Vauxhall Belt tensioner/airbag light - MrsH
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 'V' reg Vauxhall Club estate back in October, it was a dream compared to our 1980 polo.

A few weeks back the light pinged up on the dash board which by looking in the manual states our ''belt tensioners or airbag systems'' may be faulty. It says in the manual to get this checked by a Vauxhall garage, but then it would say that wouldn;t it.

Any reason why this light would just pop up and can it be fixed ourselves, my dad would be able to do it with some guidance.

Any clues?

Many Thanks
Vauxhall Belt tensioner/airbag light - Adam {P}
Is the car an Astra?

What can sometimes happen on Fords (don't know if Vx's do it) is underneath the seat, there is a wiring harness which, in the day to day moving back and forth, and become disconnected thus causing the light. This is solved by reconnecting it.

However, if it isn't this, I'd be inclined to take it to, if not a Vauxhall garage, one which has the equipment to read any fault codes which have been logged in the car.

Never owned a Vauxhall so someone else is more than likely going to have something of more use to you than me.

Good luck
--
Adam
Vauxhall Belt tensioner/airbag light - Dynamic Dave
As Adski says, it's *probably* the belt tensioner wiring under the seat that's triggered the fault.

However, even if you fix the fault, the light will still show. You need someone with a Tech2 reader to reset the light. A lot of independant garages will have one, without the need to specifically use Vauxhall dealers. The Tech2 reader will also indicate what the fault is.
Vauxhall Belt tensioner/airbag light - MrsH
OK thank you very much for the replies. The tech2 thing should get me on my way. Should this be a costly matter? these garages always see women coming!
Vauxhall Belt tensioner/airbag light - lisahud82
Hi,

I have a Renault Clio which had the same problem.
Definately try the wires under the seat. Its dead simple!
They simply become loose and need plonking back in.

Good luck, Lisa
Vauxhall Belt tensioner/airbag light - scotty
I recently had my Omega checked on a Tech II and had the steering assist adjusted. Cost about £25 at Vx dealership. Last time I had this warning light up on a Vectra, the problem was a failed ECU which was quite expensive to replace(can't recall exact price but I think it was > £100). Hope yours is just the wiring under the seat because I know that can be the cause. Don't store stuff under the front seats - that's the advice from Vx.