Vectra spongy brakes - cockneycooky
Hi,

I have a new shape vectra, coming up to 2 years old with 45k. Both front and rear pads have been changed and now the brakes are very spongy with excess pedal travel. If the pedal is pumped the travel decreases and bites nearer the top of the pedal movement. Its as if there is air in the system.

The car has been into a vauxhall dealer twice who say this is a characteristic of the new vectra. They have checked the whole braking system (so they say) and have found no problems.

Before the pads were changed the brakes were absolutely fine, i would go as far to say they were excellent.

Does anybody know how changing the pads can cause this problem.

Thanks

Dave

Vectra spongy brakes - Schnitzel
Sounds like they let air into the system.
Maybe they released fluid from the bleed nipples in order to retract the calipers, and let air in, or they bled the brakes, and did a bad job. I would have the brake fluid changed elsewhere, and if it improves things, bill the original dealer.

Vectra spongy brakes - Dynamic Dave
The car has been into a vauxhall dealer twice who say
this is a characteristic of the new vectra.

It isn't a charateristic of my Vectra(c).

Did they fit genuine Vaux pads, or aftermarket? In theory there shouldn't be a difference, but then again there could be?

Vectra spongy brakes - Schnitzel
Good point, Vauxhall Masterfit offered me cheap 'approved' pads, but whispered that he wouldn't if it was his car.
They say all the fluids have been changed so the system is bled. Also genuine vauxhall pads.

Another thing is the pedal 'creeps' ie if you keep your foot pressed hard on the pedal it moves slowly to the floor.
Vectra spongy brakes - Dynamic Dave
Another thing is the pedal 'creeps' ie if you keep your
foot pressed hard on the pedal it moves slowly to the
floor.

Sounds like the seals in the master cylinder have had it. It's not the first time I've heard this happen to Vectras.

As it's only 2 years old, I would go back and inform them that this is happening (unless you already have done so?). Providing all the services are up to date, and have been done by a Vauxhall dealer, then the warranty will cover it.

Vectra spongy brakes - Civic8
If pedal goes down slowly. There must be either a leak. Or possibly seals in master cylinder leaking fluid back
--
Steve
There is no fluid loss. and the master cylinder has been checked(so they say).

Have driven another Vectra and that one did the same although not as bad as mine..

well confused with it all...especially as all was fine until the pads were changed..
Vectra spongy brakes - Civic8
It may be as was suggested before. though if pistons pushed back into caliper at an angle ie not straight. this often causes air to pass the seal. This can score the caliper bore as well which will make matters worse. Not saying that is whats happened.. As a trained tech wouldnt do it.
--
Steve
Vectra spongy brakes - kithmo
Take it to a garage that does MOT tests and ask them to perform a brake test. This may show a weaker braking action on the circuit with the air in, unless it is the master cylinder. Another possibility, although it doesn't explain the pumping action getting a higher pedal, is that the pads have not bedded in yet.
Vectra spongy brakes - Richard Gloucester
I had the same problem (1997 vectra, brake pedal slowly sinking + spongy brakes) After trying all the things below (under Warranty ), Vauxhall changed the ABS MODULE & the problem vanished.

Several full system bleeds at 2 different dealers, new aftermarket pads, new OE factory pads, new master cylinder, new brake servo, new calipers.