Later built cars - Vincentus
I wonder why people buy very, very new cars that have just been introduced to the market. Then they whine about how bad they are (the early ones) and say: "No doubt these will improve on later built cars.". You know what I'm talking about - all those annoying niggles etc. as seen on Top Gear's Duffers (they changed it to "Lifers" have you noticed ???).

Question is: why not buy a facelift model ? Why is everyone in such a rush to get the newest one ?
Later built cars - BazzaBear {P}
Surely it makes more sense to buy the original model, just before the facelift?
The facelift is likely to have new parts, so suffer from the exact same 'first build syndrome'.
Of course, then you have to deal with the extra depreciation because it's just been replaced.

Answer = buy second hand :)
Later built cars - machika
Yes, but pre-facelift model will surely be cheaper to buy anyway, thus reducing the overall depreciation, otherwise don't bother buying new, buy nearly new. If a dealer has old stock when a new version is released, nobody with any sense is going to pay rrp for an old model, and the dealers know this.
Later built cars - Schnitzel
But if nobody bought new cars, there would be NO cars!
Apparently the new Astra has remarkably few (if any) new-car niggles, at least that's what I'm told.
Later built cars - Altea Ego
Also - People know when a model is about to be replaced. Hence sales of the old could slump badly. SO manufacturers come up with loading the old models with goodies, extras and higher spec for the same price. Mostly the spec of the outgoing model is higher than the spec of the new incoming model.

Later built cars - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I agree. My mother bought a N reg Pug 205 Diesel, one of the last to be built, when the 206 was out and about. It was loaded with extras including power steering and a nice stereo. Lots of car for little cash, as the dealer was desperate to get rid. She admits it was the best car she ever had. I liked it too, especially as my size 10 feet fit on the pedals, something which they do not in the 206!
Later built cars - Stuartli
But if nobody bought new cars, there would be NO cars!>>

About 70 per cent of new cars are purchased by businesses, rental, leasing and similar organisations at massive discounts.

That's why so many nearly new cars are such a good buy and why the original owners suffer minimum depreciation, if at all, when disposing of them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Later built cars - P 2501
Yes the very late pug 205s are often relatively well equipped and at the time offered great value for money.

Quite rare to see these N regs now though, i think the 205 had fallen out of favour slightly by 1996.

Still a great car IMO.
Later built cars - machika
About 70 per cent of new cars are purchased by businesses,
rental, leasing and similar organisations at massive discounts.
That's why so many nearly new cars are such a good
buy and why the original owners suffer minimum depreciation, if at
all, when disposing of them.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by

You have hit the nail firmly on the head.

There will always be some private buyers that will buy new for the kudos of having a new car. If it matters to them, so be it.

I would never buy new again. Nearly new, yes.