Bike racks/carriers - volvoman
I\'ve just bought Mrs V an early Xmas present in the form of a new mountain bike. There was no problem getting it home inside our MPV as the front wheel and handlebars were removed. It occurs, however, that sooner or later we\'ll want to take it and (if I also decide to buy one in an attempt to keep up with her) possibly another adult bike with us on hols. so I\'m wondering what\'d be the best way to do so.

There seem to be only 3 options:

- remove the front wheels and handlebars and carry inside the car (possible if we\'ve not got too much luggage).

- use a rear facing rack (used one once before on my Volvo 940 estate and hated it as it made access to the rear very awkward)

- Use a top mounted rack (these always look extremely precarious to me - especially on taller vehicles like mine - however the bikes are the lightweight \'A\' frame? alloy type).

The bikes in question are not cheap so security is another real consideration.

Anyone got any other suggestions, ideas or feedback?

Thanks as always.
Bike racks/carriers - romeo156
I have just fitted roof carrier to my alfa.

The system uses roof bars and carriers made by Thule. All have locks that keep it secure. If someone really wanted to, I am sure they could get them off but it would take some time and someone might notice.

The only issues with them are fuel economy, although with the alfa it is not good anyway and there is some wind noise.

Bike racks/carriers - bazza
The roof carriers are fine, perfectly stable provided you load them up properly. I've driven with them right down through France and back without any problems. Fuel economy suffers badly though and they generate a fair amount of wind noise. Also don't forget they're on there! Depending on the type of bike, it's easier to load them on with an assistant.
I also use a towbar mounted carrier from time to time. Drawbacks are no access to the boot, rearward visibility and the hassle of fitting a lighting board each time. Stability is fine though and fuel economy doesn't really suffer significantly.
Baz
Bike racks/carriers - paulvm
Agree with Bazza, have used roof and tow bar mounted bike carriers on a couple of mpv's. The tow bar mounted carrier is great for short trips especially if you do not want to open the back door. The roof mounted racks really do need two people to put bikes on and off safely, and do not forget the extra height! On balance the tow bar mount is easiest, especially if it is a slot in model that can then be placed inside the car.
Bike racks/carriers - PhilW
"I also use a towbar mounted carrier from time to time. Drawbacks are no access to the boot"

I'm sure I have recently seen some advertised that flip down to allow easier access to boot - may have been at Decathlon which seem to have a large range of racks.
Bike racks/carriers - henry k
The roof carriers are fine, perfectly stable provided you load them
up properly. I've driven with them right down through France
and back without any problems. Fuel economy suffers badly though and
they generate a fair amount of wind noise. Also don't forget
they're on there! Depending on the type of bike, it's easier
to load them on with an assistant.

I have used a cheap bike carrier, I bought it half price surprisingly from Toys R Us. It is a basic wheels in gutter with plastic ties and a support bar. I used it, clamped on a roof rack, many times 60 miles to UNI for sons bike with no real problems. I have a low tree in the drive and was always worried I would swing into the drive and ZAP it.
There was no need for security on my trip.
Thule do many versions but not cheap.
www.thule.com/frames.asp?id=8590
Quick look at price list, roof mount 511 front wheel off is £70, 511-1 is £85, Normal type 591 is £75,
Clip on strappless £90 - 120 Boot mount etc.
No mention of locks.
Bike racks/carriers - Nsar
If the handlebars are coming off/twisted round, take the pedals off too, 30 seconds to do, makes a big difference as they really sit flat to the floor.
Bike racks/carriers - Altea Ego
Friend has one on roof, Its a real pain to load it up and take it off, but very secure once there. Bought and used a cheap "strap on the hatch" one from Halfords, carried three bikes no problem, pain to get access to the back tho, and cant be used on the goona cosi it has spoiler and glass top of hatch, so now only gets used on the clio.

Best ones are the very expensive tow bar mounted swing out of the way jobies.
Yes RF, I can imagine that's a real problem especially if you're vertically challenged and/or have a tall car (both categories would apply to me).

As regards carrying inside the car, Nsar's excellent additional suggestion of taking the pedals off yields what I feel is likely to be the answer most of the time although I might splash out on a rear rack for those odd occasions when we might need it. Don't know why I never thought of that - so simple yet so effective.

Thanks all.
Bike racks/carriers - Altea Ego
Made worse by the fact you have to stand on the door sill to get height, and hence get too close to the roof, bending and straining all the wrong bones, muscles, ligaments and disks the wrong way.
Bike racks/carriers - Bromptonaut
Found roof bar mounted gutter type around £20 from Paddy Hopkirk (also Decathlon) work best but on a Xantia or BX which can be "kneeled" to ease loading. Four up needed experimentation to avoid bars and saddles interfering with each other or pedals having to come off. With that sorted I can get bikes on and off as fast as on tailgate mounts.

That said it is really a question of horses for courses. If V man has a tall MPV not only will there be load/unload issues but weight and balance come into the equation as well. Make sure you know the max weight for the roof for your specific model. I notice some Honda mini SUV types, and Nissan X trails (??) are placarded for as little as 50kg on the roof. I'd recommend 75kg to be on the safe side for four bikes adding in the transverse bars and the bike racks before the bikes themselves. Bear in mind as well that even sub teen kiddies bikes can be heavier than a good quality adult MTB.
Yep RF - had another look at it just now and it'd be very hard work getting bikes on/off without stilts or scaffolding :)

Happily, it seems to me though that there's actually plenty of room to stand the bikes inside (upside down minus front wheels & pedals) by simply removing 1 of the 2 rear seats. Needless to say they'd have to be well secured in some manner though.
Bike racks/carriers - patently
If you want a towbar-mounted one then I can point you in the direction of a patented system at:

www.maxxraxx.co.uk/home.html

And how do I know it's patented? Oh, errr, time to admit a connection I suppose....
Bike racks/carriers - Sofa Spud
I have a Halfords high-mount adjustable bike carrier that leaves the rear lights and number plate visible. Basically it rests on the bumper ledge and against the hatch, being held in place by 6 webbing straps. I have carried my mountain bike and my son's BMX type together for hundreds of miles on this rack with no problems.

Before getting one of these you need to check that your car is suitable. In use, as long as you make sure the straps are tight and the bikes are secured properly, there shouldn't be any problems. A little extra care needs to be taken if the bike wheels jut out slightly beyond the width of the car. Also, if you've got an interior mounted spare wheel, jack etc, it's an idea to stow that somewhere where it's easy to access to save having to take the bikes and rack off if you get a puncture on the motorway.

cheers, Sofa Spud

Bike racks/carriers - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I can not recommend a hatch mounted cycle rack.
I used a popular brand on a Mk IV Golf and despite it being tensioned correctly it came off on a slightly bumpy corner, writing off both bikes.

Checking afterwards,a slight twisting of the rack, simulating the action of the bikes when hitting a bump, caused one top webbing hook to let go- then when the twist was relaxed , the other one also let go. This was even with the straps tight in a static situation.
I swapped to a Witter rack fitted to a Towsure towbar.
Similarly on my Passat estate. Fuel consumption does suffer by ~20%.

--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Bike racks/carriers - mlj
If you only have one bike to carry a 'tie on' rack may be fine. I have a Pendle, strongly recommend it. There is a website, 'roofrack.co.uk' sounds likely, that has a search facility through all types of bike carrier for your car. Remember you may need extras if your lights and/or number plates are obscured.
Bike racks/carriers - scotty
I'd just like to add that I too use a Pendle towbar mounted rack. I carry 4 bikes on it and have travelled many thousands of miles with it across Europe. Always been reliable etc. I can fit in 10 seconds - brilliant! Excellent bit of kit. Cost about £90.

Les
Bike racks/carriers - Clanger
I have used a Hollywood bike rack on the back of my MPV. It's towbar mounted, built like a brick outhouse, can carry 4 bikes and has a svivel feature to allow access to the boot. Apart from the indifferent paint finish I would recommend it to anyone. Bikes are secured against theft with a meaty wire strop and padlock.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Bike racks/carriers - JohnM{P}
take a look at the advice on cycle carriers on
www.roofbox.co.uk

(available as a redirect from HJ's Useful Websites)
Bike racks/carriers - HF
Make sure that, whatever you do, you have the bikes properly insured.

My sister (yup there's more than one of us) and her partner recently went on a short trip with expensive bikes, strapped with the proper equipment to the back of their car. On their return to the vehicle both bikes were gone, and their insurance didn't cover the loss.