Vauxhall steering wheel click/creak - Shep
I run a 1999 (facelift) Vectra 2.0 petrol with 120k miles on the clock.

Does anyone know what might be causing an annoying click or creak when the steering wheel is turned ??.

The click happens when the steering wheel is in a particular position and the click is heard then the wheel goes through this point and also when it returns.

I can easily find this point in the wheel turn and by gripping the steering wheel firmly and "jiggling" the wheel about this point, can faithfully re-create this click or creak !!

I'm certain the click is coming from the Steering wheel end and the only thing I can think of is a worn or dry bearing at the top of the steering column.

Anyone have a similar experience or suggest anything ?

Kind regards,

Vauxhall steering wheel click/creak - prm
Shep, almost sure its the uj/knuckle on the column down by the pedals, common fault, replace with an astra one, theyr'e better for some reason.
Vauxhall steering wheel click/creak - Shep
Many thanks,

Clicks, clunks and creaks are often transmitted....'ll take a look

Kind regards,

Vauxhall steering wheel click/creak - mark
I will second the knuckle/uj theory, as I had something similiar on my 2.0 DTI when I had it.

I mentioned it at the main dealers when in for a service and a revised part was fitted FOC but no recall, only those that moaned got one. I also got a revised top engine mount the same way.

As always

Mark
Vauxhall steering wheel click/creak - cheddar
Had a '96 SRi Vectra, did this from new, also had a '98 V6, this had a modified column though the problem still occured on occasions, it was fixed by the dealer who greased and adjusted the sliding joint in the column, this is safety feature allowing the column to collapse in a severe accident, fitting an Astra coupling might jepourdise this feature.