The New MX-5 - vt
The MX-5 Mk. 3 is to be unveiled at Geneva in March, but will be sold in the UK at the end of summer. Will values of the outgoing model drop significantly from March? Or will increased summer demand keep residuals firm? I don't know whether to buy now or wait until March.

Thanks.
The New MX-5 - Orville
The MX-5 Mk. 3 is to be unveiled at Geneva in
March, but will be sold in the UK at the end
of summer. Will values of the outgoing model drop significantly from
March? Or will increased summer demand keep residuals firm? I don't
know whether to buy now or wait until March.
Thanks.

Well, I just bought a convertible last week and got a real bargain...

I would buy now unless you've got lots of money - in demand new models are always scarce and at a premium, and all those extra options add up. In my opinion the current MX5 with the 1.8 engine and a few good options is looking quite pricey against a good used example - but check out the savings available from various suppliers in the Week's Best Deals link.

If you do buy now don't accept anything other than a very cheap price - I got an immaculate UK RHD Audi TT Roadster (225) with full warranty, fsh, year's tax etc, slightly higher miles for just over 14,000 GBP!

HTH

O
The New MX-5 - Orville
I got an immaculate UK RHD Audi
TT Roadster (225) with full warranty, fsh, year's tax etc, slightly
higher miles for just over 14,000 GBP!
HTH
O

Forgot to add, this was from an Audi dealer!

O
The New MX-5 - mjm
Son and heir bought a 1998 (march I think) a few weeks a go. Myself, him and a friend in the trade looked for one for several weeks(months?) at auction, via the trade and the 'net. Prices seem to be very stable. Friends "trade" guide showed an increase in value of different models over this time. Son bought an immaculate example, private sale, 1.6 with 30000 on the clock, fsh etc for a price over private but under forecourt. It has the fixed headlights, what exact mark I don't know. From our experience a good one will hold its value but they don't lose much anyway.At least buying a used one will avoid the big drop in value. HJ's used appraisal raises no don't touch with a barge pole advice. The car? reminiscent of mt old '60's Elan to drive, ie fun. The build and finish is superb, and general quality very good. Problems? I can't get hold of the keys often enough!
The New MX-5 - Vansboy
Do you want an Mx5 or, possibly, the mistake, Mazda are about to make - in the eyes of TRUE followers?

You'll have a very desirable sports car, whichever wasy you go, no doubt, but the NEW one, won't have that '5 thing' about it!!

As for TRUE prices....

04 Sport, 4k, black, struggled for several weeks, getting bids around £10,400.

02 52 Sport, 12k, green, only had minimal interest last week £8,000. That WILL be a bargain, if it comes at that money!!

Both in Enfield BCA.

Also quite a few year & under, no alloys, examples have been showing up from lease fleets, over last couple weeks. Not sure what the story is there, but there was a boatload delayed, causing a hic-up in the supply chain a year or so back.

VB

The New MX-5 - vt
It's actually a used MX-5 I'm buying. I just wonder if used 5s will be any cheaper once they've been superceded by the new model in March. A member of the MX-5 Owners Club believes the value of used 5s will take a big hit when Mazda show off the new model.
The New MX-5 - Vansboy
Then it depends how 'used' you want to go.

The prices won't hurt 2-3 yr old stock, or certainly anything older.

Obviously buyers would need a VERY good deal, on run out models. & wouldn't expect initally any discounts, on the new car.

If you've got the £$£$£ ready, get it out now!!!

VB