Abandoned Cars - somebody
According to the BBC, every two minutes a car is abandoned in the UK because people don't want to pay fifty pounds to have it scrapped properly.

[nostalgia] One of my happiest memories as a child in the 1960s was going out with my father to play on abandoned cars. We'd strip parts out of them like odometers and the steering wheel (obviously these days my father would be banged up for child endangerment by the health and safety lobby). I even remember having a complete wheel and tire from a mini in my room growing up. There seemed to be no shortage of abandoned cars back then. [/nostalgia]

So is this a new problem or did we just live in a particularly bad area back then (South London).

Abandoned Cars - GrahamF1
Why would people pay fifty pounds to scrap it properly when to file off the engine and VIN numbers costs nothing?

It'll only change when the government gets a hold of the situation and provides a facility to scrap cars for free.
Abandoned Cars - StevieC
Why would people pay fifty pounds to scrap it properly when
to file off the engine and VIN numbers costs nothing?
It'll only change when the government gets a hold of the
situation and provides a facility to scrap cars for free.

Ermmm is that not like expecting the goverment to b accountable for anything and everything that needs to be disposed off??? as responsible car owners should we not do it ourselevs?
Abandoned Cars - blue_haddock
I know a few scapyards that will either collect a car for free or if you can get it to them they will give you between £20 and £50 for it.
Abandoned Cars - Pugugly {P}
All scrappies in my Yellow Pages gave a minimum offer of £50.00 sight unseen on a car I'm considering doing the evil deed to. Another myth I'm afraid.
Not directed at you bh. Your post appered whilst I was typing mine !
Abandoned Cars - blue_haddock
no probs PU - great minds think alike!

Oh ! Ask about the wheels - apparantly not all scrappies will take tyres (shakes head) because of disposal problems and will charge you for removing same ( a fiver a corner in one establlishment).
Abandoned Cars - Hugo {P}
Wheels and tyres - If the tyres are OK, then I would take the car to the scrapyard, then remove the wheels on site and take them back with you. They'll be worth at least a fiver each to someone who needs that wheel for a similar car.

If the tyres are no good, some council refuse tips may take them, though you may get more joy if they're off the wheels.

PU, I don't know if your old BMW has alloys but alloys alone are worth around £5 each scrap value, or more if they're straight and you're prepared to put them in the paper or on E Bay with or without the tyres.

I assume you've had little luck trying toget rid of you 'project' and Mrs PU is enforcing a time limit:)

Have you also considered the enthusiasts BMW sites, to see if anyone would be interested?

Hugo
Hugo,
Thanks - having been nice to Mrs PU for the last week, she has authorised the spending of up to £500.00 on it to get it roadworthy. The thing was stored using best practice. I have sourced a re-conditioned and warrnaed rack for £250.00 notes. I wonder if her price includes labour. She rekons I should get a grand for it if its well prepared (no rust at all). Issues currently are the rack, 4 decent tyres to get it through a potential MoT. Handbrake cables may be a faliure. not checked any of the electrics yet. It should start in theory. Been grazing in HJ site tonight for any info/advice.
Abandoned Cars - patently
It should start in theory.

Yes, I had a car like that once. Started first time, every time, in theory.

In practice .... err...
Abandoned Cars - L'escargot
Wheels and tyres - If the tyres are OK, then I
would take the car to the scrapyard, then remove the wheels
on site and take them back with you.

I thought about doing this, but then wondered how I would get the wheels on a bus to enable me to get back home! ;-)
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Abandoned Cars - Civic8
The dumping of cars is still going on in my area..Police put a sign on saying police aware(open invitation to smash it up)Car then gets burnt out..Unfortunatly one was set fire to. Next to a newish car. You can guess the rest..though why anyone would park next to a dumped car??
--
Steve
Local cops should be wise to this and get the local authority to shift them forthwith. Traffic Officers (not Beat Officers) can phone DVLA to get a car shifted straight away - Probably no Roads Policing in your area to speak of.
Abandoned Cars - keo-the-dog
apparrently in my area if a car is dumped police and/or council will ticket it and leave it for 14 days then it will be removed and disposed of but if the windows should get broken it then becomes an arson target and the fire authorities/council will then tow it within hours . so guess what happens to abandoned cars locally.... yes correct the windows get smashed and nobody sweeps the little diamonds up ...wonderfull for your tyres ...cheers...keo
Abandoned Cars - DavidHM
PU - 4 decent tyres to get it through the MoT? You're having a laugh! Anything, up to and including Botswanan banana tyres, if such things exist, that is MoT legal, will do. Even Kwik Fit only wants £175 fitted for four.
Abandoned Cars - THe Growler
I've always thought there has to be a business buying these things up, stuffing them in 40' containers and exporting them to Third World countries. China, Japan and Taiwan do it after all (the entire Manila bus fleet of 7,000 old clunkers for example). They'd be glad of them and have them up and running in no time. Think of it, all that collective easing of conscience and helping out LDC's:
that would certainly make the organic salad and mineral water slip down the gullets of the eco-crusaders a bit easier.
Abandoned Cars - Altea Ego
Yup good scrap money around, I drove up the a127 past basildon today and not a single burnt out car on the side of the road.