Vauxhall astra temperature problem - crol
I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 2001. The current problem is with the temperature gauge. It flucates between the 90 mark and 80. This is more noticeable when driving around town. On the motorway the change is not as great. I have checked the coolant and I am not getting any oil in it and it does not seem to be losing any. It also never overheats. Any ideas.

Thanks

Crol
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - colabora
Hi Crol,
My daughter had a similar problem with her 2001 1.8 Astra.Gauge operating at 90 degc for 12 months and then going walk-abouts.Lookers replaced temp. sensor under warranty and gauge has since operated between 85-90 deg c,which according to Lookers is correct.They also suggested she reads her handbook which says there will be some variation in gauge reading.It just proves that this was not part of their 121 Network Q pre-delivery check.I would suggest yours may have been the same as hers.
Hope this helps you.
Kind Regards.
Colabora.
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - Civic8
If the radiator fan switch kicks in at about 90.Nothing to worry about.But if it goes above without cooling down thats the time to worry..Sounds normal to me!
--
Steve
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - Altea Ego
nothing wrong with it
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - Dynamic Dave
It flucates between the 90 mark and 80. This is more noticeable when driving around town.

As others have said - nothing to worry about. It sounds like the engine during normal operation runs at 80°c. In town you're not getting the same amount of air flow through the radiator as if you were driving at speed, so up goes the temperature to 90°c. At this point the fan kicks in and cools it back down to 80°c again. Fan goes off, temp goes back up - and so on, etc, etc.
Thanks for all the replies. Just to explain a bit better: I drove to work today on the motorway at 70mph and the temp was at normal about 89, every couple of minutes this would drop down to about 86 and then back up again to normal. When I came off the motorway this would then drop down to 82 then back up to the normal 89, again this would fluctate. Of what I have read so far it does sound like a sensor or could it be worse? I would have thought if it was major it would be overheating? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

crol
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - Peter D
This time of the year with the cooler or even cold weather the engine is probably being overcooled and due to the thermal mass of the block the temp will fluctuate. My golf throughout the spring/summer has a rock steady temp, but in late autumn/winter if fluctuates with the conditions unless I put my lower radiator blind in which covers the bottom 10cm of the radiator and the temp returns to its stable state. In other words I do not think you have a problem. Regards Peter
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - Altea Ego
You really think that a 7c fluctuation is a problem?

There is nothing wrong with it.
Vauxhall astra temperature problem - Victorbox
My 1989 Cavalier gauge has done this since new. As has been said the thermal changes caused by the different cooling around the engine block at this time of the year probably make it more noticable. Such a small fluctuation is nothing to worry about.
I have never experienced this problem with any of my other cars (well not that I noticed) and thought I'd ask the question. Thank you all for your help