New website - please help - Sersoft
Hi,

I have created a new website called GiveMPV (www.givempv.com) to help me raise enough money to buy a new MPV for my recently expanded family. The reasons I am doing this are explained on the website. I got the idea from the sites that appeared a couple of years ago from girls in the US that wanted to get rid of their credit card debt (www.savekaryn.com) or have bigger boobs (www.giveboobs.com). Surely this is for a better cause?

I would be grateful to hear what people think and, if you would like to donate to the fund, feel free!)

Paul Hulatt
GiveMPV.com

NOTE TO MODS: Please do not delete this post, I asked Honest John for permission before posting.
New website - please help - VTiredeyes
you might wanna change your html
its got a ) on the end of it.
thus no such website
does work if you take out ) tho.
:-P
New website - please help - Hugo {P}
I think the website is fine, however on the broader subject:

Your need for this MPV does seem genuine, however my read of the site leaves some unanswered questions.

Your wife has this medical condition. Would you therefore be entitled to a suitable vehicle on the Motability scheme?

For the reasons above, what are you new DSS entitlements? You and your wife have paid enough taxes over the years, now it's payback.

If you have looked into Mobility and DSS entitlements etc, then you need to state this and summarise the outcomes to strengthen your case.

How much are you looking to spend on the MPV? You don't mention a target figure. In addition the proceeds from the sale or trade in of your own car should be taken into account, unless you have a valid reason for keeping this as well.

In addition to these, on a more specific motoring note:

Have you identified the MPV most suited to your needs.

Could your current car go towards or evn be the deposit on a fiance agreement (for example 0% with 30% down and NO final payment)? This could meet your immediate needs and give you time to raise the finance over a longer period.

Your wife will almost certainly be ebtitled to free RFL and a disabled badge. Her resulting disability sounds very much like that of my late mother.

In case you didn't know this, insuring your wife to drive should not be a problem provided she is fit to drive. Insurers are not allowed to discriminate on health grounds.

I wish you well in meeting your needs.

Hugo
Hugo,

Thanks for your message. I'll try to answer your points in order.

I have done a bit of research on the Motability Scheme but it would seem that greater discounts can be obtained by purchasing a new car via a broker such as the ones featured by HJ on this site.

I will look into the DSS stuff tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

My overall target figure is around £22,000 and I expect the sale of our current car to contribute around £7,000 of this. I'll add this info to the site.

From a motoring standpoint, I am open to suggestions on which MPV best suits our needs. I am a bit of a Ford man so the Galaxy was my first thought although the sliding doors on the C8/807 do sound like they would be useful. I do not think that the smaller models (Zafira/C-Max/Picasso/Scenic) will meet our needs so it's definately the larger MPV were looking at.

From a financial point of view, were not really in a position to enter into a credit agreement at the moment, 0% or otherwise.

My wifes Consultant Cardiologist has told her that he will support her application for a disabled badge.

Best Regards

Paul.
New website - please help - DavidHM
I don't mean to be harsh and I sympathise, but if your current car (52 plate 1.8 LX, 51 plate 2.0 Ghia or Y plate Ghia X diesel?) is going to contribute £7k, you only need to find about £8.5k to get into a diesel C8 LX. £7k would get you an 04 plate Galaxy Zetec diesel.

The extra £7k you want to raise will pay for bells and whistles only, although possibly the remote control sliding door may be useful for your wife when she has with the children.

Higher rate DLA is £41.05 per week, or £178.36 per month.

Assuming that you are not receiving anything yet, your credit is good and nothing else changes financially, that would give you about £13,000 to spend on your replacement vehicle without denting your budget. That should get you an 03 or 53 plate example of most of the cars you've named, perhaps without some of the toys you get on the top models.

However I would at least consider a small MPV like a Zafira, Picasso, C-Max or Scénic. They offer the height and most of the width of the full size MPVs for easy access, are much cheaper to buy, easier to park, usually cheaper to insure and certainly use less fuel. If it's really not practical then fair enough but £10k will get you an 04 1.6 diesel C-Max LX (albeit auto ones are rare as hen's teeth and don't work properly, so avoid if that's what you need) and that more or less halves your cost to change.

By the way people, please don't take this as an incitement not to donate but I think it's as helpful to give practical solutions rather than aiming for quite a high target when the practical benefit of half of that money is going to be fairly small.
Our current car is a 51 plate 2.0LX TDdi Estate and I take your point about setting the target so high and I've modified the site. Your right, remote sliding doors would be extremely useful for Mandy when she has the kids!

I think that although the smaller MPVs have enough space for the kids, it's the stuff that goes with them that they might struggle with.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions and thanks to the kind people who have donated already via both PayPal & SMS.

Paul.
New website - please help - smokie
I haven't bothered reading your site or even the info above thoroughly as I personally wouldn't donate to something like this in this manner - however if the cause is good and can be fully supported on genuine medical or social grounds you might engage some support from a local fund raising organisation such as Round Table or Lions.

Local libraries usually have details of local voluntary clubs.
New website - please help - Ex-Moderator
I sympathise with your wife's problems.

However;

If all you need is something which is easy to get three kids in and out of, then you don't need £22,000.

Firstly you don't need to buy new. Secondly, you don't need all the extras - You could get something a great deal cheaper and achieve the same.

You were buying a car in September from a brokers. I'm guessing you didn't do that, but surely whatever funds were available then are available now ?

I presume that before asking others for money you have sold the stereo, cancelled the holiday and recycled the cat ? Surely you have raised what money you can yourself rather than simply working out the gap between the car you've got now, the brand new car you'd like to have and then expecting others to fund the difference ?

>>got the idea from the sites that appeared a couple of years ago from girls in the US that wanted to get rid of their credit card debt (www.savekaryn.com) or have bigger boobs (www.giveboobs.com). Surely this is for a better cause?

If you say so. In all three cases it seems to be about avoiding spending your own money but still wanting the benefit.

I know HJ gave you premission to post it here because he felt it to be "cheeky and fresh". I wouldn't have characterised it quite like that, nor would I have given permission. Nonetheless, it is HJ's site, and I respect his decision.

I am sure that my views are about to attract an uproar, but you posted in an open forum, and I have replied with my honest views, however unpopular.

Mark.
New website - please help - wantone
If youre needs are that great!get a cheap second hand car??
New website - please help - Stuartli
I really can't understand why you cannot obtain the vehicle you require by rather more traditonal methods or through Government support agencies.

Certainly I would have a slightly different expression than "cheeky and fresh" to describe your approach.

If your circumstances are such that you really are having difficulties, then may I respectly suggest you contact your local Rotary or Lions Club.

Every penny such organisations raise for charitable purposes is used for exactly that - all the work involved is done voluntarily, unlike some of the more famous name charities which are run, quite literally, as businesses.

Only a very small proportion of money donated by the public is actually used in charity wrok and the remainder goes in administration costs by these particular organisations.

In fact if more people were aware of just how little they donate is used for what they anticipated there would be quite a backlash.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
New website - please help - Altea Ego
No uproar from me me Mark. I hope the Tax man is keeping an eye on this one?
New website - please help - Adam {P}
Could someone please give me...shall we say....30 grand please? I fancy a nice V70.

Thanks
--
Adam
New website - please help - derek
yeeah while your on the subject my flat roof leaked and cost me 1800 notes this month, that takes some finding with two young kids. so i would be greatfull for a few handouts as well.

my wife wants a picasso, but thats on a back burner now cos of the roof.

why dont you sell your car and buy to bangernomics type cars

New website - please help - derek
oh yes i forgot i did do a website as well

www.youmustthinkwerenotrightintheheadyousoftgit.com
New website - please help - VTiredeyes
all i can say is fair play to you
i was told by my father that in this world
if you dont ask, you dont get.
In the back of each issue of Private Eye there are columns of ads from people, very few of which have any contact details, some of which have some justification, but all with a bank sort code and account number. They are looking for donations, anonymously.

I often wonder whether it would be worth the £20 or so to place and ad just to see how much I'd get...
Thanks to all those who have posted sensible comments and suggestions. I have updated the FAQ on the site to answer some of them.

To those who think it is a waste of time, your comments are as valid as anyone elses' but another reason for this site is to showcase myself as a Web Designer, and any jobs I gain through the site would help the cause too.

VTiredeyes - Too true!!!

Paul.

PS. By the way, I have come up with a way people can help without parting with their own cash - for more info visit: www.givempv.com/donate4free.asp
As I mentioned in my previous post, I would have thought you would seek advice as to what help you could get from Govt agencies/funds ie Mobility allowance etc.

In addition I do feel you have rushed into this idea without first considering the options. As others have pointed out, you don't necessarily need a new car, you simply need something to meet your every day needs. That means IMO going round all the franchise dealers and trying as many MPVs as you can, rather than plumping for the top of the range galaxy, and new to boot.

It is for this reason that my sympathy, and that of others others probably, is limited.

If you're going to ask for a hand out from people who can often barely afford to run their own cars, do you homework first.

You didn't ask to be put in the position you're in I know that and for that you do have my sympathy. But with all the grief going on around us it really gets my goat when you ask for a new top of the range car in this way.

I wish you luck in finding and buying a vehicle to suit your needs. I don't wish you luck in trying to get a new Galexy.

Hugo
New website - please help - BrianM
I agree with the views expressed that you should scale down your expectations - lots of people would like a brand new car, but can't afford one. An explanation why you cannot obtain Mobility Allowance or help from any other source on the website would also be useful.

Also, on the site, I think you should
1) be open about how much you are want to raise and included a daily update on funds raised
2) state what happens when you reach the mimimum you say you need
3)state what will happen to any excess money - there are many good causes - perhaps something linked to disabilty or your wife's medical condition?

Without this, I've got a feeling the vast majority of people will just see it as another internet scam!
New website - New way to help - Sersoft
I have reworded the site (FAQ) page so it is clearer what the aims of the site are. Also, (Hugo) I have never stated that I am looking to get a top of the range Galaxy!

In respect of DLA, I must admit that I wasn't aware it existed and did'nt really think about whether Mandy qualified for any disability allowance. We have now applied for DLA so that we can hopefully get a vehicle on Motability. If this is successful any money raised by the site will be donated to the British Heart Foundation.

Also, I have come up with a way of people helping the cause without parting with any of their own hardearned cash. If you visit the site and click on the "Donate for FREE" link, there are a number of companies who will pay me if you visit their sites and signup (no outlay). The best examples of this are: -

* Apply for a free, no-obligation quote from e-loan.co.uk and we'll get £30
* Signup to Talk Talk (the home phone company from the Carphone Warehouse) for free and we'll get £20
* Signup for a free trial of GoToMyPC.co.uk and we'll get £6
* Register on Ebay.co.uk and place a bid for any item (within 30 days) and we'll get £6
* Order a free mousemat (with free worldwide delivery!) and we'll get approx. £1

I'd really be grateful if everyone could do at least one of these.

I hope I have answered everyones questions, if not please let me know either via this thread or through the site and I'll try to answer ASAP. I want to be as open as possible.

Regards

Paul
www.givempv.com
New website - New way to help - Stuartli
I've just visited your website (more out of curiosity than anything) and, to be quite frank, you'll need to work very much harder if you wish to attract paying customers requiring website designs.

To be quite honest the whole concept leaves me completely speechless especially as I believe, as obviously do others, that you can get a considerable way to meeting your (necessary) requirements through a number of channels without resorting to such tactics.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
New website - New way to help - Ex-Moderator
Some errors on your website;

"Definately" would be better spelled "Definitely"

Fund progress says you wish to "raise" £8,000 whereas FAQ only wants to "raise" £7,000

"raise" is normally spelled "scrounge"
New website - New way to help - BobbyG
I am afraid there is something about this site that just churns my stomach. My sister just sold her Toyota Picnic with 6 individual captain seats for £5k. If you really were desperate for a car that suits your needs, then you could sell your own and buy an appropriate car, like the Picnic and walk away with change in your pocket.
I do not doubt for a minute the medical conditions etc involved, but in my experience, most disabled and ill people do not like to use their own illness as a bargaining tool.
New website - New way to help - Pugugly {P}
SWMBO's disabled mother would turn in her grave. She wouldn't mind me saying, fought against MS for 35 years and from a non privlaged background (clergy) had to scrape pennies and pounds together to fund changes to three Victorian Rectories (oh and re-instate before moving on) and several cars.
New website - New way to help - Dalglish
Some errors on your website;

>>

you missed telling him that "your" is not the same as "you're".

also, on another note, he says he will update the site daily - we will see if he does work the few minutes to keep his promise to do the updates.

although i somehow think work is another word he won't know the real meaning of.

lock this thread.

p.s. is begging legal ?

New website - please help - Leon on Derv
I am not certain what you are requesting help with - if it is your website design and layout I can help you there, but given that this is a motoring forum, I assume you are wanting to relieve me of the content of my wallet, sorry, I cant help you with that one.

I empathise with your position, and I am sure you think you are doing the right thing for your family, albeit by somewhat unconventional methods.

I dont wish to raise your personal circumstances, but given that you state you are prepared to work all hours, surely a loan would be a quick and realistic option. Repayments on £7K over three years is unlikely to be more than £250 a month. Many loan companies will allow you four or even 5 years on an unsecured personal loan, so the repayments could be as little as £160 a month over a longer period.

Has your site really stretched your creative web design to it fullest extents or did you knock it up during your lunch break? It is unlikely to attract businesses towards you as a web designer. Look at this site as an example, or check out helibits.com just for some ideas of layout and content. Bear in mind a site is an expression of a corporate identity, a 'word processed' look is not what mainstream organisations are looking for.

I wish you and your family well, do keep the forum posted on fund raising progress.

All the best,
Leon
New website - please help - tyre tread
My heart bleeds for you.

Do what the rest of us have to do and work for what you need or in this case what you want!

Talk about bare faced cheek!

I know of thousands of more deserving cases.

This is a symptom of our "look how badly done to I am" society.

If you can't earn more money to allow you the extra comfort the give up work and look after your wife so that she doesn't have to "over-exert herself"

Sheer greed!
New website - please help - Robin Reliant
Or you could try placing this advert, as heard on Jeremy Vine this week.

How to make yourself rich with an 0900 number. For details, phone 0976 ....

New website - please help - Pugugly {P}
Felt so strongly about this donated another sum to the Tsunami fund purely after reading that web-site.
Right, and I'm talking to me as well, I think we've registered our disapproval quite enough. By all means continue if you have something new to say but lets back off on the rest.
New website - please help - Kevin
Hi,

I have created a new website called GiveBentleyContinentalGT to help me raise enough money to buy a new Bentley Continental GT to replace my XJ8..

I'm new to this website design thingy but I've heard there are plenty of fools out there.

Kevin...

PS. A friend has a Mondeo estate too. His wife is in hospital in Southampton with lung, liver and bone cancer. She had a second operation yesterday to insert metal support rods in her legs because the cancer is weakening the bone and the chemotherapy is going to weaken them further.

PPS. A very dear colleague has just had his 12 month sabatical extended by 6 months. His wife is suffering from Multiple Sclerosis and it's breaking his heart watching her condition deteriorate.

And just in case you hadn't heard, there are alot of people around the Indian Ocean who need help just now.

No thanks Sersoft, I can find more deserving causes to support.

Mods. I wish you would delete this thread. It angers and upsets me.
And me, and if HJ wishes to remove it then he will do so.

And if I can cope with people deciding whether or not I should drive a 4x4 or not, and whether or not I can justify having one, then you can suffer this one !! 8-)

Do read my last note though, opinions have been registered, it is here for all to read. Rather more effective them removing it from sight, I think.

New website - please help - Kevin
OK, keep the thread but maybe delete the link. If anyone has the inclination to donate they can go looking for it.

As for other peoples opinions about your 4x4 fetish, I try not to read them. I enjoyed a very protected updragging ;-)

Kevin...

PS. Don't delete the GiveBentleyContinentalGT link, I'll have that registered and running tomorrow.
New website - please help - Avant
Sersoft - please put us - and yourself - out of our misery. Go out this week-end, vist some suitable dealers and do a straight swap of your newish Mondeo for an MPV of similar or maybe slightly older vintage. It shouldn't be difficult, and the MPV should be no more, no less reliable than the Mondeo.

We all hope Mandy recovers her strength soon. Make sure she's happy driving a MPV - a Mitsubishi Spacewagon might be easier to drive, and possibly cheaper. It should be reliable too.
Agreed as above, and don't forget to pursue the disability living allowance.

Hugo
New website - please help - Vansboy
You could have had a mint 00X Sharan 2.8V6 sport, 84k, yesterday, in auction.

Only £4225 + premium!!

So if you sold the current car, you'd have change enough, to fuel it for a year!!

& for info, similar high quality, 01Y Galaxy TDi Ghia, 64k, was £7400 + premium.

Guess the punters, have all found out how much unleaded costs, in one of these!!

VB
Sersoft,

Having read the above posts and seen all the advice you have received, I hope you'll feel happy to update us on the purchase of a new vehicle.

I for one would be interested in your pursuit of DLA etc from the DSS, and what you spend it on and why.

Best of luck, and by all means come back when you need some more advice

This is meant genuinely btw.

Hugo
Hi,

Thanks for the constructive messages from people.

Just to let everyone know I have removed the PayPal stuff from the site and am not looking for handouts anymore. What a stupid idea it was anyway!! Thanks to the person who donated £50 by PayPal but I have refunded your money back to you.

We have applied to the DWP for the Disability Living Allowance and we should here back within about 7 weeks or so! Fingers crossed!!!! As to what we'll get, I dunno, any suggestions.

I have left the site up, minus the begging stuff(!!), as I would still be grateful if people could click some of the banners and links on there. It won't cost you anything, just a little time. For instance, if you apply for a no obligation quotation from e-loan.co.uk, I'll get £30!! Not bad eh!!

Any way, thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you all in the future.

Paul.
New website - please help - J Bonington Jagworth
Glad to hear. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess, but I feel obliged to point out that some old cars work remarkably well, and cost very little to buy. Our younger car is 15 this year and still reliable enough for me to mention it...
A quick update. We have heard back from the DWP and they have turned down our application for DLA.

Regards

Paul.
New website - please help - cheddar
While I agree with the saying "if you don't ask, you don't get" and I am very sorry to hear of your wife's medical problem I must say that there are many families in greater hardship than yourselves who can't even dream about a car yet alone a 51 plate 2.0LX TDdi Estate! -- yet alone a 22 grand MPV!!!

There are various levels of state support, as mentioned earlier in this thread, that may otr may not apply however charity should be targeted at familiies who are just about to loose their home, not ones who want to replace their 4 year old £6000 estate car.

Best regards.
New website - please help - 1066
hi i cannot believe the nerve of some of these people! just where do get off with their(opinions?) they really helped me when i had trouble but i cannot stand what theyve done to you.lets hope that nothing too...bad will happen in their lives. then they will know what it feels to have your life turned upside down. ive just been made disabled too and its devastating.and thats through no fault of my own. ive just got a c-max from motability. its great but i had to fight to get the claim. dont give up. get docs to write as well. if you want to contact me please feel free to do so. i wish you all the best ....
New website - please help - mfarrow
I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I thought this thread was being done to death and there's no point repeating other people.

But, I do feel that with a £7k car and the sudden change of situation you can afford to make do with a £7k MPV. I've just had a look at e-bay and a lot are going on their for less than £7k.

May I have suggest the need for a brand new one is more to do with a phobia of buying an older car and having it breaking down. Now while it is true that old cars break down more often, I don't think a 6 or 7 year old car is going to give you much grief. Mine is 15 years old and the only problem it's had are one's I've caused. A friend's family had an Espace from new to 100k that needed just a new battery. Another drives a 140k Cavalier which has been consistantly reliable.

It may take ages to get an appeal through for funding so for your wife's sake it's time to fight your phobia and buy something second hand. We all don't like the thought of SWMBO being stuck at the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, but breakdown services are generally quick to respond to lone female callouts, and I'm sure you'd be just a phone call away.
As BigBirdy says, we have formed an opinion, which turned out to be mainly negative, and I am not trying to pass judgement on that opinion.

However, as one of the first negative contributors to this thread I would like to thank Paul for bothering to come back and let us know how he is getting on. He had a rough ride from the Backroom, which may or may not have been deserved. We just don't know.

Thanks Paul, good luck for the future...
I've taken all the stick earlier in the thread but the reply from "cheddar" has really got my goat!!! If youy can't be bottered to read the whole thread, DON'T REPLY!!

My latest message was just info for those people who had suggested going down the Disability Living Allowance route which was unsuccessful. Also, if you had actually bothered to read further you would see that I have removed all the donation stuff from the website.

Sorry if this post offends but I think I have taken enough stick and if you can't take it, don't dish it out!

Paul.
New website - please help - cheddar
I've taken all the stick earlier in the thread but the
reply from "cheddar" has really got my goat!!! If youy
can't be bottered to read the whole thread, DON'T REPLY!!
My latest message was just info for those people who had
suggested going down the Disability Living Allowance route which was unsuccessful.
Also, if you had actually bothered to read further you
would see that I have removed all the donation stuff from
the website.
Sorry if this post offends but I think I have taken
enough stick and if you can't take it, don't dish it
out!

Hi, I am not sure why my post has wound you up because I was really only making similar points to those already made by others. I did look at the whole thread and I looked at your website just before posting, if you had modified it prior to that fine however my opinion was based on what I saw on the day that I viewed it.

Once again I am sorry to hear tht you wife has medical problems and perhaps you should be commended for the creativity you have shown however there is a lot of advice in this thread that is likely to do you a lot more good than your website will.

With regard to "if you can't take it, don't dish it out!", I am not the one who started this thread asking for opinions, you are. If you can't take the opinions you yourself solicicted on the chin the you should not have started the thread in the first place.

Best regards.

>>I am not the one who started this thread asking for opinions, you are. If you can't take the opinions you yourself solicicted on the chin the you should not have started the thread in the first place.

I agree.
And I can't see anything useful coming out of this now. I thought it had died a natural death.

Locked.