Merc E Class - tack
My Nephew wants to treat himself, having spent 6 years as a penniless medical student. He wants to buy a new Merc E Class diesel. He is keen on the 270Cdi, but at a pinch would get a 220Cdi. What are the chances of a good deal in the run up to Xmas?

(By the way, don't let new Doctors tell you how crap the pay and hours are! He is on £35K as a newbie. Hattie Jacques and James Robertson Justice would have a fit if they knew. And, how about this....he gets £50 a pop to sign a certificate for cremation)
Merc E Class - DavidHM
£29,198 for an E270 CDi Classic or £30,253 for an E220 Avantgarde as autos from www.broadspeed.com (Surely no one buys the manual?) That's only about £1,500 off - there's not a huge need to do more.

You can get some money off but Mercedes are basically build to order, more or less, so he's probably looking at early 05 plate delivery now anyway.

However I'm 26 and I really don't feel nearly old enough to spend that kind of money on a car like that. It's very sensible and if he needs to do 40k a year or needs a four door family car then fair enough, but assuming that he is unmarried and lives a reasonable distance from work then it seems an odd choice. Does he perhaps play a lot of golf?

(Yes I drive an equally sensible family car, a 406 diesel, but I paid under £2k for it and it does meet my needs. On that salary, unless the cremation certificates add up to serious wedge, it also seems a disproportionate amount to spend unless he has substantial financial resources behind him anyway.)
Merc E Class - tack
He drives 100 miles a day to work and back, all motorway bar about 4 miles. So, about 36,000 miles work mileage +whatever social/pleasure (now Doc's don't work until they drop, I guess he will have more time socially than he would have had on "Doctor at Large!)

I think he aims it to be a "keeper" so I think he wants to spend some dosh now, get it out of his system, plus he will have a reliable +comfortable high miler for work (he hopes)

In fact, just noticed that Merc Benz London are doing a £2k towards a new E Class +free engine upgrade, cars from stock. What's the catch? new model out next year or something
Merc E Class - Dalglish
What's the catch? new model out next year or something

>>

the catch is that the crowd that used to buy e-class mercs has now shifted its attention to porsche cayenne, bmw x5, volvo xc90, or other 4x4 cars.

a few older buyers have also gone for the jaguar s-type as a replacement for their 3 year old e-class.

on the other hand, brand new e-class has now become a common sight around my neck of the woods but only as a taxi.

Merc E Class - henry k
now Doc's don't work until they drop, I guess
he will have more time socially than he would have had
on "Doctor at Large!

That is not the experience in my household. As far as I am aware nothing has changed. The hours worked are as bad as ever.
Just do not believe the rubbish that is put out, about hours worked, by those in power. The figures are adjusted to fit!!!

In addition many new docs are applying for a new job EVERY six months. Imagine sending off CVs and attending interviews that frequently. Doctors CVs are not one page but ALL you have ever done in significant detail. Then change jobs maybe at the other end of the country within 24hours. I know when it is best not to be in hospital. It is at job change time!
Rant over.

I cannot comment on the Merc E class because I spent the money and a bit more on a medical student instead. Much better use of the money.

Merc E Class - henry k
how about this....he gets £50 a pop to sign a certificate for cremation.

>>
Or as it is known in the trade, Ash Cash, but be aware the tax man still wants his cut.