Mondeo goes clunk - MichaelR
This started happening as of 19:15 today when I drove into town to drop somebody off. It was fine earlier today.

Basically, when I pull away from stationary or near stationary, I get a strange 'clunk' noise. I cannot be sure whether I can feel it in the car or not. It's difficult to describe what it sounds like It doesn't sound like a metallic clunking, if that helps..

It only happens I pull away from very low speed - ie, from standstill in 1st, or from low speed in 2nd pulling away from a speed ramp.
I've got a 450 mile round trip in the car at the weekend and no time to get it sorted before then, what can I do?

Car is a 1999 2.0 16v Mondeo.
Mondeo goes cluunk - Manatee
Had an orion that did something similar once. Not a subtle noise at all, absolutely unmistakable. Took it to a main dealer who returned the car and asked me to book it in again as they hadn't been able to test drive it "because it was raining"(!).

I took it to my brother (more talented than I in mechanical things)who popped the bonnet, leaned on the engine and diagnosed a broken engine mount (correctly). I hope you are as lucky.
Mondeo goes cluunk - MichaelR
Are these expensive to fix and how urgent is it that it gets fixed? Like I said I have to go away in the car at the weekend.

FWIW, on the advice of a friend, I tried it in reverse and there is no noise..
Mondeo goes cluunk - Wales Forester
If the clunk happens just as the clutch bites then it may be the exhaust 'O' ring, which is up near the manifold I believe. I had similar symptoms a few years ago on a MK1 M reg and it turned out to be this. Cheap job if i remember rightly.

PP
That sounds encouraging. If it is this, what is happening when it goes clunk? What I need to know really is if I can get this fixed after the weekend and thus, after my trip to Swansea.

Somebody else has suggested a 'Rear torque restrictor' which is apparently a big rubber bush under the gearbox.

Is there anything I can poke about with under the car to have a look? What am I looking for?
Well when I bought a 1995 M plate Mondeo (secondhand in 1997) it was making a distinct clunk as the clutch reached its biting point. I took the car straight back and they said immediately that it would be this 'O' ring. I'm no mechanic, but I believe it fits somewhere around where the manifold and exhaust meet. It lets the exhaust touch something else I was led to believe which is what you hear. It was a ten minute job for them to change and I wasn't charged but was told it wouldn't have cost much anyway.

Could be a few different things by the sounds of it.

I had other clunks on my 2000 X reg when I bought it which turned out to be CV joints, driveshafts and link arms but the clunks from those were pretty constant, not just on setting off.

PP
On the advice of a friend, I just had somebody look at the engine whilst I 'tried' to drive away with the handbrake on full. The engine was moving significantly despite the car being stationary, which apparently means its one of the engine mounts?
That would be an indication of a broken engine mount yes. There should be a small amount of movement though.

PP
Mondeo goes cluunk - greaser pv
Michael , don't rule out the rear brakes esp. if it has drums/shoes . I've repaired 3 cars this week each of which had an initial clonk when pulling away . A brake cyl . had leaked fluid onto the shoes creating a sticky paste which acts as a glue and sticks the shoe to the drum , it also renders the braking efficiency worthless on that side at least .
Mondeo goes clunk - Cabsusa
Get a decent low mileage Sierra - they are much more reliable.

I do agree they are hard to find these days, but I never regretted turning my nose up at a succession of Mondeos which I thought "ought" to be the "Bee`s Knees".

After 230,000 miles, I have to admit, it cannot go on for ever, and a 13 year old cheapo car has no cred (which I do not mind). But I am worried about getting a Mk 3 Mondeo, which is the obvious choice. The reliability aspect is all important.

Good luck,

AS
Mondeo goes clunk - NARU
Get a decent low mileage Sierra - they are much more
reliable.

So they should be, considering that most of the running gear started in the Mk3 Cortina!

I keep reading about the suspect reliability of the Mondeo, but both of mine have been fine (a 1996 Mk1 and a 2004 mk3). I'm sure there are some bad ones out there, but there were a lot of cars sold so you'd expect to hear of some problems. My BMW 330d by comparison had a number of unscheduled repairs right from the off. I've owned a few other cars in between too, including a Subaru, a Peugeot 406 v6, a Saab 9-5 Aero and a Vauxhall Vectra. The only other one which needed no repairs was the Subaru.
Mondeo goes clunk - Cabsusa
Agree about Subaru - my 99 Legacy Estate had been very good. But not as nice to drive as the Ford 4x4 and terrible ergonomics.

Nice to hear your Mondeos have been good too; as you imply, several swallows don`t necessarily make a summer.

AS