E36 Coupe 320i - Q's - perleman
Hi guys, a few questions about the beloved e36 coupe - I'm keen for one of these little puppies. I drive too fast as it is so I think the 320 is the ideal choice to keep my licence but still have that v6 feeling & sound! Do any of u have any experience or advice to share? I'm keen for leather seats. What should I pay etc, and what milage is realistic to expect?

Also, what exactly does the on board computer option do???

Looking 4ward to your responses soon!

Thanks
E36 Coupe 320i - Q's - GGH
Perleman
If I have read your question correctly I am sorry to have to disappoint you but the 320i is a straight 6 and not two 3's in a v. I prefer the sound and balance of a straight 6 over a v motor, a straight 8 would be better but would be too long to fit under the bonnet. The 320i is a great small engine, but I will go for a 323 next time.
E36 Coupe 320i - Q's - trancer
I have that engine, but in the larger 5 series and while it is not a hot performer it will certainly propel you fast enough to lose your license. The economy isn't great and many have said that the larger sixes give similar if not better fuel economy than the 2.0. If I were buying another petrol BMW I wouldn't consider the 2 litre. While it is a sweet engine, coming from larger V8 engines I find that you have to cane it to get any good performance from it. 3 series seem to sell for more than the 5 series and if you are after the rarer coupe and want leather in it, you will pay top dollar.

The on board computer gives general info such as MPG, miles to empty tank, outside temp etc etc. Some have a speed warning feature that gives an alarm if you exceed a user set speed.
E36 Coupe 320i - Q's - madf
I had an E30 320i - basically the same engine (not quite). Smooth and gutless is how I would describe it..

madf

E36 Coupe 320i - Q's - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
320 is smooth but gutless, 328 a bit better,Watch out for the legendary nickasil premature bore wear problems if applicable, had a couple where the waterpump fell to bits inside causing overheating and cracking of that delicate cylinder head, injector and coil pack probs common.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
E36 Coupe 320i - Q's - John 2002
I've enjoyed a 320 coupe for the past 5 years or so. It's now over 10 years old with nearly 100k miles and still runs as sweet as a nut.
It's the 24 valve with vanos variable valve timing which should be an improvement over the earlier motors.
Usual things are water pump impeller failure, weak viscous fan coupling, split rear shock bushes and front ball joint wear.
Fortunate for me all these were done in the first year or two under the BMW fantastic warranty.
Still the original exhaust and the battery lasted 10 years.
It's the 5 speed swithchable auto which is great in the London traffic and more economical on a long run than the manual due to the mechanical lock up in top and taller gearing.
Does about 30 mpg generally but nearer 40 on a long run.