Golf tyres, which ones? - shoei
The two front tyres on my Golf 1.6SE are due to be replaced, what tyres do other Golf owners use and what do they think? On the car at the moment are Dunlop SP9E 91T 195/65/15. I am thinking about Vredestein Sportrac 2 of the same size, any views on these? they won the Autoexpress best buy tyre test last year.I have managed to get a price of £63.45 each fitted, is this a good price? Thank you.
Golf tyres, which ones? - wantone
dunlop are supposed to be good tyres,are you not pleased with them for some reason?
OEM on my golf are bridgestone!.Dont actually know anybody that has had Vredestein fitted.The only tyre that i have ever been let down with were michelins?(for some reason they only lasted 3,000 mile,replaced with conti's which were still on the car when sold 14,000 later so have always stuck with them.Other people will odviously use diff makes and have diff stories!!!
The dunlops are fine they have lasted 21000, just wondered if there is anything better.
Golf tyres, which ones? - daveyjp
I swapped my Dunlop 9000s for Toyos. 30% cheaper, but similar tread pattern and they received a better score in the reviews.
Golf tyres, which ones? - Peter D
Goodyear NCT 5's are my choice on the Golf, excellent traction, good balance and cvery controllable when you do get out of shape. Regards Peter
Golf tyres, which ones? - Graemetdci
Hi Shoei,

I have the vredestein sportrac 2's on my focus in 195/60 r15 profile. Got them fitted back in June at a cost of £55 a corner balanced/valves/fitted etc. They are a better tyre than the pirelli p6000's I had before. They have massive v-shaped water drainage channels and stiff sidewalls so the are very good in the wet but are probably not the quietest tyre you can get, although slightly quiter than the p6000's. Despite being primarily a wet weather 'performance' tyre, they do have very good dry grip. My only concern so far is that they appear to be wearing slightly faster than the p6000's, probably the sacrifice for having better grip/softer tread compound.

All in all, a very good value and underrated tyre although as always, others may have different experiences. Vredestein also do the Hi-trac range which are more comfort than performance orientated - had a set on my wife's fiesta (185/55 r14) and again, they were very good.

Let us know what you decide on.

Graeme
Golf tyres, which ones? - tyrexpert
The two front tyres on my Golf 1.6SE are due to
be replaced, what tyres do other Golf owners use and what
do they think? On the car at the moment are Dunlop
SP9E 91T 195/65/15. I am thinking about Vredestein Sportrac 2 of
the same size, any views on these? they won the Autoexpress
best buy tyre test last year.I have managed to get a
price of £63.45 each fitted, is this a good price? Thank
you.

the t rated dunlop SP9e was a special oe vag fitment for your model.The mileage you quote seems good to me. as a guide you should be looking at about £48.00 for them. £ 63 seems awfully expensive to me for a non oe spec tyre...
Well, I replaced the Dunlop`s for the Vredestein and I am very impressed so far, I have done about 500 miles on all types of road. They worked just as well as the Dunlop`s until I hit a patch of water on the A55 in North wales during the heavy rain over the weekend and unlike the Dunlops, which you could feel the steering lighten, the Vredestein dispersed the water and the steering stayed firm. I think a set for our other car will certainly be in order.The noise level in the cabin is just the same as on the Dunlop`s and the MPG has not changed.
And I got them for £117 the pair from "WEM TYRES WEM SHROPSHIRE", Highly recommended
And I got them for £117 the pair from "WEM TYRES
WEM SHROPSHIRE", Highly recommended

you obviously have a large and very disposable income.
Golf tyres, which ones? - Aprilia
>> And I got them for £117 the pair from "WEM
TYRES
>> WEM SHROPSHIRE", Highly recommended
you obviously have a large and very disposable income.

OK, what price *should* they be?

If that's for a pair, V-rating, fitted, valve and balanced then I would say its a resonable price. I can't believe they retail at less than £50-55 a tyre anywhere.
OK, what price *should* they be?
If that's for a pair, V-rating, fitted, valve and balanced then
I would say its a resonable price. I can't believe they
retail at less than £50-55 a tyre anywhere.

Vreds being none oe spec tyres should not be more than around £89 the pair fitted inc valve balance & vat... The original question was for t rated which in that case should be around £80 the pair. T rated is not a popular speed rating in this size whereas the V rated is in the top 3 selling sizes in the UK. Hence greater competition in this size speed rating and the abnormal closeness in price spread. For a pair of 195/65vr15 tyres at £117 I would expect to get in the midlands the following :- Avon with £22.00 change Firesstone with £16.00 change Goodyear NCT5/Hydragrip with £10.00 change Pirelli P6000/Powergy with £ 6.00 change Uniroyal R550 with £10.00 change or Dunlop SP200/SP01 with £14.00 change All OE specifcation tyres.....
Tyrexpert, You should start your own tyre buisness you would make a fortune.
The price of the tyres you quoted are not, in my view, the deciding factor. I wanted a safe tyre with a proven record, the Vredestein won the Autoexpress tyre test, they beat all the ones you stated. So for the saving of £22-£6 I will feel much better knowing when my family and I are in the car, I have the best tyres for my car under all conditions.
I have and I do. I not knocking Vreds they are a good tyre. All I said that I think you paid too much. I am aware of the Autoexpress tests as the Vred rep piled my branches with them upon publication, as did the Goodyear rep when the Hydragrip was tested as the best family tyre and the F1 was tested as the best ultra high performance tyre for the 3rd year running by Autocar. Continental always bring the results of their German tests etc etc etc
Golf tyres, which ones? - JohnM{P}
Tyrexpert
I'm curious, what is the significance behind your distinction between OE or non-OE specification tyres?
I can understand that that for certain cars (eg Jag XJ's, to show my age!) only specific tyres should be fitted, but for family hatches? I presume non-oe spec may be better (eg. oe spec to give low price, or performance tyre) or may be worse (eg. cheap import).
OE spec tyres are tyres made to a quality standard as demanded by the vehicle manufacturers, and then fitted to the car when new. These manufacturers are the well known names such as Bridgestone/Firestone Goodyear/Dunlop Michelin Pirelli and Continental. These firms spend millions on R&D and work closely with the VMs when they are developing new models ie Conti and the new runflats for the BMW 1 series. Not all Manufaturers ranges are fitted as OE but all are manufactured exactly to the same standard. ie they do not make different qualities under the same brand name. You are quite right when you say that it may not be as critical for family hatches as for a high performance cars, nevertheless I think it is always the best to make sure that you have the best you can afford when tyres are the only things in contact with the road, bearing in mind that of the above the dearest isn`t necessarily the best. Even family hatches have to perform well in an emergency, when you are likely to have to use the car to its full capabilities.
Golf tyres, which ones? - JohnM{P}
Thanks for the reply, TE, re oe spec. I agree that a premier name is highly desirable - it amazes me the number of cars I see on forecourts that look good but have newish tyres made in far east or east european countries with totaly unknown names. I'd want to change them immediately, and would question how the car had been looked after, if the cheapest of cheap tyres had been fitted.
However, what about the 'middle' names which the tyre depots offer (eg Courier), together with the info that they are made by XXX or YYY (top flight names) as there 'cheaper' brand?

Most motor traders have only cost in mind when when they put used cars on the forecourt.Some of the largest fleet operators when selling their ex lease vehicles insist on budget tyres only. Regarding the majors` budget brands, and most have them, some examples are as follows. Goodyear has Sava Bridgestone has Dayton Pirelli has Courier. They generally are older patterns and are made in their low cost producing factories ie most Sava are made in Slovenia and I believe that most Courier are made in Turkey etc. They tend to be a little more expensive than the names you have never heard of but often the difference is minimal, and we in the trade have the backup of the uk bases of these major multinationals. Technically these brands tend to be of older compound,construction,and tread patterns. All the latest R&D is obviously put into the flagship brands.
You call yourself 'Tyrexpert' but then go on to say Vredestein are 'non-OE' spec? Vredestein are OE spec. on VW - a couple of years ago I had a VW with factory-fitted Vredestein. In fact 'OE-spec' means very little these days - some VW Polos have, in recent years, come from the factory fitted with Kumho tyres!
Well well well we are getting our knickers in a twist. I don`t call myself a tyrexpert I am one! My company fitted over 115000 tyres and 75000 exhaust pieces in 04 as well as thousands of batteries and brakes etc etc. We did not achieve this by giving bad service, bad advice, or bad value for money. We have crossed swords before on other tyre threads and I note with some satisfaction that you failed to reply to my final posts. But lets be pedantic if you wish, you are quite correct Vreds were fitted to basic entry level Polos but not now. I believe VAG are considering Hankook(Korean) tyres for their latest basic entry level Polo. The majors are watching this as before and there are a lot of politics going on at the moment in the oe tyre supply game. The majors are trying to get above the ridiculously low prices they have to provide oe for and the VMs don`t like it. You claim to be a "motoring expert" yet you continue to promote seriously over priced budget tyres. However I believe in jaw-jaw rather than war-war though i would act on the latter with relish and having read your profile ( somewhat egotistical) I genuinely believe we are on the same side. You state that you are against the anti competitve nature of the retail motor industry and I am against the poor quality and aervice sometimes shown in the Fast Fit industry, I could go on and on but modesty forbids. LET US WORK TOGETHER TO PROMOTE ALL THAT IS GOOD WITHIN OUR INDUSTRY, AND POINT OUT ITS FAILURES AND WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO DO TO RECTIFY THE SAME. In this way all roomers and everyone else will benefit and so will we in the industry that feeds us.
Well well well we are getting our knickers in a twist.
I don`t call myself a tyrexpert I am one!
We have crossed swords before on other tyre threads and I note with some
satisfaction that you failed to reply to my final posts.

Sorry, didn't see your previous post that I "didn't reply to" - I'll do a search for it - put your satisfaction on hold for a moment.

Just trying to point out the facts. Some VW's have come from the factory over the last few years fitted with Kumho's - I know that because I've seen 'em with my own eyes. I guess VW must think they are OK and that would also make them OEM.

First Vredestein tyres I ever saw were on a brand new VW Sciroco in about 1982 and VW have been using them on and off ever since. That makes them OEM in my book.
I'm not intending 'crossing swords' with anyone, I just like people to have the facts. I have no axe to grind for any tyre manufacturer and have never actually owned a car fitted with either Vredestein or Kumho (my current cars are fitted with Goodyear (x2) and 1 with Conti). Recently drove a car fitted with Kumho ECSTA 712 and thought they were great - what I am supposed to say? That they weren't? You seem to take it all rather personally.
I don't consider myself a tyre expert and I am not overly interested in them (all but the very cheapest brands seem to do a pretty good job these days), I just speak as I find and am not trying to 'promote budget tyres'. Presenting useful and accurate information is always helpful, just mouthing off is not.

Golf tyres, which ones? - Dynamic Dave
Presenting useful and accurate information is always helpful, just mouthing off is not.

Quite! And on that note, I think it's time to cool things down a little.

DD.
Golf tyres, which ones? - quizman
I was amazed to see that a friend's brand new VW van had got Hankock tyres fitted. There is no way that I would have cheapo tyres on a new vehicle, and if I bought a used car with cheapo tyres, I would change them.

I have never had Vredestein tyres on a car, but have them on two grain trailors, and they seem OK.
After searching the internet for a week and ringing around lots of tyre dealers, this was the cheapest in my local area. I found them for £5 a tyre cheaper in Manchester.
After searching the internet for a week and ringing around lots
of tyre dealers, this was the cheapest in my local area.
I found them for £5 a tyre cheaper in Manchester.

Then you got a good deal. Price competition varies greatly in different areas of the UK. The heaviest discounting tends to happen in large cities where there are more outlets and more customers to chase.