"High level" rear brake lights - PhilW
Was pootling along behind a MX5 on the way to work, thinking what a nice little car it was except for the bump in the boot lid which contains the high level brake light but also spoils (IMHO) the line of the boot. It then dawned on me that the "high level" light was only about 2 inches higher than the ordinary brake lights and wouldn't be any more visible than them in a queue of traffic. By now my brain was working at full efficiency so I wondered why it was there? Is it a legal requirement now? Should it be a certain height? If not, what's the point?
It was only when I got home this evening that I realised that on SWMBO's Xantia the light is also on the boot lid, albeit about 6 ins higher than the ordinary ones. Are they purely decorative in these cases? Any other examples?
"High level" rear brake lights - No Do$h
Although only a few inches higher, there is a much better chance of it being seen through the front/rear window of the car in front than the normal outboard brakelights.
"High level" rear brake lights - umistim
Not really answering your question but was following a Bentley Continental today, when it slowed at a roundabout I could not believe the array of brake light which extended across the entire top of the rear window. Much too much all together, I havn't noticed this before but then its not a car I have seen frequently. Is this normal?
"High level" rear brake lights - NickG
I believe that 3rd brake lights are now a legal requirement in America, but I don't think they are over here.

Also, IIRC, there was an American study that showed that they have virtually no impact on road safety at all! Mind you, I believe another study suggested that ABS brakes had no safety benefits either. Which rather goes against common sense, I think.

"Unsafe at any speed" anyone?
"High level" rear brake lights - john deacon
they are compulsory in new zealand, i think its just become the case that they are compulsory in so many places its cheaper to put them in for all markets, even where not compulsory
"High level" rear brake lights - SjB {P}
I recall that the reason MGBs and Midgets were eventually defaced not only with ugly rubber bumpers, but a raised ride height that completely ruined their 'deportment', was to get the bumpers raised *just* enough to meet the minimum height required for sale in the US. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the hump with the MX5/Miata centre light is indeed for the equivalent reason, as surmised.
"High level" rear brake lights - Happy Blue!
It was my understanding that centre brake lights were required in the US following a study involving almost all of the taxis in Washington DC.

This showed that rear end accidents caused by the vehicle two or more cars behind the first car in the queue was reduced significantly. However that was about 20 years ago and may not have been replicated elsewhere.

I too think that centre brakelights should be much higher than the top of the boot lid and are better probably at the base of the rear screen.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?