A danger with low profile tyres - henry k
Especially with ultra low profile tyres.
It is very difficult, by using the normal visual check, to spot a tyre that has started to loose pressure.

1.With more and more vehicles equipped with such tyres should remote tyre pressure monitors adopted as a standard fitment?
2.IIRC some Renaults have them but are they reliable?.
3.Are any clever enough to cope with one adjusting pressures to suit load and speed?
4.What other considerations are involved?

I was reading a fatal RTA report where a slow puncture, due to a screw, in an almost new tyre was cited as the reason for loss of control of the vehicle.
Having recently acquired a Mondeo with low profile tyres I am certainly much more conscious that a visual check leaves me uncertain so I use the pressure gauge much more often.
5. The only product I am aware of has the indicators that fit on the valves but are they worth fitting?
A danger with low profile tyres - Robin Reliant
I have been looking at the valve cap indicators lately, and I am going to order two for the bike. I tend to be very slack with checking tyre pressures, going by a visual check rather than putting the gauge on them. The handling on the bike has felt off for a while, and I thought the shocks were on the way out. Giving the tyre pressures a check the weekend revealed 19psi on both, when the recommended pressure is 36psi! No excuses apart from disgraceful neglect on my part, but it shook me a bit and pumping up to the proper pressures transformed the machine. Visualy it was impossible to tell that the tyres were nearly 50% under, and even with ordinary non low pro tyres on a car they can deflate quite a long way before it becomes noticable.

The site below might be of interest.

www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/
A danger with low profile tyres - Stuartli
Of even more interest will be:

www.netparts.co.uk

which sells the valve caps pressure indicators at half the price of your website and, what's more, they are the variable type (20 to 42psi) rather than the fixed figure; you can therefore use them again when you change your vehicle.

I ordered a pack of four of the pressure indicators yesterday as a Christmas present for one of the offspring - total cost including delivery was just £10.84.

PS

It is impossible to check tyre pressures visually.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
A danger with low profile tyres - tr7v8
Not overly sure of Tyre pressure indicators. Most rely on an O Ring to seal the indicator and aren't failsafe. If the O Ring goes then tyre will deflate rapidly. Not sure if I'm paranoid or its my Aircraft training showing through......

Jim
A danger with low profile tyres - blank
I have been using the Pressure Guard caps for a while and I have found them very good. They set themselves to the pressure when fitted, rather than being designed to indicate deviation from a standard pressure.
They are quite a bit longer than a standard cap, so they stick out a bit, but I don't mind the appearance really. As they themselves point out, they are still only useful if you check them!
A danger with low profile tyres - cheddar
Having recently acquired a Mondeo with low profile tyres I am
certainly much more conscious that a visual check leaves me uncertain

Which Mondeo, mine has 205/50/17's, can still detect visually when they are a bit low.
A danger with low profile tyres - doctorchris
I suspect that the indicators that fit the valve would remain in place for about 5 minutes if you have the sort of thieving pink fluffy dice we have round here!
A danger with low profile tyres - Aprilia
The problem with very low profile tyres is that they hold a smaller volume of air than the higher profile types. In consequence a small air loss causes a proportionally larger drop in pressure than it would in a higher profile tyre. I also agree that because the sidewall is stiffer and shallower it is less easy to notice a small pressure drop - the sidewall doesn't 'bulge' as much.

As regards the Renault electronic tyre pressure indicators - well, the words 'Renault' and 'electronic', when put together, usually spell trouble!
A danger with low profile tyres - machika
We have low pressure warning indicators on our C5 and, whilst they will warn of very low pressure, they will not indicate a significant drop, which would be enough to affect the handling of the car.
A danger with low profile tyres - Mapmaker
>>they will not indicate a significant drop, which would be enough to affect the handling of the car

So, what is a significant drop? On my car, provided I only have 3 people in the car, the rear tyres run at 28psi.

The moment one of them buys a ham sandwich & puts it on board, I have 3 passengers + luggage, so the handbook requires 42psi.

When he's eaten the ham sandwich, I have to let them down to 28psi again. :0

I think you can get too hung up on exact tyre pressures. (Like the recent debate on the accuracy of garage forecourt machines & the effect of having driven a mile to the garage to top up.)

A danger with low profile tyres - machika
A significant drop would be one that causes a marked deterioration in a car's handling, I would suggest. This might vary from car to car, I suppose, but in the C5 it is very noticeable if the pressure in the front tyres is below 30psi. They should be at 36psi. A significant drop will also cause uneven tyre wear, of course, and increased rolling resistance.
A danger with low profile tyres - THe Growler
>>>>>I suspect that the indicators that fit the valve would remain in place for about 5 minutes if you have the sort of thieving pink fluffy dice we have round here!

Absolutely! What's the point of the things?

Pressure gauge in the glovebox for the cars (once per month) and similar inside pocket of riding jacket for the bikes (especially the bikes -- handling can be drastically affected by wrong pressures) -- before every ride. Aged but reliable foot pump to hand.

Who on earth needs a fancy gadget? Pure laziness.

A danger with low profile tyres - zarqon
On the subject of tyres I check mine about once a fortnight and inevitably the fronts are both down, from the required 31psi to around 19/20 psi. As stated earlier they don’t look particularly low. Any ideas what’s causing this?

(2000 “X” Mondeo Zetec)

MPZ
A danger with low profile tyres - blank
Zargon:

In your position I would (have) visit a tyre fitter and ask them to re-seal the tyres onto the wheels, after checking for punctures or leaking valves.

Andy
A danger with low profile tyres - Stuartli
after checking for punctures or leaking valves.>>

Especially as such lower pressures will increase the effects of understeer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
A danger with low profile tyres - AlanGowdy
I have developed a habit of doing a quick walk-round and pressing the tyre sidewalls with my thumb (stop laughing!). It's entirely unscientific but does reveal any significant pressure drop. On two or three occasions this has alerted me to slow punctures which otherwise might have let me down out on the road.
A danger with low profile tyres - VTiredeyes
swmbo was complaining of a strange feeling while driving.
(the car, not her !)
if the scoobie is not set at 33 at the front and 28 at the rear, it does feel rather weird.
even a 2psi deviance sends strange feedback to the wheel, and she drives the same way to work every day !