Is there a new French headlight law? - Mapmaker
I am virtually certain that I read somewhere that from 1 October 2004 (or possibly 1 November 2004) that you are required to drive in France with head (side?) lights during daylight hours, during the winter.

I ask only because having been in France (open roads without cars - oh joy!) for the last 10 days, only about 10-20% of cars were driving with their lights on. Is this an example of the French ignoring a law that they disagree with, or a product of my over-indulgence in claret?

And whilst on the subject of foreign motoring, is it true that the E111 ceases to have effect from 1 January 2005, and is being replaced by something else? If so, does anybody have any more information?

Merci beaucoup.
Is there a new French headlight law? - henry k
Re E111 a google searc produced this well respected site.

www.masta.org/e111.html which says

Important changes to the E111
Travellers planning to visit countries in Europe during 2005 need to apply for the new E111, as the old ones are only valid until 31st December 2004.
What is the E111?

UK residents are entitled to free or reduced cost, state provided health care when visiting European Union (EU) countries. To obtain the cover, a valid E111 form is required, the new forms are avaialble free of charge at the post office.

What has changed?

The main difference between the old and the new form is that the new form is now issued on an individual, as opposed to a family, basis. However, you will only need to complete one application form in order to receive E111s for you, your spouse/partner and children. The new E111 form will be valid until 31st December 2005.

The second major change is that during the course of 2005 the UK will be adopting the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This will be automatically issued to those who apply for the new E111 form and tick the box to receive the new card.

The new E111 form and the booklet "Health Advice for Travellers" can be obtained from the Post Office or from the Department of Health Website .
which is
www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAdviceForTra...n
Is there a new French headlight law? - Bagpuss
By coincidence I was just reading Autobild (German car magazine) and they have a list of European countries where headlights are required by law during the day, France is not in the list:

Sweden, Norway, Lithuania, Iceland, Estonia, Denmark, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Latvia, Croatia, Slovenia.

Actually some of these countries only require it during the Winter (November to March).

I know there are other country specific requirements relating to daytime headlight use, e.g. I believe in Italy on the 150km/h Autostrada when driving in the outside lane and in France on the Autoroutes when it's raining.

By the way, it's good to be aware that many EU countries (I believe at least France, Italy, Spain, Portugal) now require you to carry dayglo vests to be worn in case you need to leave a broken down car. You need as many vests as occupants in the car and I've heard the fines for not conforming are quite high.
Is there a new French headlight law? - MickF
The E111 doesn't cease to have effect, rather a new credit card sized E111 comes into force.

Believe me, having had personal experience, no matter what travel insurance you may have, carry an E111 as this covers you for the first £x.xx amount of cover (I'm not sure of the current rates) your travel or motoring (RAC,AA, etc) insurance takes over from there.
Is there a new French headlight law? - machika
Regarding the requirements for lights, it is interesting to recall that as long ago as 1978, I was overtaken by a police car and ordered to stop, because (I subsequently discovered) I was driving without lights in light drizzle, on an otherwise quite bright morning. It was an almost brand new car, so I can't think of a good reason why I was stopped. It was in a 30 mph limit and I wasn't speeding or doing anything else wrong (as far as I know).

The young copper seemed to be in a bad mood for some reason but I often wonder what the legal standpoint would have been. He spouted the Highway Code at me and threatened to run me down to the station, if I didn't immediately put my lights on.
Is there a new French headlight law? - Stuartli
Re French headlights law, these links may help:

tinyurl.com/4kqe6

tinyurl.com/5vzoo

tinyurl.com/6keux
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Is there a new French headlight law? - SjB {P}
From driving in the Czech Republic, I also know that as well as driving with dipped beam during daylight hours, regardless of the actual weather you must have winter tyres fitted during the officially designated dates of winter, too.
Is there a new French headlight law? - ratty
IIRC head/running lights used during the day reduce injury/death due to crashes by about 15% - just more statistics but maybe worth doing anyway.
Is there a new French headlight law? - Bromptonaut
I've seen this in too many places (thanks for the linx stuartli) for it to be rumour. One of the regulars posted it as long ago as september having read it in La Voix du Nord.
Is there a new French headlight law? - PhilW
Thread is here
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=23...4

I'm also pretty sure I read about it in a French newspaper this summer. The last 2 years there have been signs in Les Landes (on those long, straight, forest bounded roads where sometimes it is difficult to see oncoming cars) that have told motorists to use headlights during the day. I thought I read that it had been a big success in reducing accidents in Les Landes and was therefore going to be introduced throughout France starting 1st Nov.
However, I can't find any reference to it on AA or RAC European driving advice sites. Will look elsewhere!
Is there a new French headlight law? - Stuartli
Will look elsewhere! >>

The links I provided earlier in the thread indicate that it is currently an experiment until early next year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Is there a new French headlight law? - eurocourier
It definitely has been implemented: they've been handing out leaflets about it at peage booths for the last few months. Not many complying with it. I do - why give them one more excuse to pull you?