No heating in rover 216 - korky
hi,
ive got a problem with my heater in my 216 sli (n reg)
had the car about a month now and it was running perfectly,
but just over a week ago it went on its 1st motorway trip,
after about an hour i noticed i couldn't get any heat from the blowers,
i got off the motorway for 30 mins then it started working again,
however over the last week, i very rarely get heat out of the car,
the temperature guage is showing normal and the car runs fine,
is it just a new thermostat needed or could it be more serious?

thanks, korky
No heating in rover 216 - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

If the temp is normal throughout the operating range (Driving etc) then it may be the heater control valve. this opens and closes according to what you have se the heat control to.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
No heating in rover 216 - Kevin
My first guess would be that the heater matrix is blocked. To check if this is the case, open the hood and find the inlet and return hoses going through the bulkhead to the heater matrix. Turn the heater control to full heat and then start the engine. As the engine warms up you should feel both the inlet and return hose getting warmer. If they are noticeably cooler near the matrix or the return hose is very slow to warm up it is probably blocked. If so, you'll need to disconnect the matrix hoses and reverse flush with a hosepipe.

Two other possibilities:

Some systems have a control valve in the inlet hose to regulate water flow through the matrix, if the Rover has this then you'll need to check that.

Some systems have a 'mixer box' that regulates the air temperature by mixing heated air from the matrix with incoming cold air. If the mixer box flap is stuck in the cold position you won't get any heat.

Kevin...
No heating in rover 216 - Civic8
Would think the valve to heater is the problem..Its mounted on a bracket from bulkhead..They tend to sieze up.replacement only option..forget the price. but DIY cheaper
--
Steve
im not sure if there are blockages in the heater matrix because the heater does work fine occasionally,it can be nice and warm 1 minute then it'll just start blowing cool air out,
my concern is that reading some other posts of people who had similar problems resulted in the head gasket going due to the cooling system,
been told to flush it out and put new coolant in an bleed it up well
No heating in rover 216 - Civic8
Do you mean. it cools down while driving.When you sit in traffic/idle its warm?.If that is the case its thermostat.Though this wont account for temp guage reading normal unless faulty..would think unlikely a blockage as you do get heat..
--
Steve
No heating in rover 216 - Halmer
Daft question I know but is the water level OK to start with?
"Do you mean. it cools down while driving.When you sit in traffic/idle its warm?"

no,it will work occasionally when driving, not sat in traffic, but then it shuts off, as far as im aware, im sure the guage is fine too,
the water level is fine too, ive proberly checked it half a dozen times in the past week or so, as i say, i'll flush the system out and ive just ordered a new thermostat for it too