sluggish saxo 1.1 - nig.xl
I've just bought a 2 yr old 1.1 mpi saxo with 27K on the clock and FSH. I am only getting 41 mpg compared with 48mpg from my previous Peugeot 106 with similar miles and same engine, the Peugeot also had more zest, as has my mothers saxo.
My driving style is the same and the brakes are not dragging, the air filter is clean and I have no engine management lights up or any misfiring. The car is going into the garage soon to have a new sunroof and door seal under warranty any ideas why the power could be down and mpg down before it goes in so I can point them in the right direction, they need all the help they can get...... Thanks
sluggish saxo 1.1 - Ben79
Are your tyres correct? What about the tracking?

Try some injector cleaner, use decent petrol and try an italian tune up!

I don't think the spark plugs are due for changing yet, but when I changed the ones in my 1.4 Xsara at around that mileage, they looks ready for a change.

Tyres are new Michelins, tracking I didn't check but will.
I was thinking injector cleaner, not decided which one to try yet, maybe Redex.
Interested in the Italian tune up, what's that all about ? Can they do a download to advance the ignition or refuelling maybe ?
sluggish saxo 1.1 - mjm
Italian tune up:-
Find nice quiet deserted road, double check to see if it really is SAFE to do so,
Pretend all the devils in hell (or the mother in law, if applicable) are after you and er, have some fast SAFE fun.
That may well do the trick, it was owned by a 60 something year old woman driver.
I'll let you know.
Thanks
sluggish saxo 1.1 - 3T
definately agree with an italian tune up, can work wonders,
out of interest,Iworked for peugeot dealer a few years ago which ran a few 106 demonstrators from new. We took a pair of them , made sure one was babied for couple of months, the other was thrashed mercilessly for the same sort of time. The difference between the two was remarkable in that the thrashed one was far quicker,so much so that when the boss went out it he came back and accused me of having 'chipped' the thing!
Have found in my experience with used cars owned by people who never stretch the engine seem to need running in to your style of driving and will gradually improve over couple of months, worked for me with various micras and saxos!
Thanks 3T, I'm going to try injector cleaner in my next fill up and hopefully after a couple of weeks of my driving style things should improve.