Golf V ride quality - Simon R
Interesting that HJ mentions the poor ride quality of the Golf V in the new Focus road test.

I hadn't read this anywhere else (Autocar, Car, Whatcar) and I couldn't believe how bad it was when I recently tested a Golf GT TDi DSG. This wasn't a quick round the block trip, but a weekend in something I was keen to like. I checked the tyre pressures to make sure they weren't over inflated, but they were standard. Also, it was riding on 16'' wheels and not the more desirable 17''. Hate to think what the new GTI on 18 inchers will be like.

My conclusion was that I couldn't live with it - have a good drive in a Mk V Golf before you decide!
Golf V ride quality - dodo
Bought new Tdi S today and thought ride was fine. Going in to pay on Monday so will double check before handing over the readies. (£12995 new at VW dealer for January registration!) Looked at same model six months ago but was £2000 more)
Golf V ride quality - ro
The ride quality seems fine to me, exactly as described on the What Car site. But these things are a matter of taste and a test drive is doubtless always a good idea.

Golf V ride quality - Martin Sweeney
I think that HJ said that the ride was firm rather than poor, which is fair enough as what is firm and soft is all relative and subjective. Sports spec Audis are too firm for my liking and I couldn't do more than an hour in a sports spec BMW sports or Audi S-line without needing physio, yet work colleagues happily drive both.

I've driven the Golf and Touran tdi, SE spec I think, and thought that the ride and handling of both was really impressive, especially compared to the Mark IV. I threw them both down down A-roads and up motorways and thought the ride was smooth, solid and comfortable without any wallowing or rolling about; a lot of fun.
Golf V ride quality - nortones2
In the Mk V test HJ said: "The 1.9 TDI sits on sensible 195/65 R15 tyres, which absorb some road shock, but the ride quality is firm rather than compliant" In the Focus test he now seems to have a different view "It?s better overall than the very good new Astra and puts the hard-riding Golf Mk V to shame" Maybe HJ (whose tests I respect, FWIW) could try them back to back?
Golf V ride quality - Simon R
HJ said the new Focus put the 'hard-riding Golf Mk V to shame', but I agree ride quality is subjective. I couldn't live with it, despite the availability of the excellent DSG gearbox.

I had a Focus for 2 years and I drive my wifes Fiesta regularly and both are in a different league to the ride in Golf Mk V. The GT does have sports suspension which is lowered by 15mm, so perhaps this, and the choice of tyres (Michelins), had something to do with it.
Golf V ride quality - kenl
I think the ride quality in my mkV Golf with sports suspension is excellent. It has 15" alloy wheels with Goodyear NCT tyres.

My last car was a MINI though so the Golf is much more comfortable.

The handling is excellent too. Very sure footed.