Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - Adam {P}
I'm going to post this in Discussion as I think it's more my style than anything wrong with the car.

I know I'm a pretty new driver so I've tried out a number of techniques as I'm inquisitive. As you may or may not know, I own a 1.8 Focus. I know it's a pretty thirsty engine but I seem to be filling her up every day.

I usually only put a tenner in or if I'm doing a big run that day I'll stick £20 in. I never put any more in and so, obviously, never fill the tank. Because of this, I wouldn't be able to give you the MPG figures but I have tried changing my driving style.

At first I tried toning it down I bit. I don't drive like a loon anyway (subjective) but I did drive slower. Still didn't notice that much of a change so I took it even slower keeping it under 3,000 revs, sticking to 70 like glue, aircon off etc... but fortunately I never noticed a difference. This is good because I think I'd die within the month of boredom.

So I've gone back to my spirited methods. Not stupid or anything like that but double declutching on my nice country roads, keeping it in third for nice twisty bits and...well - you know what I mean. To be perfectly honest, I don't notice any decrease in economy. Of course, I know that without quantitative evidence I can't make solid assumptions but I know the car and can pretty much gauge how much petrol I have left. I usually wait for the light to come on before I fill up so that helps me keep an eye on it too.

It isn't a rant about petrol prices. I knew when I got the car I was going to pay but it's worth it. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Many thanks,
--
Adam
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - DavidHM
Adam,

I'd have thought that no matter how much you thrashed the car, staying below 85 on motorways (as opposed to 110) and not doing anything stupid, you should be getting an absolute minimum of 80 miles to your tenner.

That would equate to 29 mpg at 80p/litre and would be less than I'd expect for your car in a mix of driving.
I've probably put myself down there as a crazed idiot ragging it down the motorway. (Would it help if I said you'd be lucky to see 5 cars on it the entire journey?)

Roughly speaking in a day, I take my Mum to work, come back home, off to Uni, back home, back to Mum's work, back home and then probably the shop. That's a day where I don't go out elsewhere.

That's probably around 50 miles a day at the end of which, I'd be looking at filling up again.

Oddly enough, the gauge barely moves on the motorway so it's obviously the town driving that's doing it.

I may fill it up this week to work out the mpg. I would be interested.
--
Adam
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - Altea Ego
So thats 8 trips - less than 50 miles, mostly urban stuff from the sound of it, average 7 miles per trip.

Thats not really a condusive motoring pattern for economy.

(Plus the weight of that boot.......)
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - Civic8
Town driving is always worse than a long run..Also bear in mind the weather conditions..Colder the air is more fuel is needed.My neighbour has a new focus ie 54 and is moaning his is only doing 18mpg at the momment
--
Steve
To be honest. I'm glad at these reponses. I thought the urban stuff was killing it. Even if keeping it really slow gave me 80 mpg I wouldn't because it's just so boring.

Thanks for your replies guys....and your little witticisms RF. Always appreciated. :-)
--
Adam
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - Hugo {P}
Adam,

If you stopped carrying that baseball bat and tyre lever in the boot around with you all the time you'll get better MPG;)

H
"Man found running around town naked shouting

"The boot sets it off nicele! THE BOOT LOOKS NICE!!!"

They're the headlines tomorrow by the way. I'm being pushed over the edge!

--
Adam
He's really lost it now - and who is nicele?

H
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - patently
who is nicele?

>>

Pepe's daughter.
He wants to drive a nice French car, but cant quite get into the lingo.
PHEW, thanks goodness for that - I thought he was after a Renault!

H
And what is that big van in your drive?
Well that's a Nissan Pr....oh right. I see.

I wonder if I stay quiet for long enough you too will do my job for me between yourselves?

:-)
--
Adam
There's nothing wrong with Renault Vans, it's just a shame they make cars as well! :)

H
2 points to H.

Your turn RF.
--
Adam
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - Badger
Can anyone play?
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - Avant
I think we can all play - especially as one of the moderators is taking part!

What I've been wanting to know for some time, Adam, is why you are Adski... It's either because your first car was a Lada or your burning ambition is to own one, the booted Focus being the first step.

It sounds as if you're doing a highish mileage - maybe your next car should be a diesel. You might be able to do a straight swap for a diesel Focus - or something from Eastern Europe?!
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - L'escargot
According to my Focus's trip computer, the things that result in poor fuel consumption are the excessive use of low gears, high acceleration, and high speed. For good economy, use gentle acceleration, change up as soon as possible, and moderate your speed. But I expect that I'm wasting my time telling you this, Adski! ;-)

I get 38-40 mpg out of my 2 litre and I'm happy with that.

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Well hasn't everyone been busy; thinking of insults for poor old Adam!

Avant, oddly enough, I've never wanted to own a Lada. The Samara or Riva just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

My name on here is Adski for 2 reasons. Firstly, why I do not know, but it was a nickname when I was at school. Doesn't mean anything but considering when I joined, not a lot of people used their real names, I decided to use it. (First thing that came into my head). Howeverm when it was obvious that the forum was a more friendly place, I decided to just add my name to the end. But methinks your comments were tic anyway ;-)

Diesel. Never really thought about this. My Dad never owned one and thought them all tractors until he drove an E320 CDI and is now somewhat of a convert. It wouldn't surprise me if his next car was a diesel. Me however, I don't know. I won't be changing my car for a good while so my priorities may change. I always thought I'd go through hopelessly impractical cars first, then sensible ones but....well I'm not going to say anything. If I was looking for a car, and a diesel was in the equation, I suspect it would have to be a larger engined one. Probably 2.0 or more but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

L'escargot, you are wasting your time but it's always a pleaure reading your posts!

I'm going to do a mpg test this week and see what happens.

Thanks all for yout comments...no matter how tic they were!

:-)
--
Adam
Horrendous Economy or lead foot? - nick
An mpg test is the way to go. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. Do a brim-to-brim preferably from the same petrol pump driving as normal, then again driving sedately. Bear in mind that just one long journey or being stuck in traffic for an hour can greatly skew the figures.