V5 logbook error - StuW
Do the dvla get it wrong with the v5 sometimes? Because I've noticed on the v5 of a car i'm buying the colour listed is different to the actual colour of the car. The car itself has been checked over by a mechanic i know and looks trustworthy and nothing on it appears to be tampered with, also the documents (mots and dealer service history) indicate the car is the right colour and the v5 is wrong. Has this ever happened to anyone else before?
V5 logbook error - No Do$h
DVLA often define a colour as blue when the manufacturer calls it Starfield Green or Offroad Purple or some such similar marketing prose. Common "problem". As long as the colour on your V5 matches the colour on the V5 for every other car finished with that paint, you have no problem.

Give the DVLA helpline a call with the manufacturer's name for the paint colour and ask them how they define it. You can also crosscheck using the paint code as noted on the VIN plate or colour plate (not always the same thing... on the Alfa it's hidden away on the tailgate).
V5 logbook error - StuW
Thanks but the colours are completely different the actual car is green but the v5 says red. I think(hope) its just an admin error as everything else seems to check out but i just want to make sure!
V5 logbook error - PhilW
"colours are completely different "
Same with mine. The car is "Sahara Gold" but the V5 says "beige". Cheek!
V5 logbook error - SlidingPillar
I'm not too sure how limited the DVLC palette is, but the colours they use are as an earlier poster said, are rather limited.

But, if they have got it wrong, and I've personal experience of them getting other details wrong - enter the correction and send the book back. You might want add a note saying it is a corection not a change, do take a photocopy as they sometimes take ages, and do be prepared to do it more than once. I think I sent one of mine back three times, but they did get it right in the end.

Another car - I have two modern pattern V5s for, but that is another story entirely (no fraud by me).
V5 logbook error - martint123
Yup, salesman. I once had a car with the wrong reg nr etched on the windows - cost 'em a few bob to fix that one as the reg was a different model and they couldn't switch glass.

Martin
V5 logbook error - blue_haddock
Yep DVLA do have a limited colour chart - Graphite Grey and Igneous grey in the toyota colour range both get classed as silver
V5 logbook error - patently
I used to have a Morea Green BMW. Lovely colour, but....

"yours the blue one?"

"No, it's green"

"That's never green - that's light blue"

"No, it's green"

etc etc etc......

V5 logbook error - blue_haddock
sounds like peugeot blaze yellow - actually a gold/orange sort of colour
V5 logbook error - Simon
Yeah they do get it wrong, I once bought a brand spanking new motorbike which was an Aprilia, when I received the log book it was listed as a Lambretta. Figure that one out?
V5 logbook error - Dwight Van Driver
The below is from Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 that has just gone through Parliament and as far as I am aware awaiting Commencement Orders.

So if they make the mistake, you find out and don't do anything about it your up for a 1000 note fine?

43C
Offence of using an incorrectly registered vehicle

(1)
A person is guilty of an offence if, on a public road or in a public place,

he uses a vehicle which is required to be registered and in respect of

which?

(a)
the name and address of the keeper are not recorded in the
register, or

(b)
any of the particulars recorded in the register are incorrect.

(2)
It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1)

to show (as the case may be)?

(a)
that there was no reasonable opportunity, before the material
time, to furnish the name and address of the keeper of the
vehicle, or

(b)
that there was no reasonable opportunity, before the material
time, to furnish particulars correcting the incorrect particulars.

DVD
V5 logbook error - CJay{P}
Hi

I had this problem with a car I bought recently. The v5 said green when the car was blue.

When sending off the change of ownership details to the DVLA, send a small note explaining the
discrepancy.

The new v5 with my name had the correct colour of the car. Also, it didn't take any longer than the usual to effect the change. Incidentally, I now find the the turn around time of v5s at DVLA is under two weeks.
V5 logbook error - patently
DVD - Ah, so it'll be our fault if DVLA make an error. I thought it would be...!
V5 logbook error - mare
Yes they do get it wrong. My Father in Law's Rover 416 was registered as a 218 (never heard of one of those) for about two years until he noticed.

They got the colour right though.
V5 logbook error - BrianW
I have two identical motorbikes.
One logbook gives the engine capacity as 233cc, the other as 250cc.
Says 233 on the crankcases!