Megane 1996 - poor idling - Mike H
The idling speed on my 1996 Megane 1.4 8v has been a bit low for a while (750rpm). When I got home last night, it dropped to 500 & was struggling a bit. It's also stalled once or twice in the last few weeks which was unusual. I replaced the air filter some months ago. I'm planning to fit some new plugs this weekend. Does anyone have any ideas on other things to look for - I thought perhaps an inlet manifold leak. I don't suspect anything as sinister as a head gasket as I'm not losing water & it was replace about 9 months ago following a cam belt failure & subsequent top end rebuild. Apart from the idling, she runs sweet as a nut.
Replaced the plugs, seems better - any other ideas?
Megane 1996 - poor idling - Crinkly Dave
Is this one of the Renaults with the suspect coils? Early signs perhaps
This is the first Renault I've had for years - what is the coil problem they suffer from?
Try

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

HJ usually gets it right. There is an article in Car Mechanics this week that suggest some owners even carry a spare (OK, HJ says not a good idea to swop em singly, but I can't comment on that)
?

Sorry, can't find reference to a coil problem at the link you give - although the engine block earth sounds something worth trying.
"In June 2001 Renault was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's joint 4th worst out of 22 marques for used car warranty claims (www.warrantydirect.co.uk) 20th from bottom for reliabilty in Auto Express 2002 reader survey of 100 models. Renault has admitted to a cold running problem with some 1.4 and 1.6 16v engines which run over lean on start up to reduce CO2 output and as a result run roughly. Sharp edge of engine soundproofing cover of diesel can cut through fuel pump wiring loom. Replacement available from Renault dealers. Reports of coil failures, similar to those affecting VAG cars. If this happens, must replace all four coils, not just one, or it could re-occur with another coil. "
Megane 1996 - poor idling - Altea Ego
It does not sound like a coil problem, usually if one of these goes it makes it run roughly and misfire at higher revs,

I reckon its a sensor - engine temperature probably.
Sorry Dave, I read it several times & missed the coil reference! Thank you.

I know it's had a new temperature sender for the water temp gauge, so I assume that's OK. Seems better with the new plugs so I'll keep an eye on it.