98 1.1 Starting Problem - thumbs
Dear forum members,
My wife's 1998 Peugeot 106 has an intermittent problem which seems to baffle most mechanics. The car will start first time, and drive perfectly well. And then, for no apparant reason it refuses to start the next time it is used which is often only a few hours later.

The engine turns over no probs and there is always plenty of fuel. After a number of attempts to start and after a bit of waiting, the car will suddenly spring into life.

I have read that it could be the fuel injection pump. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 08/02/2008 at 22:47

Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - Dynamic Dave
Some more details please.

Petrol or diesel?
Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - Peter D
Yes I had this exact same problem with an R Plate 98 106 1.1 for 4 months. After fitting some monitor LED's I discovered the Imobiliser was not being satisfied and there was a known fault with this year production Imobiliser aerial which is a black pastic obercoat for the ingition barrel. Cost £15.72 and the lower cowl can be removed without taking the steering off although a bit tight. Changed the unit and has been perfect for 3 months. Whn the car decides to start it runs berfectly immediately no coughing or spluttering or running rich is that correct. email me if you require any more info. Regards Peter
Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Had exactly this prob yesterday on the same vehicle although the law of sod decreed it was a good day for the car and did not misbehave once for me.No fault codes listed so I suspected either immob or main relay fault and because the main relay under the ECU was looking suspect (distorted by excessive internal heat) replaced it and the original fuel filter. Customer has just phoned to say the prob is still there so I shall investigate the immob aerial. Any part numbers would be appreciated Peter.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Hi, The Aerial unit Part Number for an R plate 106 1.1 is
# 616050 easily fitted by undoing the retaining screws ( 3 ) the column surround and sliding the lower cowling away from the dash towards the steering wheel. You will need to use a little force to flex the cowling so it clears the metal bracket under the column that you removed the centre screw from. The cowl will then drop down and the connector ( 6 pin small, 4 pins used ) can be removed from the black Aerial unit that forms the surround of the ignition barrel replace the unit reconnect and test as appropriate, replace cowls screws etc and job done. The 98 model was the first to have the transponder unit rather than the keypad and there was a known reliability issue that came to light and even my small local Pug dealer keeps these units in stock due to the problem. Regards Peter
Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - thumbs
Thanks for the advice. In response to Peter D, yes the car runs perfectly once its started. Just getting it started seems erratic and even sitting and waiting for about half an hour will sometimes aleviate the problem. As I said earlier, we are having the locks and keys changed so do you think this might solve the problem as they will have to install a new barrel for the ignition I would expect.

Simon
Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - thumbs
The car is petrol. Some of the other forum members mentioned the immobiliser. Coincidentally due to a careless third party we are having the locks and keys changed so perhaps this might prove or disprove this theory. Thanks for your help.

Simon
Check the second/spare key gives you the same problem. If they are changing all the Keys ( Why) then if the spare is the same prob then chenage the aerial. Peter
Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - starky
Hi Simon

I am having the same problem and i was wondering if you could let me know how, or if you managed to resolve this problem/

Starky
Peugeot 106 Starting Problem - madf
Son had exactly same problem on a 1998 106. Changed the immobiliser coil as described and fixed it immediately.
As it is such a know problem and cheap repair, it would be my first port of call.