Liverpool to Rome - the options - Adam {P}
Good morning all,

It's been decided that we're taking a trip over to Italy this year but there are a few problems which I'm hoping for any experiences/help with.

Mum has a fear of flying. I don't mean an average phobia - I mean to the point where she's been on a plane of the aero variety once - for her honeymoon to, oddly enough, Italy. Hence, we've always been to Scotland or Cornwall but now it's time for a change.

So it's looking like we'll have to drive there. I don't mind as Dad and I will share the driving but we could do with some advice on destinations to stop pver, general routes to take. The original plan was to boat it to Spain (Santander to be precise) and drive from there, to Italy. Dad does the same on his Motorbike but goes around Spain instead of Italy. My question is what about going from Calais. Easier?

Any comments regarding anything to do with the trip are more than welcome as always. And of course I appreciate it.

Cheers,

--
Adam
Liverpool to Rome - the options - smokie
I won't try to advise on routes, stopovers etc but I think you will really enjoy driving abroad - I know I do. Generally clear, well maintained and fast roads, and plenty of stopping places for when you feel tired. The motorway network makes it easy to navigate, and there are plenty of reasonable quality low-cost hotels within easy reach of motorway exits to break your journey in.
Liverpool to Rome - the options - smokie
I meant to say...you will prpobably get halfway across Europe in the time it takes you to travel from L'pool to Dover...
Liverpool to Rome - the options - Stuartli
I thought Liverpool were out of Europe....?

Seriously, rather than drive all the way down to Dover, it's easier to get on the M62 and drive the 120 miles to Hull for the overnight roll-on/roll-off journey to Zebrugge.

You can book a cabin and have a rest overnight after a good meal and entertainment. The port is also 14 miles nearer to Paris (if anyone is going there) than from Calais.

You will then be able to make your way to Italy via the excellent Continental routes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Liverpool to Rome - the options - Robbie
Good advice from Stuartli.

I travel to France regularly - I've a holiday home there - and I wouldn't dream of going via Dover, unless I was forced to do so.

You'll enjoy the sail from Hull, and it's much cheaper than travelling to Spain. The French autoroutes are much better than British motorways and it's not that far from Zeebrugge to Lille. Then it's a decent journey all of the way. However, it can be busy around Lyon during July and August.

There are good and cheap hotel chains where you can stop off. I use Campanile, if I don't get the overnight ferry, as it's easier with my dog. There are also Ibis, Etap, Formule1, and B.B., although I've never used B.B. hotels.

Wow. Great posts - thanks guys.

I shall run them past the parental units to see what they think of the idea.

Many thanks again (keep the ideas coming!)

--
Adam
Liverpool to Rome - the options - John24
Have a look in the forum about travel to Austria. Lots of good information there. Started in January 2004. Sorry, can't work out how to point you there.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19593&...f

Thanks John. Makes for interesting reading.
--
Adam
Liverpool to Rome - the options - PR {P}
I live in Middlesbrough and frequently drive to a place just south of Rome where the family is from. I love the drive over there, one of the best bits of the holiday!
I go down to Dover, and since last year I use www.speedferries.com (currently £50 return any time). Then head down France towards Basel, and on through Switzerland, which is breathtaking.
Then into Italy the route I now take is, go past Milan towards Bologna on the A1 then turn off at Parma towards Livorno and then down the Via Aurelia into Rome. Try a route planner such as www.viamichelin.co.uk

Any other questions just ask.
Liverpool to Rome - the options - Altea Ego
Be prepared to learn a little Italian.

We spent ages looking for the autostrada exit to Florence, all we could see was exits to some place called Firenza

(at least Roma and Rome look similar!)

Liverpool to Rome - the options - martint123
Consider a round trip. Hull to Rotterdam across to Germany, down though a corner of Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Italy. Back through Switzerland, France, Luxemburg, Belgium, Zebrugge, Hull.

Did this a number of years ago, but starting and finishing in Holland over a weekend Friday evening to early Monday.

Martin