Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - Clanger
When I got my registration document back from the DVLA after transferring a personal plate onto it, I noticed the seating capacity of my Citroen C8 was given as 8. I think you can get a Peugeot 607 optionally rigged for 8 seats, but not the C8. So, last week I e-mailed csm.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk, quoted my reg. number and address pointed out the error and thought no more of it. I got an automated reply and then a reply saying that my query had been passed to another department. These I ignored, cynically believing that I was being fed some palliative rubbish.

Today, I opened my mail and was rewarded with a new registration document with the seating capacity amended to the correct number 7.

I was astounded and humbled. Has anyone else e-mailed the DVLA and got a result?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - SjB {P}
Yup!
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - Pugugly {P}
Remember to shred the old one !
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - tyre tread
We can shred the DVLA? - Sounds good to me! Can I press the button?
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - Stuartli
I've used e-mail to contact the DVLA about my next door neighbour on two or three occasions - he seemed to think that he was above taxing and insuring his three vehicles.

Not only did I receive an e-mail reply of thanks but the neighbour has done the right thing for nearly two years now.

In the past you used to have to fill in a form and sign it - so whoever you shopped knew who had complained as he/she was sent a copy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - henry k
In the past you used to have to fill in a
form and sign it - so whoever you shopped knew who
had complained as he/she was sent a copy.

>>
I would just be cautious sending an email if the name in your email address is too obvious. Maybe create an oddball named account for this task?
Re The Data protection Act. I suspect that for £10 or so you could ask for all info they have on you.
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - Dalglish
would just be cautious sending an email if the name in your
email address is too obvious.

you can do this anonymously.

use a freephone, or e-mail. You may also send the details by

e-mail to unlicensed.use@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

or telephone 0800 032 5202 .

see www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/unlicensed.htm

>>I would just be cautious sending an email if the name in your email address is too obvious>>

You've missed the point. I'm quite happy for the DVLA to know my name, but not the person(s) whom I'm reporting for not having a road fund licence - that used to be the case until quite recently with the introduction of the e-mail contact.
Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - madf
Use anonymous email address: gmail or hot mail - separate from main email address. Useful for all sorts of things:-)

madf

Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - Dynamic Dave

Not wishing to turn this into a computer related thread, but all this talk of using anonymous email addresses; your IP address is still sent, which in turn can be traced through your ISP. So maybe you're not quite so anonymous as you thought you were!!

Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - Dalglish
all this talk of using anonymous email addresses

all i meant was that the dvla link now says you can give them information anonymously - in contrast to their previous policy wherby you had to all but sign a "witness" statement.

now they allow you to remain anonymous if you so wish.

as to the computer secrecy aspects, i will give that can of worms a miss here since you have quite rightly reminded us that out this is not a computer thread.

Yes you can e-mail the DVLA - henry k
You've missed the point. I'm quite happy for the DVLA to
know my name, but not the person(s) whom I'm reporting for
not having a road fund licence -

I am not sure I missed the point.
If for example you are Fred Bloggs and you send an Email from your address, in the format Fredbloggs@xxxx, as is quite common, never mind what name you use in the text I would expect that Email to to saved with Fredbloggs as the sender.
When your neighbour sends £10 to the DVLA asking for all details on him, IIRC Subject Rights Access, They must supply that email.
I think your neighbour might just guess that it is not Fredbloggs who lives in Timbucktoo. Then what?

Hence to avoid this risk
>>Madf
>>Use anonymous email address: gmail or hot mail - separate from main email address.
Useful for all sorts of things:-)

Spot on.

>>now they allow you to remain anonymous if you so wish.
I do not think this is true see above.

Having worked in the data protection field, I have experienced upset people who have spent out many £10s to get the company data that refers to them. No contest we just had to supply it.

I hope this clarifies when anonymous is not what it seems.
It is so simple, for a small fee, to apply for all data that any company has about you and that company must supply it.
As the neighbour mentioned never pays anyone or any organisation for work done or services supplied (unless taken to court), as I keep stating I'm not bothered in the slightest about the DVLA knowing my name; the neighbour wouldn't have a clue, in any case, about finding out such information and certainly wouldn't part with a tenner...:-)

I'm perfectly well aware, as I've already stated, that my name will be known to the DVLA - it's quite clearly provided as part of my e-mail address (at least in the case of the one I use in this instance).

I'm also well aware of the means of discovering headers in e-mails etc.

I always give people who use Outlook Express strong advice to completely disable the Preview Pane in OE to avoid letting viruses and other nasties loose merely by clicking on an e-mail.

As a result, by right clicking on an e-mail and then Properties, you can read the header information and also the Message Source safely; any doubts, just keep clicking Cancel and then Delete the message by using the Delete button on the Toolbar whilst the message is still highlighted.

I've recently switched to Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail and Firefox browser and the greatly reduced requirement to constantly keep on top of security issues always, of course, to the fore with Microsoft's offerings.