mk 2 polo - rossjj
Ella, my mk 2 polo has been making some funny noises recently. not knowing a huge amount about these sorts of things i hope you chaps adn chapesses can be of assistance.

the first odd noise is a sort of grating noise as you pull away or speed up. it seems to dissapear with a bit more on the accelerator

second funny noise is a squeaking. it sounds as if it comes from the front wheels and its not there all the time. the noise speeds up as you go faster until its more a sort of whine. it gets louder going round corners.

thats the funny noises. when i was stopped at some lights today my engine cut out. the car and the weather are both fairly cold. it also cut out as i reversed out my space. it seems to splutter an awful lot when its cold, just after its started.

help!

mk 2 polo - Roberson
Hi,

The grating noise could be a rear brake shoe not releasing properly. When you release the handbrake, the shoe should move away from the drum, but in your case, it may be moving only a little bit, and therefore may still be in light contact with the drum. Could be caused by something simple like a poorly adjusted handbrake or a seized brake cylinder.

As for the squeak, well im not sure about that. If it wasn\'t for you saying that it gets louder going round corners, i would be inclined to say that its a dragging brake pad or lazy brake piston. (Could it be a wheel bearing?)Does any of the noises stop if you apply the brakes?

The spluttering is a bit of a common problem on these Polos. I would say, firstly, take a quick look at the hot air duct, that runs from the exhaust manifold at the front of the engine, going to the left hand side of the engine bay, before going in to the air filter housing. The pipe is usually ribbed and silver/brown in colour. Make sure it is present, and properly attached at both ends.

Hope this helps a bit
mk 2 polo - Philiplex
the noise that gets louder around the corners could be a worn wheel bearing. I've had it in the past but i seem to remember that it was more of a rumbling or humming noise - however i guess it could depend on the construction of the bearing.
mk 2 polo - Mapmaker
Carb icing causing the stalling when cold - did it take a few minutes before it would restart?

Failing that, are you using your choke correctly - could cause spluttering & stalling. Try using a little less/more choke. (It doesn't have to be pulled right out, nor pushed right in. You may find that the frst 5 (say) miles running with it just out helps - or if you pull it out when you're approaching traffic lights.)

Apologies for any grandmother-egg-sucking teaching!
mk 2 polo - Another John H
Carb icing causing the stalling when cold - did it take
a few minutes before it would restart?
Failing that, are you using your choke correctly - could cause
spluttering & stalling. Try using a little less/more choke.
(It doesn't have to be pulled right out, nor pushed right
in. You may find that the frst 5 (say) miles
running with it just out helps - or if you pull
it out when you're approaching traffic lights.)
Apologies for any grandmother-egg-sucking teaching!

I've just been down this route with an elderly Polo -
It's likely to be a Pierburg 2e3 with an auto choke.

The subject was done to death here recently

tinyurl.com/3omfz

Any of the following:
blocked port on the carb
perished hose from port to vacuum drawdown unit
popped vacuum drawdown unit
bimetallic spring arrangement
plus anything I've forgotten about..

Mine was the drawdown unit which was less than 20UKP from GSF

www.gsfcarparts.com/