What's £260 these days anyway.
Like you said you got a good deal on the new car since they could go no lower. Might be worth mentioning the mistake to the salesperson, they might just feel sorry for you and throw something extra in free.
Advice on Trade In Please - Altea Ego
Your only option is to run to the dealer, grab him by the trouser leg and sob and blubber onto his shiny shoes and hope he has a soft heart (car dealer? soft heart? yeah sure)

or

Cancel the deal and loose your 100 quid.

or

Confess to the wife and suffer

or

Keep quiet and hope she never finds out

Last one is favourite.
Advice on Trade In Please - Adam {P}
Yep. Last one. After all, you thought it was a good deal anyway.I'd forget about it or at least, as Richy says, mention it casually to the dealer.
--
Adam
Advice on Trade In Please - Pugugly {P}
Its a husband thing. United Nations, International Court of Human Rights - anything but don't let the wife find out !
I had a word with the dealer and got an extra couple of hundred or so off so I'm happier now than earlier. I think I might forget to mention it to the boss. I'll worry about how to deal with her checking the bank statement later.
Advice on Trade In Please - smokie
Result! Use some of the couple of hundred extra to treat her - new tea towels or an ironing board cover always go down well... :-)
Great idea - she's been badgering me for a new set of oven gloves since I threw the old ones away a couple of weeks ago.

(I cannot imagine the trouble I'm in if she ever reads this)
Advice on Trade In Please - DavidHM
Just out of curiosity, is your Passat a turbo? (ISTR it's a 1.8 anyway).

If it's got air con, there's probably precious little difference in its value compared to an SE, as I believe air con wasn't standard at the time on the S.

Similarly, if the car's got a turbo then I don't think there was a 1.8t S, so the valuation may even have been done on an SE, in which case you've sorted yourself a free couple of hundred.
Advice on Trade In Please - blue_haddock
The dealer should of done a HPi check on the vehicle which will give him the exact model of the vehicle.

Whether he did or did not checki it means you've got a couple of hundred quid extra off the car!
Advice on Trade In Please - Pezzer
Robin, robin,robin, you are looking at this completely the wrong way .......now you can go and tell her what a sharp operator you are and you've managed to get and EVEN better deal.

(Yah right... worth a go though :-))
The dealer actually said they did the valuation on the HPI check yet still offered a better deal.
My Passat is a 1998 1.8 SE 20V (petrol). Not a turbo.
Advice on Trade In Please - blue_haddock
In that case then they did a HPI and realised that it was an SE but thought you didn't know it so they gave you the PX price for an S and when you mentioned to them that it was actually an SE they realised they had been rumbled!