Delayed Log Book - TonyE
I have just bought a car from a car dealers. After I had paid they told me that the log book was not available because it was on a different site. I was told that it would be available today. On calling today I have been told that it is now not going to arrive until tomorrow. Without the log book I cannot tax the car. Without tax I cannot drive it. Can somebody give me any advice as to my next steps. Should they be allowed to sell a car without handing over the original documentation at the time of purchase? I have been given a scanned copy of the log book.

My feeling is that now they have my money and I have the car, there is no interest on their part in rushing the paperwork through to me.
Delayed Log Book - holly1
At least you have seen a scanned copy, big main dealers I got my car from didnt even show me that. Originally told the car had only had one previous owner, as I was buying from a main dealers I was stupid enough to trust them.
Got home and read through the bits of paper & receipts in the service book wallet I found there had been 2 previous owners.
Then the V5 arrived, only to find there had been 3 previous owners!!
Delayed Log Book - And1
Hi Daisy1

Did you get something in writing to the effect of '1 previous keeper' from the dealers ? I'd say you might have some recourse here.
Delayed Log Book - And1

I remember something that happened years ago in Coventry regarding a certain trader in Coventry. This was in the days when every previous keeper was listed on the logbook rather than the modern day equivalent of current and last keeper only.

Anyway a buyer bought one of the cars on the assumption of 'one careful owner'. Several days later he was gievn the logbook with a list of previous keepers - quite a few of them.

The buyer complained saying something to effect of ' You said there was one careful owner' The dealer took the log book at pointed out one of the names - saying that was the careful one.
Delayed Log Book - Dwight Van Driver
The law requires the keeper to hand over the V5, V5C, V5/2 or V5C/2 when selling a vehicle.

If you have just acquired the vehicle and neither of the Documents/Certificates are available, you cannot license your vehicle at any Post Office® branch using a V10 accompanied by a V62. You must first obtain a V5C using form V62 (fee application).

Source: DVLA

Pester, pester, pester the seller for that document and if not forthcoming visit and have a word at your local DVLA Office if nearby.

DVD
Delayed Log Book - GrahamF1
Why would you even contemplate completing the purchase without being handed the paperwork?

If a seller says they're unable to provide the paperwork at the time of purchase, then there's one reason: the paperwork contains something that they don't want you to know until after they have your cash.