buying a new transit - david@st ives
hi all
i am new here i am about to buy a transit tomorrow budget about £10 k my trusted carlton died today engine kaputt
my question is does any body know of any current deals on new or pre reg transit 280 or similar
is new the right way to go or do i go nearly new
i need advice please as i have never parted with more than £500 on a work vehicle before and am in a rush to buy
thanks
dave
buying a new transit - blue_haddock
give www.vanman.co.uk a whirl - normally pretty keen on his prices.
had a look at the site not much info on prices
and need to buy tomorrow
thanks
dave
buying a new transit - Hugo {P}
Hi David

Welcome to the Backroom!

Are you definitely set on a Transit? I am very pleased with my Nissan Primastar (rebadged Vivaro/Trafic). As part of its equipment it has electric windows and a 6 speed box. My LWB came in at £10,900 + VAT, but you could probably get that down a bit.

I bought mine from Mumfords in Plymouth. Excellent people to deal with, they do both Nissan and Renault.

H
not really set on anything
but with £40/day hire charges i am desperate to buy i dont really know much about other vans i just want to get a good deal on something
dave
buying a new transit - Hugo {P}
I was in a similar position to you a few months ago. My old Trafic chewed and spat out its box.

Don't be in too much of a rush because most of the time a new van will take a week to sort out anyway, and that's assuming they've got it in stock.

Is there any chance you could get a cheap run around for a couple of hundred whilst you take a good look. I'm thinking something with a few months MOT left on it that you could put on E Bay when you get your new van. It could be a large estate car for the time you'll need it. You'll not be out of pocket by much and you'll save much more than that on getting the deal that's best for you rather than the first one that hits you in the face.

I chose the van I have because of the spec and the fact that they are becoming quite popular. I am thinking that spares in the future should not be a problem.

When I became stuck I was lucky I wasn't in the middle of a large job. I had actually taken time out to move furniture from my mother's house. As it happens I am very pleased with the deal I got. However, I perhaps should have spent more time looking but would most likely still have ended up at the same dealership.

I suspect you'll be struggling with a LWB for £10. I assume you're not VAT registered, so that'll be another £1750 on top. Also, there are plenty of 0% finance deals out there at the moment, so you could put most of your £10k in an Egg account at 5.5% and use that to meet the finance payments over 2 years.

If you are VAT registered then the Lease Purchase schemes are worth looking at.

Be very very careful about the finance products that these retailers offer. I found it useful to ask what the total payable was. I was shocked to find that one of these lease purchase companies that advertise nationally was asking me to pay £3k extra over the 3 years with £2k down than a nissan dealer was asking with £4k down.

Hugo
hugo
thanks for the advice
i see where you are coming from
my trouble is i done exactly that 6 months ago i bought a run around and got settled with it .
but now i realize a van will give me a more proffesional image and give me advertising where i need it most ie outside customers houses
my priority for the last few years was buying and renovating my house and have only just now started having spare cash
a quote from a successful business man was "the worst ever business decission was not getting a sign written van years ago"
yes i might have to up my £10k my other trouble is not being happy unless i get money off something
thanks
dave
buying a new transit - blue_haddock
i agree with pretty much all of what Hugo has said - very doubtful you will be able to walk into a dealer tomorrow, pay the money and drive off in a new van the same afternoon.

Motorpoint are usally fairly keen on their vans and they will be able to get you into one fairly quickly too usually
buying a new transit - keo-the-dog
personally i would go for the renault or one of it's variations i have had 4 different renault vans now yes they are old ones but they are good vans and seem to have got over the problems with rust. transits are good vans as a rule avoid sprinters if you plan on keeping it long term as they seem to rust although they are good to drive and good for long distance (high speed) work also with sprinters some mot stations will fail balljoints even if they are new as they have 5mm lift in them , apparrently they are designed to do this places which have them in for testing regularly tend to know this but others dont....cheers...keo
buying a new transit - henry k
a quote from a successful business man was "the worst ever
business decission was not getting a sign written van years ago"

>>
From a casual observer.
Ask yourself. What are you trying to achieve with the sign writing?
I am amazed at the vast number of vans etc that do not say where the company is or the area covered.
They waste space with the word Mobile when we all know it is a mobile number whereas I do not know area codes that are just a few miles away.
A company with clean vehicles and clear advertising will certainly get my attention.
That and or course a simple web site.
Good luck.