51 plate vectra (old model) probs - nirana solutions
I have two and would appreciate any advise:

1. The battery warning light stays on permanantly. I assume this is the alternator ?

2. The abs warning light also stays on permanantly.

The main reson for this post is the following question...GIVEN THE PROBABLE NEED FOR COMPUTER BASED DIAGNOSTICS AM I RESTRICTED TO HAVING THE REMEDIAL WORK CARRIED OUT BY A MAIN DEALER ??? which will no doubt be v expensive :(
51 plate vectra (old model) probs - Victorbox
Unless it is registered September or October 2001 aren't you still in the 3 year warranty period?
I suppose a bit of common sense wouldnt on my part would have gone ammis...didnt even occur to me. You have just saved me over 100 smackeroonies.....bless u....from a MUPPET
51 plate vectra (old model) probs - Dynamic Dave
GIVEN THE PROBABLE NEED FOR COMPUTER BASED DIAGNOSTICS AM I
RESTRICTED TO HAVING THE REMEDIAL WORK CARRIED OUT BY A MAIN
DEALER ??? which will no doubt be v expensive :(

No need to SHOUT!!

Anyhow, providing whoever you take it to has a Tech2 reader, then they'll be able to plug into your ecu. However, there was no mention of your ecu light being on, so it maybe a case that it hasn't logged a fault.
51 plate vectra (old model) probs - Altea Ego
Its the alternator or the diode pack on the same.
The battery warning light will be cured by changing one or the other, and funny enough there is a 99% chance that the alternator is causing the ABS warning light as well. Get the alternator fixed and your ABS light will probably go out as well.
51 plate vectra (old model) probs - Aprilia
ABS shuts off when system voltage is lower. Could be worn brushes, defective voltage reg. or duff dioded pack. Get it to an autoelectrician (rather than main dealer) and they should do you a diagnosis - ask for a 'merit repair' (i.e. they fix your faulty alternator rather than supplying a recon one) this is usually the cheapest option.
Your spot on...diagnosed today by the main dealer (tx to previous help!!!) many thanks
correct diagnosis many tx