Car Still Going Wrong - Help - pantman
Hi people, Im hoping there is somebody out there that can help me and others when reading the posts.

I bought a 01 reg car from a large uk dealer only six months ago, since then it has been nothing but trouble (going wrong the first time within 24hrs of picking it up). To date it has been back to be repaired 4 times, and, its now gone wrong again! My wife carries our 2 children (2yrs / 6months) in the said car - so is loosing faith and wants to change it. The dealer dosent want to know and has offered us half what we payed for it. It goes without saying that I would like a full refund but DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IM ENTITLED TO EXACTLY.

Please help if you can
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Imagos
Ok take it one step at a time.. some more info will help

What is the make and model of your car?

What exactly is going wrong?

I'm not the best one for help but there are many posters in the backroom who'll be along shortly to offer some good advice.

CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - mfarrow
The fact that he's only willing to give you half what you paid for the car is a sure indication to me that he sees this car as a problem car he won't fix easily or get much back from selling on.

If the problems are all different then it's just coincidence and you may have to give him the benefit of the doubt. If however it's in for the same problem each time, and the problem can't be sorted, then I suspect you are entitled to a refund (item not fit for purpose intended, etc).
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - pantman
Renault Megane 1.4

1st time
(within 24hrs of pick-up)
Almost a system shutdown, basically ran rough and wouldnt go over 20mph. Dragged it to the dealer who fixed it

2nd time
Aircon not working correctly - back to dealer to be fixed

3rd time
Aircon not working correctly - back to dealer, then on to main Renault dealer who fixed the problem

4th time
When starting up from cold, engine runs fine, when you go to pull away the revs drop (sometimes causing a stall) then pick up again. This happens until engine hot - back to dealer to be fixed.

This time:
Remote locking sometimes unlocks when left, or sometimes dosent lock all doors or open all doors & still problem 4

NOT GOOD EH!

Any help appreciated.
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Stuartli
Ring up your local council's Trading Standards department - they will inform you exactly what rights, if any, you have.

Unfortunately the car showroom world has completely different values to the rest of the consumer market it would seem.

It may eventually, if you can't get any satisfaction and have given the dealer all the rope required to put the car right, a visit to the small claims court reception desk at your local County Court offices.

Such a move is easier and cheaper than you may think, but keep a full record of all contacts with the dealership, repairs undertaken etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Aprilia
Ring up your local council's Trading Standards department - they will
inform you exactly what rights, if any, you have.
Unfortunately the car showroom world has completely different values to the
rest of the consumer market it would seem.
It may eventually, if you can't get any satisfaction and have
given the dealer all the rope required to put the car
right, a visit to the small claims court reception desk at
your local County Court offices.
Such a move is easier and cheaper than you may think,
but keep a full record of all contacts with the dealership,
repairs undertaken etc.

Stuartli

Looks to me like the dealer *has* fixed the problems - its just that new problems keep cropping up. The culprit is the manufacturer, not the dealer.
>>The culprit is the manufacturer, not the dealer.>>

With all due respects, it's a 01 model.
>>The culprit is the manufacturer, not the dealer.>>
With all due respects, it's a 01 model.

Should an '01 model have all these problems? No.
These appear to be unrelated problems and it seems that the dealer has actually fixed the problems when they occured. The dealer is not really at fault here - you basically have an unreliable car.
It is difficult to know what to suggest other than trying to dispose of the car and buying something more reliable.
At the risk of getting the Renault fans jumping up and down can I suggest that if reliability is critical and you are not too bothered about the styling then a Nissan Almera would be a good buy. Similar size and a lot less trouble. How about going along to your Nissan dealer and trying for a P/X on the Renault?
Think im gonna push it a bit more with the dealer, maybe get another years warranty and some services thrown in, worth a go at least the motor will be covered for two years.

oh, and .... a Nissan - how dare you!

ps. Im not a great Renault fan, afterall I did say its the wifes car. I have a motorbike.
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - LongDriver {P}
Duff car, not dodgy dealer IMHO.

But then it is a Renault!

(Mods: can I say that? I recall Renault threatened you with legal action for carrying posts from someone I know from another forum regarding the magic electrics in Renaults...)
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - T Lucas
Its your Renault thats the prob,not the dealer,if you value reliability you should not have bought a French car.What make is your bike,and is that reliable?
bike is japanese - suzuki

"with one lady owner from new, the vicar ... oh look she's left her bible under the seat and her cross on the tank"

..... sorry went into used car dealer mode!

starts on the button every time!

I know Ill upset someone when I say B'#&£y french ... godbless the japanese
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Pugugly {P}
"with one lady owner from new"

I remember a guy in work buying a car so described the lady in question was Laura Ashley (as in PLC) he genuinely thought that Laura was a little old lady not a giant company !
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Civic8
>>if you value reliability you should not have bought a French car.

I fail to see where country of origin. comes into it.Any make of motor can give problems..Very often one slips through that causes more trouble than others. Would agree with Aprilia Px it. Dealer has done his best
--
Steve
what does imho mean ??
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Robin Reliant
In my humble opinion.
Consider myself humbled!

8< Snip 8<

Rest of comments deleted. Stick to the facts, not silly comments. DD
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Badger
My 1998 2.0 litre Mégane RXE has covered 66,000 miles for one ignition coil and a dicky switch (apart from usual service items including cam belt at 60,000. Perhaps it's a vendredi night one.
My 1998 2.0 litre Mégane RXE has covered 66,000 miles for
one ignition coil and a dicky switch (apart from usual service
items including cam belt at 60,000. Perhaps it's a vendredi
night one.

Yes, there's always the odd one that slips through....
>>Yes, there's always the odd one that slips through....

You reckon their quality control could have been a bit duff?
..or, alternatively, in my honest opinion....:-)
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Dalglish
Im hoping there is somebody out there that can help me ..
...DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IM ENTITLED TO EXACTLY

>>

1. your best bet is to talk to trading standards and/or citizens advice.

2. do forum search (button under your login) for SOGA sale of goods act and consumer rights rejecting cars

3. imho - forum search for acronyms abbreviations will reveal all.

4. as a general rule, regardless of how carp the product is, under uk law, it is the retailer who is responsible for selling it to you and not the manufacturer fro producing it.

5. renault and nissan are virtually one and the same. again forum search will reveal how they are interlinked.

6. best wishes for success in getting your rights.

nice one - cheers bud!
>>as a general rule, regardless of how carp the product is, under uk law, it is the retailer who is responsible for selling it to you and not the manufacturer fro producing it.>>

I think you mean putting right any problems, faults etc which may arise after it has been purchased by you.

Even so, it should not affect your statutory rights; it's the level of these particular rights in the case of a car purchase that is probably the key issue.

I beleive the words Im looking for is 'the law is an ass'

I may have a better case as I know two other people, who I bumped into that have bought cars which have gone wron too ... alough not to a great extent

Still I cant see the dealer budging, maybe its gonna have to be a saturday morning visit when hes busy and dare I suggest two screaming kids, a less than happy wife and a slightly raised voice!
If the dealer is fixing the faults then I can't see what he's done wrong. Its not his fault that Renault make unreliable cars - goodness knows there's enough data out there in the reliability surveys to make anyone keep clear.

I have some sympathy with the dealer because back in the 1980's we used to sell secondhand cars. Renaults and FIAT *always* came back with the customer screaming - it was almost never our fault - usually some inherent design fault. After one incident with a R25 (which neither we nor the Renault dealer could fix) my father vowed never to sell or service Renaults again - he kept that vow until he retired a few years later.
In contrast we used to love to sell Japanese cars. If the car had a service history you could look the customer in the eye and tell them it was a good car. Not only that, but they would return for service work - so you had a new long-term customer.

Only Jap car we ever sold that cost us money was a Sunny that cracked its cylinder head - mind you it had 300k on the clock!
When you pay top money for a car you expect to get a decent service, this car packed up not 24hrs after it had had an mot and had a full service and been aa inspected. Im not disputing the fact that he is fixing the faults - however, in my eyes there is a problem with this car. At the end of the day its a fleet car (the dealer is fleet company) thats only a few years old with next to no mileage on, which has full service history and has had all the relevant checks prior to leaving the forecourt AND gone wrong on average once a month - that to me says the goods were faulty before they left their premises - its down to the trader to prove that they arnt.......

8< Snip 8<

Let's not have opinions on certain occupations please. I know you're upset about this problem but taking a measured approach is the only way to solve it.

Hugo - BR Moderator
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - DavidHM
that to me says the goods were faulty before they left their premises - its down to the trader to prove that they arnt

this car packed up not 24hrs after it had had an mot and had a full service and been aa inspected

It's only down to the dealer to prove on the balance of proabilities that the car was fit for purpose (it's a car, no problems there), of satisfactory quality (it's not, which is why it's being fixed) and as described (as far as we can tell it is), not beyond all reasonable doubt. I'd have said that a full service and AA inspection would be pretty good evidence that the car sold was free of faults and it's unfortunate that this car has gone wrong in so many ways.

As for the CAPITALS - we understand your point and you clearly feel very strongly but from a purely tactical point, the emotive stuff isn't going to convince the salesperson who is involved in this purely in a commercial, not emotional sense.

I'd be interested to know though how much you paid for the car and how much has been offered in p/x? If it's half what you paid for it, I'd guess that you paid £6k and were offered £3k?
purchase price is over!

Offer price is under !

Not a bad guess!

I think I may get a better deal when he receives the letter from solicitors on Monday morning. Its funny how the offer price went up once I mentioned trading standards and 'could cause bad publicity' and Ive contacted my solicitor.

Im not asking for the world, Im not even asking for a full refund I just want a good deal on another similar car ... How much more cooperative can I be - no fuss - no shouting

Does that sound unreasonable! afterall I could have caused a fuss on Saturday when the car show room was busy - bu thats not my style - maybe that should change!!
I understand you're upset, we all would be. Look at the faults you list though. I'll grant that your first fault could be down to the dealer - but looking at the rest of the faults they just seem to be 'random' faults. There is no 'pattern'. I don't see what the dealer has done wrong - sounds like he's doing his best to help.
I'll think you'll find there are one or two owners of brand new Renaults who have a fault once a month within the first year of ownership! Check out some of the reliability surveys.
Your best option, if reliability is a high priority for you (and it sounds like it is!) is to p/x for a more reliable car. You scoffed at my suggestion of a Nissan, well maybe you know better or you don't like the image of a Nissan badge - but an Almera will do everything a Megane will, with exception of throwing up a stream of faults....
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - machika
I don't know how I dare go out in our Xantia tomorrow after reading this saga!

I will just have to keep telling myself that everything will be fine and, you know what, it will be (yes I know it proves nothing).
no offence on the nissan thing, just not my bag

All in all the cars not bad ... the misus loves it (alough I prefer my mazda 323 s and bike) its got a great safety record and spec'd to the max - I think the only thing its not got is leather! Its just a BIG concern when shes carting the kids round all over the place in a motor thats been nothing but trouble ... I know we are coved if things go wrong but the engine problem nearly caused a smash at the lights last week and it really shook her up .... so you can understand my frustration.

There is a slight pattern in that the aircon problem was (as the mick at Renault) effecting the engine but thats been fixed -so seem wierd that were still having problems.

So its back to the dealer again, alough they tried to fob me off on getting a loan car to the wife on time due to the heavy traffic on the main roads - is it just me or would you not just leave a bit earlier afterall the dealer is only 3 miles down a main road! Thats the attitude that realy gets my goat!!
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Dynamic Dave
afterall I could have caused a fuss on Saturday when the car
show room was busy - bu thats not my style - maybe that should change!!

If it's not your style to kick up a fuss, then why are you doing so here?

You have been offered advice, and in turn all you have done is to be negative about it.

If the car is causing you that much grief, then sell it and suffer the consequences of making a loss. We've all bought a lemon at some point. You're not the first, and you won't certainly be the last.

This thread is about as close as a tailgater sits to a bumper from being locked.

DD. BR Moderator.
DD - point taken !
[snip] if you don't like it, tough. Comments about moderation in e-mail. Mark.
CAR STILL GOING WRONG - HELP - Civic8
>>Does that sound unreasonable! afterall I could have caused a fuss on Saturday when the car show room was busy - bu thats not my style - maybe that should change!!

As has been said..Making a fuss isnt going to help.In any situation like that keep your calm..Always found it works.I would suggest negotiation for another car.during neg.keep calm if you cannot would suggest taking it elsewhere. to do a deal
may get a better one?.You never know
--
Steve