Citroen ZX 1.4i (petrol) running hot - Amateur Spanner
Hi, can anyone give me some advice ahead of my weekly battle with my car. I have changed the therm. switch, therm valve, coolant fluid on my citroen and still it overheats. I have even gone to the lengths of using an easi-bleed system to get airlocks out of the system. I have bridged the switch on the electric fan and it works - what am i doing wrong??
Citroen ZX 1.4i (petrol) running hot - John24
Does the overheating happen when car is moving? Is your radiator blocked? Does your heater work OK? Does the fan cut in when the car is stationary? More info. needed.
The overheating occurs whilst in heavy traffic i.e motorway jams. Not sure how to test if the rad is blocked. Heater works fine. Fan does not cut in (ever) but works when I bridge the switch on the thermo switch. (I have put a new thermo swith in as well - to make sure that is not the problem). thanks
If overheating only occurs when car is stationary, radiator appears OK and if fan runs when circuit is bridged, fan seems OK. Problem appears to be in circuit which controls fan and electrical circuit needs checking. You obviously have a broken circuit somewhere. Trust this helps.
therefore I should change the fuse and wiring? thanks
Trust you mean 'check' the wire and fuse:o). If you haven't got a meter or test lamp, a couple of pieces of wire soldered to an old bulb and holder will do.
Thanks John and Steve,

You guys were right. Auto electrics guy came round last night. Removed the original switch (which he said was not up to the job!!) replaced it with some crimped connectors and hey presto. Tested with a thermometer twice and it kicks in at the right temperature. Consider yourself heroes!

Happy was able to point you in the right direction and appreciate your coming back with details. Someone else was recently commenting on how topics just peter out. Nice to get some feedback - especially good news.
Citroen ZX 1.4i (petrol) running hot - Civic8
As John said..Happy to help:)
--
Steve
Citroen ZX 1.4i (petrol) running hot - Civic8
If your fan is not working. that is the problem..faulty fan switch. Even new one being faulty is not uncommon..Try getting new one replaced. From what you have said. that is the problem
--
Steve