Renewing Tax disk online! - martint123
I hadn't realised that you could do it until I saw mention of it elsewhere.

www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk

If an MOT is needed it has to be one of the new computerised ones though.

Martin
Renewing Tax disk online! - Citroënian {P}
Now that is very cool, nice work finding it!
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Renewing Tax disk online! - Robin Reliant
Brilliant link! My reminder for bike tax came through this morning, nothing on it about online renewing so your post was quite timely. MoT booked in next week so that takes care of the new style certificate. I will be using the internet to renew as traipsing down the post office with documents and cash then finding it's pension day has never been my favourite way of passing the time.
Renewing Tax disk online! - Pugugly {P}
Seems to be a pilot by invitation via the renewal reminder.
Thats only if your MOT station is one of the trial ones Tom, don't think the big rollout is due for a bit.

Martin
Renewing Tax disk online! - Robin Reliant
Aha! Probably scuppered in that case Martin. Small local bikeshop, so I would doubt it. Handy for the future though, maybe this will be the last time I need to join the five hour post office queue.
Renewing Tax disk online! - Imagos
great idea! but is it for Wales only?

Also previous thread on tax discs.. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18864&...f
Renewing Tax disk online! - Dwight Van Driver
Got a whiff of this some couple of months ago. I contacted DVLA as nothing mentioned on their comprehensive web site to be told not yet for general consumption until Insurance/Data base/Debit Card compatible.

DVD
Renewing Tax disk online! - jdc
Well I've just got my new tax disc on -line (north of Manchester).

Really simple. A real time-saving feature, far better than traipsing to the PO with various documents.

Need more things like this where use of the internet offers real value.
Renewing Tax disk online! - holly1
Sounds like a great idea, might check it out when mine is due for renewal in March. Nothing worse than the current system of queuing in our local post office for up to an hour, such a waste of time.
Renewing Tax disk online! - patently
Won't work for me.

It claims my car does not exist, which conflicts with the evidence of my garage.

:-(
Renewing Tax disk online! - misterp
I did mine a few weeks ago. As my car is only a year old there is no MOT validation issue . When I first tried to do it I was too early and the system did not come up with my vehicle details. My wife's reminder came today and it can only be done the conventional way as presumably the MOT was not done by a pilot garage.
Renewing Tax disk online! - Cliff Pope
Brilliant. The internet's only been going about 10 years, and already the government has thought of selling services over it. It might catch on - soon it might be possible to buy quite a wide range of things over the internet. There should be scope here for private enterprise too.
Renewing Tax disk online! - GrahamF1
Internet's been going ten years? Try twenty. :-)
Renewing Tax disk online! - Chris7
Remember, you can only use this V11 form from the 15th day of the month in which your existing licence/SORN expires, and this I believe applies to renewing online, which is probably the reason why cars appear not to exist.
Regards to all.
Remember, you can only use this V11 form from the 15th
day of the month in which your existing licence/SORN expires, and
this I believe applies to renewing online, which is probably the
reason why cars appear not to exist.
Regards to all.

Oh yes, I remember. Allowing people to renew when it suited them and immediately the reminder arrived would be far too helpful.

Best to make them wait a few days for the reminder to vanish amongst piles of junk mail, then fine them a month later.

Cynical,..., moi?
Seriously, I can sort of see a point in cutting off at the 15th in Post Offices - it means that they only need to hold one class of disk at any one time. But on the net? Oh really.
Wouldn't there be an MOT validity issue here if you could buy tax in advance? And if the government announced a tax increase there would be a rush to buy advance tax at the present rate.
Wouldn't there be an MOT validity issue here if you could buy tax in advance

No, just like now at a post office - the MOT has to be valid on the day the disk comes into force, not the date of application.

Martin
Today is the 15th and I have just renewed my Tax Disc online, it was quick, easy and painless, well apart from the £160 that is. At least the DVLA are moving forward, even if it is slowly.
Regards.
No, just like now at a post office - the MOT
has to be valid on the day the disk comes into
force, not the date of application.

Surely you can tax a car after the 15th to start on 1st of the next month, using the MOT current on the 15th?
And tax can be backdated to the start of a month even though MOT'd say on the 15th?
Surely you can tax a car after the 15th to start
on 1st of the next month, using the MOT current on
the 15th?

Nope, MOT has to be valid on the date the new disk starts. www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehlicnc.htm

When you apply for a vehicle licence you must produce a certificate that is current on the date the licence comes into force

Renewing Tax disk online! - BrianW
Renewed my daughter's RFL on Monday (13th December) as from 1st December at a main Post Office with an MOT done that day (she'd accidently let the old MOT run out).

So: the only alternative, if martint123 is correct, as I'm sure he is, would be to declare SORN for a month and renew it from 1/1/2005 and have the car off the road for a month?

That also legally compounds the problem as it would have meant that the if the vehicle had been used both untaxed and un-MOT'd in the first few days of the month that would surely have invalidated the insurance as well!
That's exactly my point, Brian. The rules may say the MOT must be valid on the first day of the tax, but your and everybody else's experience contradicts that statement. In your example, the MOT was only valid from the 13th, yet you were able to tax the car as from the 1st, when it had no MOT.
I suspect you renewed your daughters RFL from the date you renewed it - not from the 1st of the month. Its just like if you buy a car mid-month with no RFL - you just buy it there and then and effectively waste xx days of RFL.

So, yes, no tax and mot for the first 12 days of the month - not in itself something that would invalidate insurance although some insurance companies say it should have an MOT.

Martin
May be. But if you use the so-called "14 days grace" period to renew RFL a few days late, you then have established continuous tax in place back to the last day of the previous month.
Renewing Tax disk online! - Stuartli
>>But if you use the so-called "14 days grace" period to renew RFL a few days late>>

This is a myth. The 14 days' grace period was abolished some considerable time ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
This is a myth. The 14 days' grace period was abolished
some considerable time ago.

I know. But my point was, they take the money and issue a tax disk that runs from the first of the month.
and issue a tax disk that runs from the first of the month.>>

If you renew a licence midway through a particular month and it includes that month, you have to pay in full for it whether the vehicle was in use or not.

Re the licence renewal for when the car wasn't MOT'd, the licence issuer bases its renewal on MOT and insurance documents that are valid from that day or the following month onwards (if being obtained before the end of the final valid month).
VED Validity - Bromptonaut
May be same point Stuartli is making:-

If you buy the disc in advance (ie today to expire 31/12/05) it comes into force on 01/01/05 and you must show insurance and MOT valid at that date.

If you buy a disc today to expire 30/11/05 - if the PO is still stocking them - it comes into force today and MOT and insurance need only be valid from today.

May in latter case be offences of use without tax/Mot/insurance during December, though you would be extremely unlucky to be subject to proceedings for the tax alone.

If November expirys are not re-taxed or SORN'd by end December the automatic penalty kicks in.
>>Internet's been going ten years? Try twenty. :-)>>

Try even longer - much longer...:-)

But the Internet as most people know it i.e. the World Wide Web (www) goes back to the early 1990s after the concept was devised by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989.

The bills I pay online include telephone bills (BT and One-Tel + I'm able to print out statements), my TV licence renewal and the usual bank accounts' ingoings/outgoings.
Renewing Tax disk online! - AF
Very handy, but one less reason for Post Offices to exist.
If I made my clients wait 40 minutes in a queue to pay their bill then I suspect that my business would not exist for long.
>>If I made my clients wait 40 minutes in a queue to pay their bill >>

The Post Office, if I remember correctly, devised the single queue, multi-counter concept.

My town's main post office can have a queue the proverbial mile long, but the speed at which it moves ensures that any wait is rarely more than a few minutes.

Post Office staff have an incredible variety of services to provide for customers but, in my town at least, deliver them accurately and professionally.
The Post Office, if I remember correctly, devised the single
queue, multi-counter concept.

Shame they can't make it work more widely, then.

Post Offices local to me also have a queue a mile long. And a 40 minute wait. No, I am not joking - I looked at the queue and decided to time it.
Just to finish off neatly, following my earlier post to say that I ordered my disc online on the 15/12/04. It has now arrived safely and correctly this morning in the post 20/12/04, which taking all things into account including the Xmas post, I believe is pretty good.
Merry Xmas to All.
Chris7